LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 134 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I can see Joecool's response for any success that Smith might have with the Chiefs -- ".. but it's Charles!"

That was the first thing I got out of it.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by hofer36:
mcnabb was pretty old and beat up whenhe left philly, arguably vick was a failure before he got to philly and kolb had like 4 starts with philly (2 of hich were for over 300yds i beleive) before he was traded

Hold on a second. Vick was a failure yet he went to multiple playoffs?? So what does that make Alex?

Vick's win % in said play off games?

With that said, I don't agree that Vick was a failure going to Phili.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Aug 28, 2013 at 10:26 PM ]
I find it humorous that no matter what team has AS (in this case the Chiefs), those who don't and didn't like him continue to blast the guy. It's like all the other threads about Smith when he was a Niner.

The thread is titled "How many games will the Chiefs win" yet it seems to a lot of you, it's more "How many games will AS win." Like he is the only cog in the machine that matters.

Granted, he plays one of, if not, the most important position in the game yet the hatred for the guy clearly shows by some of the post within this thread. It's at that point that its reminiscent of the last how many years when he was a Niner.

The Mods are discussing if we should let this thread live or if we should lock it. Personally, IMO, if it continues to be a b***hfest about AS, I think we should lock it up. There is nothing really new anyone can add in the discussion if it stays about AS. BUT I realize that the thread is about the Chiefs and how many games we think they can win. That is what we're talking about, right??? In that sense, I think the topic is a valid one since it dictates what we will receive as a compensation for the trade.

For those of you who have been civil and talk about the Chiefs as a team, thank you. For those who come in here just to talk about Alex, to incite the others, I guess certain things will never change.

With that said, anyone caught posting anything to incite the mass regarding AS, let it be known that we will go back in our ways of handing warnings, if not banning, posters altogether. If some of you can't talk about another team AS A TEAM, then you have no business being in this thread. Debates are good if done in good taste but I all you can do is to b***h about ONE GUY on this team, then it's no different than when he was with us.

Originally posted by kidash98:
I find it humorous that no matter what team has AS (in this case the Chiefs), those who don't and didn't like him continue to blast the guy. It's like all the other threads about Smith when he was a Niner.

The thread is titled "How many games will the Chiefs win" yet it seems to a lot of you, it's more "How many games will AS win." Like he is the only cog in the machine that matters.

Granted, he plays one of, if not, the most important position in the game yet the hatred for the guy clearly shows by some of the post within this thread. It's at that point that its reminiscent of the last how many years when he was a Niner.

The Mods are discussing if we should let this thread live or if we should lock it. Personally, IMO, if it continues to be a b***hfest about AS, I think we should lock it up. There is nothing really new anyone can add in the discussion if it stays about AS. BUT I realize that the thread is about the Chiefs and how many games we think they can win. That is what we're talking about, right??? In that sense, I think the topic is a valid one since it dictates what we will receive as a compensation for the trade.

For those of you who have been civil and talk about the Chiefs as a team, thank you. For those who come in here just to talk about Alex, to incite the others, I guess certain things will never change.

With that said, anyone caught posting anything to incite the mass regarding AS, let it be known that we will go back in our ways of handing warnings, if not banning, posters altogether. If some of you can't talk about another team AS A TEAM, then you have no business being in this thread. Debates are good if done in good taste but I all you can do is to b***h about ONE GUY on this team, then it's no different than when he was with us.

Yet the honest truth is, the only reason this thread even exists in the NFL Talk forum is because of Alex Smith.

You don't see any "How many games will the Dolphins win" popping up.

So if it's here because of Smith, does it not make sense to include him in the conversation, whether the feedback is positive or negative?
Originally posted by zillabeast:

Yet the honest truth is, the only reason this thread even exists in the NFL Talk forum is because of Alex Smith.

So if it's here because of Smith, does it not make sense to include him in the conversation, whether the feedback is positive or negative?

On technicality, it is. But the question raised was "How many games will the Chiefs win" not "how many games will AS win."

As stated, a good debate can be had if done properly even with the infamous one included in the subject. It's when AS becomes the focus and those that are pro/anti gets into it that it becomes redundant and tiresome.

