LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 376 users in the forums

Top 9

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Also, Alex is NOT a top 10 QB, nor a top 20 QB. All homer aside, Alex was average here, he had 1 good season, and the rest was suckage.

I think the issue is who ARE the top now, not what they were doing a few years ago. That's present case so in my mind, it's about this last season. That being the case, you have to admit that Smith's third highest rating and very low TD to int ratio at least get him into the conversation.

His low risk, low reward style negates this argument. It's not as hard to keep a high rating and good TD-INT ratio when you're content with kicking field goals and your main goal is to not turn the ball over, as opposed to the top QBs on this list, who look to score a TD on every drive and take the necessary risks to do so. That's not to say Alex didn't TRY to score a TD on every drive, but certainly didn't take the chances the top QBs take and still succeed doing so.
I'm not going to argue about it because he actually wouldn't be on my top 10 list. All I was saying is that he deserves to be in the conversation because of his high rating.
[ Edited by GNielsen on Apr 1, 2013 at 11:18 AM ]
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
My full list:

ARod
Brady
Brees
Peyton
Eli
Big Ben
Flacco
Romo
Ryan
Rivers
Newton
Schaub
Dalton
Stafford
Cutler
Freeman
Smith
Vick
Bradford
Kolb
Fitz
Henne
Ponder
Locker
Sanchez

Unranked
Luck
Kaep
Wilson
RG3
Tannehill
old dude on Cleveland

NO!

ya i'd have to agree.. about as bad as it gets..
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Kaep and Wilson are both better than RG3, so no, your top 5 is not firm. Also, Flacco shouldn't be ahead of Ryan. In fact, Flacco doesn't even belong on the list.

1. Rodgers
2. Brady
3. P. Manning
4. Brees
5. Kaepernick
6. Wilson
7. Ryan
8. E. Manning
9. RG3

Luck at 10. Alex after that. I'm expecting Luck to move up into the 5-6 range after next year.

I agree on Luck, I think he will tack an arc similar to Peyton Manning...not an eye-popping rookie year, but was solid and you can just see that this guy is going to be great. I think within 3-4 years he will be looked at as clearly the best QB of the 2012 draft class.
Originally posted by hawker84:
ya i'd have to agree.. about as bad as it gets..

I bet it's better than yours.
Just a couple thoughts on most of these lists: if you look at the stats, Rodgers and P.Manning have to be #1 and #2. Any list that doesn't have A. Rodgers at the top doesn't make any sense to me (39 td's and 8 ints??!!). But, the other thing is that people seem to be living in the past with Brees. Drew Brees led the league along with Tony Romo in interceptions with 19. How does the guy who tied for the most interceptions of any QB belong in the top 5? Absolutely top 10 because he threw for a lot of yardage and a lot of TD's, but he's not exactly dependable with the ball either.
I have 3 tiers based on 2 ot more years. Last year Rivers sucked, the year before was pretty good. I did not include anyone who played only one year.

Top Tier:
Rodgers, Brady, Brees, PManning

2nd Tier:
Eli, Flacco, Ryan, Big Ben, Cutler,

3rd Tier:

Romo, Cam, Bradfford, Stafford, Dalton, Alex, Rivers, Shaub,

Jury out on:
Vick, Schaub, Kolb,
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Just a couple thoughts on most of these lists: if you look at the stats, Rodgers and P.Manning have to be #1 and #2. Any list that doesn't have A. Rodgers at the top doesn't make any sense to me (39 td's and 8 ints??!!). But, the other thing is that people seem to be living in the past with Brees. Drew Brees led the league along with Tony Romo in interceptions with 19. How does the guy who tied for the most interceptions of any QB belong in the top 5? Absolutely top 10 because he threw for a lot of yardage and a lot of TD's, but he's not exactly dependable with the ball either.

Brees is that high because he is that good. You put way too high a value on INTs and way too low a value on TDs.
[ Edited by InHarbsWeTrust on Apr 2, 2013 at 10:05 AM ]
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
Brees is that high because he is that good. You put way too high a value on INTs and way too low a value on TDs.

Most coaches say that an Int negates a TD, that is, an int gives as much value to the opposition as a TD does to your own team. I don't know if I agree with that, but it does make sense when you consider it ruins potential drives AND often allows the opposition to score. So, the general thinking is that you subtract the number of ints from the number of TD's to get a better sense of the QB's value to the team. That's also why int's figure so highly in QB ratings.

But, I agree with you that Brees is one of the best in the league. I just wouldn't put him in the top five right now based on last year's performance.
Share 49ersWebzone