There are 55 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bryant Young / Warren Sapp debate

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
As I recall Ken Norton Jr. broke BY's leg w/his helmet.

Didn't Norton also smash Napoleon McCallum's leg into pieces with his helmet
Sapp is a freakin dirty player w/ no class.. he's loud mouth and all he does is talk..

to this day, I fully believe that he grab Jerry Rice's mask purposely in order to hurt him..

I will also not forget how he purposely kept on rolling just to try and injured Tommy Maddox (Pittsburgh)

and lets not forget, when he kicked Chris Chandler on the head while pretending to celebrate a sack by a teammate and caused Chandler a concussion.
stubby was a mvp because of BY

sapp cant say that his level of play made anybody else better at least to the extent of young.

even after his injury BY COMMANDED a double team because he was that much of a force.

not to mention that in the tampon 2 the under tackle (sapp) was suppose to draw single coverage from either the center on the A gap or on the oustide shoulder of the RG, B gap depending on the assignment. but it was always the design that the JACK ASS would would be be in the best poosible pos to be in a 1v1 assignment.
Originally posted by 9moon:
Sapp is a freakin dirty player w/ no class.. he's loud mouth and all he does is talk..

to this day, I fully believe that he grab Jerry Rice's mask purposely in order to hurt him..

I will also not forget how he purposely kept on rolling just to try and injured Tommy Maddox (Pittsburgh)

and lets not forget, when he kicked Chris Chandler on the head while pretending to celebrate a sack by a teammate and caused Chandler a concussion.

The Chad Clifton incident may have been the worst. And then him puffing out his chest and trying to fight a 60+ year old Mike Sherman after was essentially Warren Sapp in a nutshell.
One is broke and one has his dignity. No offense, but Ohio is overrated
BY is one of my favorite 49ers of all time. I think he should definitely be in the talks for the hall of fame. (Admitted bias)

He also conducted himself with class and dignity throughout his career, something Warren can't say for himself.
Against the Run BY was better but as interior DT pass rushers, Warren Sapp was better. Overall I'd say Sapp slightly barely better but BY was a GREAT player deserving of future HOF but his problem was BY was saddled with sorry 9er teams of 2003 to 2007 when we didnt do Squat and kept losing.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 885
I think BY deserves it just as much as Sapp but I wouldn't take anything from #99...

As for him not freeing up his teammates or making them better via his on-field presence...ask Simeon Rice what Sapp did to help him rack up the numbers he did while playing alongside him. Ask Derrick Brooks how many times he went unblocked because 3 guys would be watching Sapp.

They're BOTH HOFers..
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
son of a b***h I was at that MNF game against the Giants when he broke his leg

Mooch's reaction was awful

That was Detroit I think. Knorton hit Batch and continued into is leg with is helmet
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
One is broke and one has his dignity. No offense, but Ohio is overrated

Ohio isn't overrated as much as it may be for the spectacles of an era. Those spectacles deserve their entry but those who weren't as flamboyant or trivial may not make it as fast or at all.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Bryant Young should get more credit for how he finished out his career after switching to LDE in the 3-4 defense. He was arguably the best 3-4 LDE in the NFL his last three seasons.

My memory is fuzzy, but I think Sapp played DE in the Raiders failed attempt to switch to the 3-4... and he sucked. Am I remembering that right?
Originally posted by Mercuryspeed:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
son of a b***h I was at that MNF game against the Giants when he broke his leg

Mooch's reaction was awful

That was Detroit I think. Knorton hit Batch and continued into is leg with is helmet

No it wasnt Bryant Young broke his leg on Monday Night Football against the Giants



http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/news/1998/11/30/giants_49ers/
Young was every bit as effective as Sapp, he just didn't tell everyone about it. If he had been around a few years earlier, it wouldn't even be a question. I think Sapp is a punk anyways.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 885
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Bryant Young should get more credit for how he finished out his career after switching to LDE in the 3-4 defense. He was arguably the best 3-4 LDE in the NFL his last three seasons.

My memory is fuzzy, but I think Sapp played DE in the Raiders failed attempt to switch to the 3-4... and he sucked. Am I remembering that right?

You're memory is spot on. Sapp absolutely sucked as a 5-Tech End in the Raiders lame 3-4 D. BY was right up there with the likes of Richard Seymour and Shaun Ellis as a stud 3-4 DE during his final 3 seasons
Originally posted by modninerfan:
one's got a louder mouf


This is exactly it.

BY was so much the superior player. Sapp couldn't handle double teams the way BY did. Sapp was a free lance player with a huge mouth. A lot like John Randle. They couldn't control their gaps or handle the run as well as BY. The only runs they could handle was running their mouth. That is why they are in the Hall (or will soon be) and BY is not.

Unfortunately, the squeaky wheel gets all the grease.