LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

Bryant Young / Warren Sapp debate

Shop 49ers game tickets
Obviously I may be a little biased, but I have never understood why Warren Sapp gets pumped up as a great player and Hall of Famer while B.Y. doesn't receive near the attention he deserves as a dominate player in his own right. This isn't meant to be a knock on Sapp he is a great player. However, their stats are so similar; I just don't understand the reason for the disparity. B.Y. played 14 years and made 276 tackles, 89.5 sacks, and 6 forced fumbles. Sapp on the other hand played 13 years for the Bucs and Raiders and made 297 tackles, 96.5 sacks, 8 forced fumbles, and 4 interceptions. That is a difference of 21 tackles, 7 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, and 4 interceptions. They both played through out the same stretch of time, and always seemed to display about the same level of dominance. Do you guys notice something I don't? Because the numbers for me just don't seem to add up.

http://www.nfl.com/player/bryantyoung/2503834/profile

http://www.nfl.com/player/warrensapp/2502833/profile
  • mod
  • Veteran
one's got a louder mouf
Originally posted by modninerfan:
one's got a louder mouf

lol, this.

Ever since BY got that injury in 98,(?) he was never the same. He was still hella good, but not the HOF player that sapp was....
If BY never broke his leg there wouldn't even be a debate

I still think Sapp is overrated sometimes, he's good but he's not as great as a lot of people say imo
Sapp had superstars around him, Simeon Rice, Brooks, Lynch, Barber. I never liked the guy to begin with but after he brought Jerry down by the face mask and caused the knee injury that cost JR the season he became despised by 49er fans.
Warren Sapp is a fat loud mouth piece of s**t.

BY is class.
That injury really impacted BY AND he never got the press Sapp got.

A lot of it is won in the press.
He is a HOF player imo. What a brilliant move by the Niners to move up to get him at #7. I really thought his addition that year was just as big as the FA's (Norton, Sanders, Plummer, etc) in helping transform that defense back into dominant, championship material.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Warren Sapp is a fat loud mouth piece of s**t.

BY is class.

Exactly right on both those guys. And Sapp has a problem paying his bills...man I hope that once he's inducted and the hoopla over him dies down that NFLN does what they've probably wanted to do the past 6 months or so, and that's kick his a** to the curb.
Yep, as already stated. BY was a class act that didn't run his yap. Didn't get the media attention because of it. Pretty sad really. One of my favorites and IMO one of the great 9ers of all time.
[ Edited by TTown9ers on Apr 5, 2013 at 11:35 AM ]

And to add to this, if BY would've never broken his leg his numbers would've been even better. That was a horrific injury.
Bryant should be in the hall already if it wasn't for the knee injury against the G-Men in '98
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Warren Sapp was known as a more dominate force in the NFL because of his early sack success at the defensive tackle position, which at that point was not seen as a spot to get sacks. So because of that people look at him as someone who revolutionized the position. He was also someone the media loved because he was always good for a quote so his celebrity ended up clouding people to his actual skill on the field. Not saying he was a bad player but most of his career was reputation then actual skill. Then he became part of the media so that always helps your hall chances (see Howie Long). He has had a overrated career in my opinion.

Bryant Young just doesn't quiet have the numbers or reputation to get into the HOF. At the very lest he should be getting enough votes to stay in contention. Do not understand why no one is voting for him. He was on the 90s all decade team so its not like he wasn't seen as a great player.
son of a b***h I was at that MNF game against the Giants when he broke his leg

Mooch's reaction was awful
As I recall Ken Norton Jr. broke BY's leg w/his helmet.
Share 49ersWebzone