LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 218 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
5-11

AS will have his normal career avg

220 pas yrds 1.2 TDs a game.. The Defense and Special teams can't do it every game
Originally posted by vrabbit:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/schedule/_/name/kc/kansas-city-chiefs

9-7

damn, you can get into a Browns game for $16
Wow you really stumped him there.."Yet you are here"

Can you really give a better answer to why you always give excuses for AS since he is has better percentages then the top pro bowlers of the league ?

Well, look who is HERE, and said that he wouldn't be!

I'll say this much about the aforementioned QBs.. Luck is/was regarded as a once in a decade type of prospect... Alex? not so much. Still, let us not act like Luck was flawless and wonderful already. Good, all things considered? Oh yeah. Still.. couldn't even hit 55% of his passes? a 76.5 rating with 18 INTs and 8 games with a 75 or less rating? Still nice for a rookie for sure. As for the other 3, guys with that level of speed and athleticism get a HUGE advantage when it comes to learning on the fly. They also leave defenses to catch up to them by studying how to defend them, and that speed and athleticism can mask the learning curve deficiencies.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Can you really give a better answer to why you always give excuses for AS since he is has better percentages then the top pro bowlers of the league ?

I'll say this much about the aforementioned QBs.. Luck is/was regarded as a once in a decade type of prospect... Alex? not so much. Still, let us not act like Luck was flawless and wonderful already. Good, all things considered? Oh yeah. Still.. couldn't even hit 55% of his passes? a 76.5 rating with 18 INTs and 8 games with a 75 or less rating? Still nice for a rookie for sure. As for the other 3, guys with that level of speed and athleticism get a HUGE advantage when it comes to learning on the fly. They also leave defenses to catch up to them by studying how to defend them, and that speed and athleticism can mask the learning curve deficiencies.

Hell will probably freeze over the day you mention, "Alex needs to show that he belongs with the best on a consistent basis." or "Alex needs to take this over." or "Alex needs to "step it up"."

Until then, I will always see nothing but,

"The [insert position] around him needs to get better."
"He needs time to build trust."
"Coach called a terrible game."

If I am such a hater of Alex, then why do I agree that Colin choked at the end of the Superbowl?

You will never see that it's not about the stats. It's about what is seen on the field. The biggest difference between Alex Smith and other top QB's is that most of the QB's attempt higher level of difficultly throws whereas Alex will not.

I am VERY sure that Luck can play super safe, take more sacks and throw more balls short of the first down to turn out a higher efficiency rating.
Originally posted by Joecool:
You will never see that it's not about the stats. It's about what is seen on the field. The biggest difference between Alex Smith and other top QB's is that most of the QB's attempt higher level of difficultly throws whereas Alex will not.

I am VERY sure that Luck can play super safe, take more sacks and throw more balls short of the first down to turn out a higher efficiency rating.

Nah, man... the "eye-test" can really screw with reality for people determined to see what they want to see. Now sure, you can always flip that back on me... but all I ever really said or believe is that Alex is a good quarterback. Never said he was elite.. never said he was flawless... just good.

Alex did not attempt more difficult throws... this, we know. What we can only speculate about is this... is Alex afraid to because he thinks he is limited and can't make tough throws? Or is Alex not taking great risks because he didn't need to? Think Jim and Roman wanted him to, when they have been quoted as saying sacks are better than forcing bad throws?

If Reid demands that Alex make more risky and aggressive throws... and many think he will.. THEN we will see what Alex does. Not in preseason... but games that count.

Will you at least agree that a QB in a consistent scheme year to year... with consistent targets that he built chemistry with.. this QB has a better advantage than a QB without these things? What say you.. and no side-stepping.
The eye test is great for Joe, because it give him license to be completely subjective in substantiating his "facts". It also allows for the disqualification of examples that run counter to those "facts".

Example:

The biggest difference between Alex Smith and other top QB's is that most of the QB's attempt higher level of difficultly throws whereas Alex will not.

Hey Joe, what about that pass Alex threaded to VD in the play offs for the victory?

A: That was a one off example. Alex is not capable of making that throw on a consistent basis.

