There are 273 users in the forums

Carson Palmer targeting 49ers

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Ahh wouldn't having him as a Qb be like having Alex Smith negative 2.0? Can't run and can't throw?
there's a difference between Palmer targeting us, and us targeting him.
what a prima donna palmer is.
Palmer does not fit the current 49er style of QB because he is way too immobile. If he had to come in, the entire O would have to adjust. No way they sign him.
Before the Raiders traded for him, I would've been more excited. But look at how he left the Bengals and soon, the Raiders. He "retired" instead of playing for the Bengals. Got traded to Oakland for two high draft picks (1st, 2nd) and look how he's acting now. You can't blame the Raiders for wanting to decrease his salary since he's clearly overpaid and they need the cap space. Instead of taking a pay cut from $13 mil down to $10 mil, he'd rather leave and 99% chance of getting less than that with another team.

I know the Niners would benefit from a veteran QB behind CK. But Palmer is NOT a team player...heck, I'd rather have Hasselbeck than him. Do we really need a veteran QB? As others have said, Harbaugh could take that place. We have Tolzien and can draft a couple rookies, then let them battle it out in camp and pre-season to see who earns the #2 spot. CK learned pretty quickly, I trust Harbaugh/Baalke when it comes to QB decisions.
The Cards make sense for him...he could be a starter, which that team desperately needs. They'd be smart to draft the best QB on the board and with Palmer, they wouldn't have to rush him on the field. Zona hasn't had a decent QB since Warner retired...Carson could give them an option while they coach up a newbie.
I think it's funny that Carson Palmer is TARGETING us. Why exactly would we want a non-mobile washed-up QB with illusions of starting. How would he be any better than Tolzien? And I'm sure he'll be more expensive.

The only way I'd even consider it is if signs a minimum deal. And if he would do that, why the H*LL would he walk away from ~10M from Raiders (which is what was speculated his reduced salary would be).
if Carson Palmer comes to the 49ers alot of people are gonna have a war
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I think it's funny that Carson Palmer is TARGETING us. Why exactly would we want a non-mobile washed-up QB with illusions of starting.

That "statue" of a QB was sacked but 26 times last year. Alex Smith was sacked 24 times with us last year. A veteran backup capable of starting if needed is a smart thing to have behind Kap. We don't necessarily require mobility from the backup QB.

How would he be any better than Tolzien? And I'm sure he'll be more expensive.

Well he did throw for over 4000 yards last year with half the offensive talent we had. I'm failing any reason to believe Tolzien presents a better option as a backup. Not a knock on Tolzien either.

The only way I'd even consider it is if signs a minimum deal. And if he would do that, why the H*LL would he walk away from ~10M from Raiders (which is what was speculated his reduced salary would be).

Perhaps he'd rather win a ring before his time in this league expires.
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Before the Raiders traded for him, I would've been more excited. But look at how he left the Bengals and soon, the Raiders. He "retired" instead of playing for the Bengals. Got traded to Oakland for two high draft picks (1st, 2nd) and look how he's acting now. You can't blame the Raiders for wanting to decrease his salary since he's clearly overpaid and they need the cap space. Instead of taking a pay cut from $13 mil down to $10 mil, he'd rather leave and 99% chance of getting less than that with another team.

I know the Niners would benefit from a veteran QB behind CK. But Palmer is NOT a team player...heck, I'd rather have Hasselbeck than him. Do we really need a veteran QB? As others have said, Harbaugh could take that place. We have Tolzien and can draft a couple rookies, then let them battle it out in camp and pre-season to see who earns the #2 spot. CK learned pretty quickly, I trust Harbaugh/Baalke when it comes to QB decisions.

I'd put it more at 99.99999999999 ....% (there's no accounting for random stupidity, otherewise it would be 100% )

You're right on everything IMO. Although CK benefitting from a veteran back-up, is way over blown IMO and would make no difference.

won't make our team, lol
CK had the benefit of a vet back-up and is fine. If he needs any more input the QB coach can provide it. He can also reach out to Joe & Steve.

One more thing related to the post, IMO - we should hire Ault as a consultant for one year. Would help Kap and keep him away from competitors.
Palmer>>>>>>kap
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Palmer>>>>>>kap

BAN
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
the Lord-God-King >>> Carson Palmer.

Scott already knows the offense.
Scott appears to be more accurate and make quicker reads.
Carson's arm looked weak last season.
Share 49ersWebzone