LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 239 users in the forums

Broadcast Icon Pat Summerall Passes Away

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by d49izme:
I'll remember his voice clearly for the rest of my life as he called those great battles between The Niners and Cowboys back in the 90's. Hasnt been the same since, and probably never will be. The team of he and Madden set the bar pretty high.

R.I.P. He loved him some Football.
He and Madden called the very 1st 49ers Super Bowl in 1982 RIP
R.I.P. Pat
Originally posted by Beeker:
Nothing but respect for Mr. Summerall. He will be sorely missed.

Truly a legend and an individual who I have a ton of respect for as well. He and Madden were an amazing tandem. RIP Pat.
Summerall and Madden were the best announcers in the 80's and 90's. Made those 49ers/Cowboys games so epic.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
just the way he would say "touchdown 49ers i remember when dallas and the niners would get together, they would always says,, this is the way football is supposed to be played. not sure if there are higher words of praise
Mr. Summerall and Mr. Jackson - THE Voices of Football.

Whoaaaaaaaaaaa Nellie!
[ Edited by Beeker on Apr 16, 2013 at 9:06 PM ]
Dec. 14,1958 Summerall kicked a 49 yard field goal in a snowstorm to force a playoff with the Browns.
He lived a good life but damn.....
Ok I am going to be honest I do miss him calling games but I will never forget being a kid and being bummed him and John calling all our games all the time. I just got bored listening to them all the time and all I wanted to do was listen to Joe Starkey (good luck with that living in NC). Pat Summerall was one of the most boring announcers to me as a kid. All I can remember "Young to throw, Rice, TOUCHDOWN!" and just seems there was no pep to his commenting. I am a big fan of Lon Simmons and Joe Starkey myself. Those are the guys I really miss. No doubt Pat was a legend at calling the games with John and will miss those times now that I am grown looking back at the memories of him calling the 94 NFC Championship with Madden. My favorite line of Pat was "Anderson throw to Alexander and he did not get in! Dan Bunzzzzzz with the tackle!".

Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Ok I am going to be honest I do miss him calling games but I will never forget being a kid and being bummed him and John calling all our games all the time. I just got bored listening to them all the time and all I wanted to do was listen to Joe Starkey (good luck with that living in NC). Pat Summerall was one of the most boring announcers to me as a kid. All I can remember "Young to throw, Rice, TOUCHDOWN!" and just seems there was no pep to his commenting. I am a big fan of Lon Simmons and Joe Starkey myself. Those are the guys I really miss. No doubt Pat was a legend at calling the games with John and will miss those times now that I am grown looking back at the memories of him calling the 94 NFC Championship with Madden. My favorite line of Pat was "Anderson throw to Alexander and he did not get in! Dan Bunzzzzzz with the tackle!".

Towards the end of their time together, I thought Madden had become a caricature of himself and his crush on Favre was annoying, plus the countless "I beg your pardons" from Summerall were tiresome. But during the 80s/early-90s, Summerall's understated style was the perfect compliment to Madden's nonstop energy...Summerall understood he wasn't doing radio, that he didn't need a bunch of words to describe what the viewer could see for himself on TV. When you tuned in and heard them you knew this game was Important.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Apr 17, 2013 at 12:31 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone