LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Playing to not lose...shouldn't get credit for the win. Defense and ST won most of the games in 2011.

look at the way AS had to start out the game against the steelers..there is no way he can do that the whole game..and i'm not talking about stats..im talking about the tempo he had to use to get the ball out to the receivers.

he is a good dude..but just a stop gap player who knows his limits
not hating its just the truth..Proof you might say?

he was a UFA and only one team called after his best W/L record ever

Harbaugh didn't want AS starting after only one performance of a QB who was still green

Now here's the kicker...

AS yearly stats are no different from any year..The only thing he approved on was not taking chances which gave him a higher % but ended up with the same results

There is so many things just wrong and ignorant about this post... not going to go through this recycled trash, because you obviously choose to overlook it when explained many times already.

... and yet, here you still are... even after saying you will go away... but you just can not.
it's hard..it's not like this is the only place that is divided about AS right ?
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Playing to not lose...shouldn't get credit for the win. Defense and ST won most of the games in 2011.

look at the way AS had to start out the game against the steelers..there is no way he can do that the whole game..and i'm not talking about stats..im talking about the tempo he had to use to get the ball out to the receivers.

he is a good dude..but just a stop gap player who knows his limits
not hating its just the truth..Proof you might say?

he was a UFA and only one team called after his best W/L record ever

Harbaugh didn't want AS starting after only one performance of a QB who was still green

Now here's the kicker...

AS yearly stats are no different from any year..The only thing he approved on was not taking chances which gave him a higher % but ended up with the same results

There is so many things just wrong and ignorant about this post... not going to go through this recycled trash, because you obviously choose to overlook it when explained many times already.

... and yet, here you still are... even after saying you will go away... but you just can not.

Yeah... I started to fact check this stuff. Again. (For example - http://www.nfl.com/player/alexsmith/2506340/careerstats)...

then I realized that there is no point. Perception IS reality. Nothing will change that.

I just don't understand why it is so important to spend so much time beating on the guy and finding new ways to not acknowledge any positives.

Anyway.... I've derailed this thread enough and said my piece.

Later.
Fact check ?

what 2500 passing yards 15 TDs rough avg without the math..not counting injured years

i dont see the importance trying to make some who is not..
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Aug 28, 2013 at 2:35 PM ]
I'm out till the reg season

see you guys soon ..go Alex
I ran a fact check on this. I'm not seeing #32 no matter how you slice it - points, yards, etc. In fact, pretty good pass D for the Cards last year...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPointsPerGame/position/defense

And

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=321029022

I looked at rushing yards instead of passing yards. Go ahead and gloat.
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
I ran a fact check on this. I'm not seeing #32 no matter how you slice it - points, yards, etc. In fact, pretty good pass D for the Cards last year...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPointsPerGame/position/defense

And

I looked at rushing yards instead of passing yards. Go ahead and gloat.

No gloating. But I do thing that it illustrates a point: The perception may not be the reality.

The truth is out there.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for InHarbsWeTrust.
You just proved my point. It DOES NOT MATTER what he does - your opinion is not. ever. going. to. change. You will find a way to discredit and explain away any modicum of success - The Saints, 18-19, winning seasons, come back victories, future success (should it come) in KC... all of it. ZERO. CREDIT. EVER.

It is NOT the truth, but it is YOUR truth... and that's why (a) there is no point debating with you and (b) you should be voluntarily staying out of this thread. The guy's a BUM, right? WHY WASTE YOUR TIME? WHY?

You can flip this and say the same for those who find ways to excuse all the negatives in his game as well...or downplay the play of other players to prop up Alex. No one side is right in this "battle". There are extremes on either side and the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

If Smith crashes and burns I'm sure every excuse will be made for him. If he has a pro bowl season, there will be detractors. It is what it is.
You just proved my point. It DOES NOT MATTER what he does - your opinion is not. ever. going. to. change. You will find a way to discredit and explain away any modicum of success - The Saints, 18-19, winning seasons, come back victories, future success (should it come) in KC... all of it. ZERO. CREDIT. EVER.

It is NOT the truth, but it is YOUR truth... and that's why (a) there is no point debating with you and (b) you should be voluntarily staying out of this thread. The guy's a BUM, right? WHY WASTE YOUR TIME? WHY?

You can flip this and say the same for those who find ways to excuse all the negatives in his game as well...or downplay the play of other players to prop up Alex. No one side is right in this "battle". There are extremes on either side and the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

If Smith crashes and burns I'm sure every excuse will be made for him. If he has a pro bowl season, there will be detractors. It is what it is.

Agreed on the bolded. But there are - max - 1-2 people here that think Smith is a hall of famer that can do no wrong. Most people think that he is good or above average, and acknowledge that he's got flaws.

