LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 244 users in the forums

Aldon will get paid, Clay Matthews extended

Shop 49ers game tickets
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9183033/clay-matthews-signs-extension-green-bay-packers

$65M in new money.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
I wonder what free agency will look like in three years....

That's how long it will be before the flat cap ends, right?

Honestly I rather let him walk just for that much. I hate to say it but something has got to give on defense and us paying all the money on the offensive line. Kaepernick will have a contract coming up so I see a fan upsetting trade coming up shortly. No way we extend Crabtree if we choose to extend Aldon. Honestly I can see Vernon Davis getting traded soon possibly or Joe Staley. Kaepernick is going to make bank and with contracts to Him, Ray McDonald, Vernon Davis, Patrick/NaVarro, Ahmad Brooks, Carlos Rogers, Joe Staley, Anthony Davis, and soon to be Iupati it is looking like someone gets traded.
  • thl408
This sets the bar for Aldon's contract. I agree something's gotta give. WR, CB, and DL is where young talent must emerge in the next couple years. Need cheap labor there.
the 49ers really dont give a s**t about other peoples contracts from recent year

they see a player, set a price, and offer contract.
  • thl408
Originally posted by ads_2006:
the 49ers really dont give a s**t about other peoples contracts from recent year

they see a player, set a price, and offer contract.

Think about the player's agent and what they bring to the negotiating table.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Wow Matthews is the most overrated player in the league. I cant believe they paid him that much. Hes worthless against the run, it looks like 11 on 10 when opposing teams run against the Pack. The niners exposed him twice last year. I guess big biceps equal big money. Maybe its the hair.
To the point, the niners will eventually have to let stars walk. The wont be able to pay everyone. It really sucks but unfortunately its part of todays game.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for MarkD.
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
Wow Matthews is the most overrated player in the league. I cant believe they paid him that much. Hes worthless against the run, it looks like 11 on 10 when opposing teams run against the Pack. The niners exposed him twice last year. I guess big biceps equal big money. Maybe its the hair.
To the point, the niners will eventually have to let stars walk. The wont be able to pay everyone. It really sucks but unfortunately its part of todays game.

Agreed. At the beginning of this last years playoff game he was shouting, "Oh No here comes the big bad 49ers" Then we go out and make him and the Packers look like children. He is such a tool who thinks to highly of himself.
He was so lost in that playoff game

Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Honestly I rather let him walk just for that much. I hate to say it but something has got to give on defense and us paying all the money on the offensive line. Kaepernick will have a contract coming up so I see a fan upsetting trade coming up shortly. No way we extend Crabtree if we choose to extend Aldon. Honestly I can see Vernon Davis getting traded soon possibly or Joe Staley. Kaepernick is going to make bank and with contracts to Him, Ray McDonald, Vernon Davis, Patrick/NaVarro, Ahmad Brooks, Carlos Rogers, Joe Staley, Anthony Davis, and soon to be Iupati it is looking like someone gets traded.

Why would we trade Joe Staley? Dude makes cap friendly money for being a quality left tackle. More likely, we will be simply cutting Rogers and restructuring some other deals in order to make room for Aldon and Kaep. But there's no chance in hell that we let Aldon walk. He's the 2nd most valuable player on this team (arguably even No. 1)

Originally posted by dhp318:

Why would we trade Joe Staley? Dude makes cap friendly money for being a quality left tackle. More likely, we will be simply cutting Rogers and restructuring some other deals in order to make room for Aldon and Kaep. But there's no chance in hell that we let Aldon walk. He's the 2nd most valuable player on this team (arguably even No. 1)

If you look at it Anthony Davis played LT all the way through college and his first year in the NFL was the first time he was to play RT in his career. He can easily take Joe Staley's spot if he had to. It may seem funny now to people but do not think for one minute that they can not be traded. There is NO WAY we can have 9 - 10 players with the contracts they are getting paid 5-10 mill a year and continue to give out extended contracts. Kaepernick alone is going to make a ton of money unless Baalke agrees to give him a hand job every night before he goes to bed. I believe Rogers gets cut but someone or some players has to take a huge cut to avoid getting traded. The Clay Matthews and Tony Romo contracts killed the market. Prices will continue to go up more than likely which is the worst part.
Staley is the most cost effective LT in the league... Jerry Rice has a better chance of becoming a starting receiver again before Staley ever gets traded.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Staley is the most cost effective LT in the league... Jerry Rice has a better chance of becoming a starting receiver again before Staley ever gets traded.

Well s**t I do not know then dude. I just checked out his contract. I do not know is going to give but im worried now with Kaepernick and Smith restructures next year. I just do not see how we can afford to keep all these high priced players.
Share 49ersWebzone