It's a simple request we are asking each and all of those who frequent this thread: discuss the subject with civility and don't incite others. The same exact thing we've always asked when it came to the infamous one. Whether he was a Niner, or in this case, not.

Originally posted by zillabeast:

That one belongs to Kaep
Comparing the Chiefs with their division rivals' starters, on paper they look pretty good.

Chiefs
QB Alex Smith
RB Jamaal Charles
FB Anthony Sherman
WR Dwayne Bowe
WR Donnie Avery
TE Anthony Fasano
TE Travis Kelce
LT Branden Albert
LG Jeff Allen
C Rodney Hudson
RG Jon Asamoah
RT Eric Fisher

DE Tyson Jackson
NT Dontari Poe
DE Mike DeVito
OLB Justin Houston
ILB Akeem Jordan
ILB Derrick Johnson
OLB Tamba Hali
CB Brandon Flowers
CB Sean Smith
FS Kendrick Lewis
SS Eric Berry

Chargers
QB Philip Rivers
RB Ryan Matthews
FB Le'Ron McClain
WR Malcolm Floyd
WR Eddie Royal
TE Antonio Gates
LT King Dunlap
LG Chad Rhinehart
C Nick Hardwick
RG Jeromey Clary
RT D.J. Fluker

DE Corey Liuget
NT Cam Thomas
DE Kendall Reyes
OLB Dwight Freeney
ILB Manti T'eo
ILB Donald Butler
OLB Jarrett Johnson
CB Shereece Wright
CB Derek Cox
FS Eric Weddle
SS Marcus Gilchrist

Broncos
QB Peyton Manning
RB Montee Ball
FB Jacob Hester
WR Demaryius Thomas
WR Eric Decker
WR Wes Welker
TE Joel Dreesen
LT Ryan Clady
LG Zane Beadles
C Manny Ramirez
RG Louis Vasquez
RT Orland Franklin

DE Derek Wolfe
DT Kevin Vickerson
DT Terrance Knighton/Sylvester Williams
DE Robert Ayers
OLB Von Miller (Shaun Phillips will start until suspension is over)
ILB Nate Irving
OLB Wesley Woodyard
CB Champ Bailey
CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
FS Rahim Moore
SS Mike Adams

Raiders
QB Matt Flynn or Terrell Pryor (still not clear yet)
RB Darren McFadden
FB Marcel Reece
WR Denarius Moore
WR Rod Streater
TE Richard Gordon
LT Alex Barron/Menelik Watson
LG Lucas Nix
C Stefan Wiesniewski
RG Mike Brisiel
RT Khalif Barnes

DE Lamar Houston
DT Vance Walker
DT Pat Sims
DE Jason Hunter
OLB Kevin Burnett
ILB Nick Roach
OLB Sio Moore
CB Tracy Porter
CB Michael Jenkins
FS Charles Woodson
SS Tyvon Branch
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
So much nonsense has been spewed by some that even mostly logical posters try and give it some credence...but it is what it is--untruth.

Most of the Smith supporters, such as the two of us, agree to all or some of

• The draft was weak when Alex Smith was drafted #1.
  • Smith was an excellent college QB who was in the running for Heisman, but was not considered to be elite by many pundits.
  • Smith was unlucky enough to be drafted by a team who thought Nolan was a HC.
  • Numerous OCs--new one almost every year.
  • New systems yearly.
  • Injury misdiagnosed--Nolan wins dumb coach of the year award.
  • Upswing in Smith's career when Jimmy Raye was fired and then two years of very good QBing.
  • Injury allowed a super athlete to take over making Smith expendable (and un-affordable).
  • Smith now playing for a WCO offensive minded HC.
  • We all wonder if he will continue to improve and live up to his potential.

This is not the list of a fanatic who sees no wrong with Smith, but is an example of historical reality. Those who want to deny any and all good are doing so for some odd reason--like to tweak fellow posters, enjoy hating people, were disappointed and can't get over it...none of these reasons scream mature behavior.

best post in this thread
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Comparing the Chiefs with their division rivals' starters, on paper they look pretty good.