..on the other hand, there are about a dozen who will never give him any credit or, in the case of a few, have recently forgotten past credit given. These people attack any and all postives and claim that anyone who feels that Smith is decent to good and got a bad rap is an "Alex Lover," etc.
Agreed on the bolded. But there are - max - 1-2 people here that think Smith is a hall of famer that can do no wrong. Most people think that he is good or above average, and acknowledge that he's got flaws.

..on the other hand, there are about a dozen who will never give him any credit or, in the case of a few, have recently forgotten past credit given. These people attack any and all postives and claim that anyone who feels that Smith is decent to good and got a bad rap is an "Alex Lover," etc.

I figure to be the biggest Alex supporter here, and yet have said many times that he is not elite or without flaw.

So I feel compelled to ask out of curiosities sake... would you feel free to say WHO feels the bolded?
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Yeah, it worked out really well for AZ..remember that game? 18 for 19?

The 32nd ranked defense.

And

4 teams gave up fewer yards in the air than AZ. Pittsburg, Jets, Denver and the 9ers.
Originally posted by Joecool:
The eye test is great for Joe, because it give him license to be completely subjective in substantiating his "facts". It also allows for the disqualification of examples that run counter to those "facts".

Example:

Originally posted by Joecool:
The biggest difference between Alex Smith and other top QB's is that most of the QB's attempt higher level of difficultly throws whereas Alex will not.

Hey Joe, what about that pass Alex threaded to VD in the play offs for the victory?

A: That was a one off example. Alex is not capable of making that throw on a consistent basis.

Hey Joe, what about the pass to Walker for the victory over Detroit.

A: Yeah sure, Alex might make that throw 2 or 3 times in a year, but again he can't do it on a regular basis and certainly can't do it outside of the hash marks.

Hey Joe, what about that long bomb to VD against the Bengals where he was tightly covered? Or the pass to Crabtree right afterwards between 2 defenders?

A: Well the pass to Crabtree was called back so it doesn't count. Alex does better throwing the ball to VD, but he's not a WR, so that's not what we're talking about.

This fantastic analysis appears to have been overlooked.

No one needs the eye test for that. It is obvious to the blind. The dude doesn't attempt anywhere near the number of difficult throws as compared to the top QB's in the league.

Not sure what your point of giving 2 or even 8 as examples. These other dudes do this every game.
His point was made in the opening paragraph: The eye test is great for Joe, because it give him license to be completely subjective in substantiating his "facts". It also allows for the disqualification of examples that run counter to those "facts".

There's got to be some kind of punch line in that Joe speaks of the blind while missing the first paragraph of what I said.

4 teams gave up fewer yards in the air than AZ. Pittsburg, Jets, Denver and the 9ers.

well, then Alex just got lucky is all, dammit!

He's not exciting cuz he don't put up the big chunk yards much none... so he sux.

I figure to be the biggest Alex supporter here, and yet have said many times that he is not elite or without flaw.

So I feel compelled to ask out of curiosities sake... would you feel free to say WHO feels the bolded?

I remember a time or two some guys coming on here with irrational support of Alex. I believe one of them became a chief fan when he left.

Personally, I think Alex is a top 10 qb and might even earn his way to top 5 eventually, but I don't feel he's proven that yet.

well, then Alex just got lucky is all, dammit!

He's not exciting cuz he don't put up the big chunk yards much none... so he sux.

I keep hearing how Alex can't succeed if he's going to be safe all the time because teams will cheat in. Every defense in the NFL has film on Alex. If they could stop him, they would. More, If every QB in the NFL could do what Alex does, all but a few would.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Aug 28, 2013 at 3:18 PM ]
  • dj43

It is humorous to see how far some of those people take it. From the time I have spent on KC boards in the recent past, it is obvious some of those posters have spent a good deal of time over there running Smith down on every occasion. In some cases their rants have had an impact on true KC fans. However, a couple of times KC fans have told them to "go take your junk back to SF. You aren't a Chiefs fan anyway."

I think it shows poorly for alleged 49er fans to stoop so low as to go to another team's board and run down a starting player on their team. Reflects poorly on the poster.

Just saying...
I keep hearing how Alex can't succeed if he's going to be safe all the time because teams will cheat in. Every defense in the NFL has film on Alex. If they could stop him, they would. More, If every QB in the NFL could do what Alex does, all but a few would.

Yeah, I think I joked about this a page or so back when someone said there was a clear blueprint to beat Alex. I am a fan of his and even I am tired of all the pointless talk. I mean, dude hasn't even taken a meaningful snap as a Chief. Imagine this place when he does... this thread will dominate all on the entire WZ... but only if he struggles..

( or I guess in the case that he does well and a few people compliment his play even marginally... then it will be "oh, the team is carrying his arse" or "great! it took him 30 years to become even average!" )
Share 49ersWebzone