LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 348 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Originally posted by dj43:

I think it shows poorly for alleged 49er fans to stoop so low as to go to another team's board and run down a starting player on their team. Reflects poorly on the poster.

Just saying...

Definitely. I get why Alex fans would take a detour from SF boards on occasion to see what's up with him and the KC discussions... but that haters are over there too!

hater X - "yeah, I am so happy now that Alex is gone, and people can finally STFU about him!"
same hater X - "gotta get over to a KC forum (or SF subforum) and talk about him some more!!! just gotta!"

• Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
well, then Alex just got lucky is all, dammit!

He's not exciting cuz he don't put up the big chunk yards much none... so he sux.

Some people have just allowed their football IQ to be affected by Sportscenter. There isn't much that Smith does that is flashy, brilliant, or highlight worthy. That doesn't make him a bad QB, but for those that yearn for highlights, they're constantly left unsatisfied. It takes a true student of the game to appreciate what Smith brings to a team, and as a QB.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Some people have just allowed their football IQ to be affected by Sportscenter. There isn't much that Smith does that is flashy, brilliant, or highlight worthy. That doesn't make him a bad QB, but for those that yearn for highlights, they're constantly left unsatisfied. It takes a true student of the game to appreciate what Smith brings to a team, and as a QB.

I would easily agree that this is part of the issue for some.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:

I think it shows poorly for alleged 49er fans to stoop so low as to go to another team's board and run down a starting player on their team. Reflects poorly on the poster.

Just saying...

Definitely. I get why Alex fans would take a detour from SF boards on occasion to see what's up with him and the KC discussions... but that haters are over there too!

hater X - "yeah, I am so happy now that Alex is gone, and people can finally STFU about him!"
same hater X - "gotta get over to a KC forum (or SF subforum) and talk about him some more!!! just gotta!"

This is what absolutely boggles my mind. For people who profess to "hate" Smith so much, they sure do spend a lot of time trying to tear him down. If he's so bad, why do they have to try so hard to make him look bad? If they "hate" talking about him so much, why do the revel in joining in - even to the point where they join another team's message board.

It reminds of elementary school, where you would pick on the girl that you liked, so that it appeared that you didn't actually like her. Or people who are against gay rights, but are actually secretly... Eh, never mind...
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
Oh, I don't know about ONLY difference... but it's a pretty glaring advantage that the others share. You disagree with proper development in the early years plus consistent scheme equaling quite a hefty advantage for a QB?

Development and familiarity are key advantages, but I think the main difference between those QBs and Alex is ability.

Smith is not any of those guys, to be sure. Hell, he may not even be top 10. But he is better than some give him credit for.

All success that he's had - no credit to him.
All failures that he'd had - all on him.

That is what irks me.

Playing to not lose...shouldn't get credit for the win. Defense and ST won most of the games in 2011.

look at the way AS had to start out the game against the steelers..there is no way he can do that the whole game..and i'm not talking about stats..im talking about the tempo he had to use to get the ball out to the receivers.

he is a good dude..but just a stop gap player who knows his limits
not hating its just the truth..Proof you might say?

he was a UFA and only one team called after his best W/L record ever

Harbaugh didn't want AS starting after only one performance of a QB who was still green

Now here's the kicker...

AS yearly stats are no different from any year..The only thing he approved on was not taking chances which gave him a higher % but ended up with the same results

You just proved my point. It DOES NOT MATTER what he does - your opinion is not. ever. going. to. change. You will find a way to discredit and explain away any modicum of success - The Saints, 18-19, winning seasons, come back victories, future success (should it come) in KC... all of it. ZERO. CREDIT. EVER.

It is NOT the truth, but it is YOUR truth... and that's why (a) there is no point debating with you and (b) you should be voluntarily staying out of this thread. The guy's a BUM, right? WHY WASTE YOUR TIME? WHY?

I like his last comment because that is not of opinion or eye test, it's a stat.
Agreed on the bolded. But there are - max - 1-2 people here that think Smith is a hall of famer that can do no wrong. Most people think that he is good or above average, and acknowledge that he's got flaws.

..on the other hand, there are about a dozen who will never give him any credit or, in the case of a few, have recently forgotten past credit given. These people attack any and all postives and claim that anyone who feels that Smith is decent to good and got a bad rap is an "Alex Lover," etc.

I figure to be the biggest Alex supporter here, and yet have said many times that he is not elite or without flaw.

So I feel compelled to ask out of curiosities sake... would you feel free to say WHO feels the bolded?

I was thinking of you. You are the most avid supporter that came to mind. I guess that I was wrong.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Oh, I don't know about ONLY difference... but it's a pretty glaring advantage that the others share. You disagree with proper development in the early years plus consistent scheme equaling quite a hefty advantage for a QB?

Development and familiarity are key advantages, but I think the main difference between those QBs and Alex is ability.

Smith is not any of those guys, to be sure. Hell, he may not even be top 10. But he is better than some give him credit for.