Hey Joe, what about the pass to Walker for the victory over Detroit.

A: Yeah sure, Alex might make that throw 2 or 3 times in a year, but again he can't do it on a regular basis and certainly can't do it outside of the hash marks.

Hey Joe, what about that long bomb to VD against the Bengals where he was tightly covered? Or the pass to Crabtree right afterwards between 2 defenders?

A: Well the pass to Crabtree was called back so it doesn't count. Alex does better throwing the ball to VD, but he's not a WR, so that's not what we're talking about.

Nah, man... the "eye-test" can really screw with reality for people determined to see what they want to see. Now sure, you can always flip that back on me... but all I ever really said or believe is that Alex is a good quarterback. Never said he was elite.. never said he was flawless... just good.

Alex did not attempt more difficult throws... this, we know. What we can only speculate about is this... is Alex afraid to because he thinks he is limited and can't make tough throws? Or is Alex not taking great risks because he didn't need to? Think Jim and Roman wanted him to, when they have been quoted as saying sacks are better than forcing bad throws?

If Reid demands that Alex make more risky and aggressive throws... and many think he will.. THEN we will see what Alex does. Not in preseason... but games that count.

Will you at least agree that a QB in a consistent scheme year to year... with consistent targets that he built chemistry with.. this QB has a better advantage than a QB without these things? What say you.. and no side-stepping.

It is obvious that a QB in a consistent scheme benefits more. It is also reality that this does not happen often enough until the QB shows that his ability is greater and more important than anything else, which forces coaches to coach around that QB instead of making that QB to adjust around everything else.

Jim Harbaugh said it is better to take a sack than throwing a risky pass but that is all perception of what he feels is a risky pass. From watching Alex play, a lot of passes he doesn't throw are not considered risky passes, they are considered NFL open. Most of his passes, if you haven't noticed have been to receiver who are literally wide open.

It will be interesting to see if Reid gets frustrated when Alex begins to not throw to receivers that would be considered open to QB's like Kap or Manning or Wilson and the KC offense begins to take on a small-ball mentality where any mistake made by any part of the team is considered huge or any play missed weighs in heavy on the production.
I think if AS plays a full 16 game season and Charles and 'Em are healthy, I think we will get to 99% of knowing the real Smith.

The way they are assembled, put Aaron Rodgers in that team and I think they absolutely win the division and are serious threat in the playoffs. The team is good, just needed a decent QB.
Everyone must not have watched the pre season game. The Niners defense gave every DC the blue print to destroy the Chiefs. Take away the long pass, make Captain check down dump it off short of the first down. It works every time year in and year out. I think AS had like a 2.2 yard average throw vs the niners.

The bad thing is I WANT AS to do well. I would love a second round draft pick for him, and I would love to see a nice guy prove doubters wrong. Will this happen, probably not. A high third round draft pick send to the niners.

Jeff Rosen ‏@jeff_rosen8830m
D-Bowe steals show: "I don't know if you'll be seeing many of those one-handed catches this year. (Alex Smith) knows where to put the ball."

Originally posted by 9erred:
Everyone must not have watched the pre season game. The Niners defense gave every DC the blue print to destroy the Chiefs. Take away the long pass, make Captain check down dump it off short of the first down. It works every time year in and year out. I think AS had like a 2.2 yard average throw vs the niners.

The bad thing is I WANT AS to do well. I would love a second round draft pick for him, and I would love to see a nice guy prove doubters wrong. Will this happen, probably not. A high third round draft pick send to the niners.

Corner blitz because you don't need the CB to cover the WR's...well, you only need to stay within a yard of them.

This way, your LB's and SS can focus on the check-down routes.
Jeff Rosen ‏@jeff_rosen8830m
D-Bowe steals show: "I don't know if you'll be seeing many of those one-handed catches this year. (Alex Smith) knows where to put the ball."

That's because he won't be thrown to if it is tight coverage.
That's because he won't be thrown to if it is tight coverage.

Keep trying, yo... that's how ya roll, and I guess it somehow helps you get the hurt out of your system.
Originally posted by 9erred:

i guess the steelers didnt get game film from the chiefs prior game
Share 49ersWebzone