Yeah, most seem to agree with you on this. They are a bit questionable on the OL... don't yet love their DE depth.. don't like their WR depth behind Bowe and Avery much.. Most teams have some issues, whether injuries or simply lack of proven talent. We'll see if the coaches can get these players starting out with some cohesion.

On technicality, it is. But the question raised was "How many games will the Chiefs win" not "how many games will AS win."

As stated, a good debate can be had if done properly even with the infamous one included in the subject. It's when AS becomes the focus and those that are pro/anti gets into it that it becomes redundant and tiresome.

It's a simple request we are asking each and all of those who frequent this thread: discuss the subject with civility and don't incite others. The same exact thing we've always asked when it came to the infamous one. Whether he was a Niner, or in this case, not.

When is the QB ever not the focus of a team's winning or losing?

Chiefs
QB Alex Smith
RB Jamaal Charles
FB Anthony Sherman
WR Dwayne Bowe
WR Donnie Avery
TE Anthony Fasano
TE Travis Kelce
LT Branden Albert
LG Jeff Allen
C Rodney Hudson
RG Jon Asamoah
RT Eric Fisher

DE Tyson Jackson
NT Dontari Poe
DE Mike DeVito
OLB Justin Houston
ILB Akeem Jordan
ILB Derrick Johnson
OLB Tamba Hali
CB Brandon Flowers
CB Sean Smith
FS Kendrick Lewis
SS Eric Berry

With the exception of the Broncos, they should beat everyone in the division. The big concern, imo, is the offensive line. It SEEMS to be getting better, but it reminds me of the 2011 season here with the rough start. We'll see if it works out as well for them as it did for us.

Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Yeah, most seem to agree with you on this. They are a bit questionable on the OL... don't yet love their DE depth.. don't like their WR depth behind Bowe and Avery much.. Most teams have some issues, whether injuries or simply lack of proven talent. We'll see if the coaches can get these players starting out with some cohesion.

Agree for the most part. I think there are some questions beyond the first 2 WRs. Dexter McCluster has the speed, hopefully he can learn to work on his hands. Aj Jenkins is a project that may or may not pan out, but I'm kinda interested to see what happens with Junior Hemingway. He had a big play that now has him on the coaching radar as an up arrow.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Agree for the most part. I think there are some questions beyond the first 2 WRs. Dexter McCluster has the speed, hopefully he can learn to work on his hands. Aj Jenkins is a project that may or may not pan out, but I'm kinda interested to see what happens with Junior Hemingway. He had a big play that now has him on the coaching radar as an up arrow.

Yeah, sounded like Hemmingway was making a pretty nice impression in TC before getting dinged up a bit. I would love for Kelce to have shined in TC and preseason, but so far, I can only think of the word disappointment when I assess him thus far.
I think Chiefs win the division with 10 or 11 wins. Broncos defense has been getting worse every year for the last 3 years. I think Manning will not be able to carry the load as much as he used to.

Chiefs defense is better than any other team in that division. That alone makes them a top 2 team in that division.

Their OL does have questions but the style of play of their RB can easily work around that with some receptions and stretch runs that tire out a DL and make it easier for the OL later in games.

As much as Alex Smith can't do, one thing he can do is not mess up a good thing which is a MAJOR strength of his. He just needs to hope that Andy Reid will stay patient with having to work hard every game to score rather than attempting big plays on a normal count.
I think Andy Reid will be the Harbaugh of 2011. Real conservative offense early. Lean on the defense to keep the game close. Mistakes on offense to the minimum. High percentage football. Give your team a chance to win at the end of the game. Let the offense evolved and catchup to speed. I think Smith will be a very good leader on offense for them in terms of keeping the other offensive guys motivated and focus, because he went through almost the exact same situation in 2011. They will be down and behind in some games just like 2011. And hopefully Smith and their offense can respond like the Niners in 2011.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 29, 2013 at 9:27 AM ]
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by Jakemall:

Yeah, sounded like Hemmingway was making a pretty nice impression in TC before getting dinged up a bit. I would love for Kelce to have shined in TC and preseason, but so far, I can only think of the word disappointment when I assess him thus far.

Kelce better step up because Moeaki fractured a bone in his shoulder...unless Fasano surprises.
Share 49ersWebzone