That is what irks me.

Playing to not lose...shouldn't get credit for the win. Defense and ST won most of the games in 2011.

look at the way AS had to start out the game against the steelers..there is no way he can do that the whole game..and i'm not talking about stats..im talking about the tempo he had to use to get the ball out to the receivers.

Harbaugh didn't want AS starting after only one performance of a QB who was still green

Now here's the kicker...

AS yearly stats are no different from any year..The only thing he approved on was not taking chances which gave him a higher % but ended up with the same results

You just proved my point. It DOES NOT MATTER what he does - your opinion is not. ever. going. to. change. You will find a way to discredit and explain away any modicum of success - The Saints, 18-19, winning seasons, come back victories, future success (should it come) in KC... all of it. ZERO. CREDIT. EVER.

It is NOT the truth, but it is YOUR truth... and that's why (a) there is no point debating with you and (b) you should be voluntarily staying out of this thread. The guy's a BUM, right? WHY WASTE YOUR TIME? WHY?

I like his last comment because that is not of opinion or eye test, it's a stat.

But you spend so much time discrediting STATS when they aren't in line with your agenda.
Originally posted by HomerJ:

That is what irks me.

Now here's the kicker...

But you spend so much time discrediting STATS when they aren't in line with your agenda.

My agenda? You mean the general agreement across the league of Alex Smith, including our own coach? We ripped the Chiefs off.
[ Edited by Joecool on Aug 28, 2013 at 4:38 PM ]

My agenda? You mean the general agreement across the league of Alex Smith, including our own coach? We ripped the Chiefs off.

The general agreement that led to him being traded for an early 2nd rounder + another 2nd rounder? Hmmm... is that the general agreement you mean?

The general agreement that led to him being traded for an early 2nd rounder + another 2nd rounder? Hmmm... is that the general agreement you mean?

That's a team-specific decision no different to draft Jemarcus Russell in the first round.

That's a team-specific decision no different to draft Jemarcus Russell in the first round.

Russell was an unknown. Smith, not so much.
Originally posted by HomerJ:

Russell was an unknown. Smith, not so much.

yep.

not really your day for this. Might want to call it a night... regroup.. come back tomorrow, ya know?
Good God, people. This thread is an extended moan of utter futility. Smith doesn't play for us any more. Whatever your feelings about his ability, get over it. This thread is about the Chiefs win/loss record. If you still have issues about Smith one way or another after all these posts, try therapy.
I figure to be the biggest Alex supporter here, and yet have said many times that he is not elite or without flaw.

So I feel compelled to ask out of curiosities sake... would you feel free to say WHO feels the bolded?

So much nonsense has been spewed by some that even mostly logical posters try and give it some credence...but it is what it is--untruth.

Most of the Smith supporters, such as the two of us, agree to all or some of

• The draft was weak when Alex Smith was drafted #1.
  • Smith was an excellent college QB who was in the running for Heisman, but was not considered to be elite by many pundits.
  • Smith was unlucky enough to be drafted by a team who thought Nolan was a HC.
  • Numerous OCs--new one almost every year.
  • New systems yearly.
  • Injury misdiagnosed--Nolan wins dumb coach of the year award.
  • Upswing in Smith's career when Jimmy Raye was fired and then two years of very good QBing.
  • Injury allowed a super athlete to take over making Smith expendable (and un-affordable).
  • Smith now playing for a WCO offensive minded HC.
  • We all wonder if he will continue to improve and live up to his potential.

This is not the list of a fanatic who sees no wrong with Smith, but is an example of historical reality. Those who want to deny any and all good are doing so for some odd reason--like to tweak fellow posters, enjoy hating people, were disappointed and can't get over it...none of these reasons scream mature behavior.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
So much nonsense has been spewed by some that even mostly logical posters try and give it some credence...but it is what it is--untruth.

Most of the Smith supporters, such as the two of us, agree to all or some of

• The draft was weak when Alex Smith was drafted #1.
  • Smith was an excellent college QB who was in the running for Heisman, but was not considered to be elite by many pundits.
  • Smith was unlucky enough to be drafted by a team who thought Nolan was a HC.
  • Numerous OCs--new one almost every year.
  • New systems yearly.
  • Injury misdiagnosed--Nolan wins dumb coach of the year award.
  • Upswing in Smith's career when Jimmy Raye was fired and then two years of very good QBing.
  • Injury allowed a super athlete to take over making Smith expendable (and un-affordable).
  • Smith now playing for a WCO offensive minded HC.
  • We all wonder if he will continue to improve and live up to his potential.

This is not the list of a fanatic who sees no wrong with Smith, but is an example of historical reality. Those who want to deny any and all good are doing so for some odd reason--like to tweak fellow posters, enjoy hating people, were disappointed and can't get over it...none of these reasons scream mature behavior.

Truly the best post in this entire thread. Every point made is as if you read my mind.

You deserve these.
Share 49ersWebzone