LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 283 users in the forums

Tony Romo gets 6 year extension, highest paid player in team history

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
When i said, "hold back" I meant keeping a team from finding a HOF QB. There are many QBs that had 19-5 streaks, won a division and made it to a NFCC game.

I'm more interested in finding a perrenial pro bowl, All pro and potential HOF QB. That's what i meant by a mediocre/good QB holding a franchise back.

Ah, but there are many more that haven't including Romo. And yes, you are right in that Alex probably wasn't the pro bowl, all pro, HOF QB we all desire and we certainly stand a better chance of being champions with Kaep but I would not say that these last 2 years were a waste of our time because we were successful, we had it better than almost everybody, we groomed Kaep, nearly won it all, we traded Alex and got some great picks.

I think in 2011, Jim did what was necessary by bringing Alex in because there weren't any better options and he sold Baalke on it and together they made it work. Kaep can be what Alex couldn't but Alex from 2011 to 2012 played his position at great value considering his pay.

Our franchise over these last 2 years has greatly benefitted from Alex and this is why we sent him off in part under terms of his choosing. I have sensed a great deal of respect from this organization towards Alex, thus the nice webpage sendoff they gave him.
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Apr 16, 2013 at 2:01 PM ]
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
When i said, "hold back" I meant keeping a team from finding a HOF QB. There are many QBs that had 19-5 streaks, won a division and made it to a NFCC game.

I'm more interested in finding a perrenial pro bowl, All pro and potential HOF QB. That's what i meant by a mediocre/good QB holding a franchise back.

Ah, but there are many more that haven't including Romo. And yes, you are right in that Alex probably wasn't the pro bowl, all pro, HOF QB we all desire and we certainly stand a better chance of being champions with Kaep but I would not say that these last 2 years were a waste of our time because we were successful, we had it better than almost everybody, we groomed Kaep, nearly won it all, we traded Alex and got some great picks.

I think in 2011, Jim did what was necessary by bringing Alex in because there weren't any better options and he sold Baalke on it and together they made it work. Kaep can be what Alex couldn't but Alex from 2011 to 2012 played his position at great value considering his pay.

Our franchise over these last 2 years has greatly benefitted from Alex and this is why we sent him off in part under terms of his choosing. I have sensed a great deal of respect from this organization towards Alex, thus the nice webpage sendoff they gave him.

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Wow even a Romo contract thread in NFL Talk turns into an Alex Smith debate....
[ Edited by Jcool on Apr 17, 2013 at 8:21 PM ]
I would take Tony Romo but with the right coach. I think if Parcells had stayed, Romo would not be the gunslinger that he is. Capable of such gutsy plays and turning full retard at any moment. Parcells would have the authority personality to reign in Romo. Like Coughlin with Eli. Romo is talented but flawed.
NFL Access ‏@NFL_Access 17m

Cowboys restructure Romo's contract, free up $10 million in cap space

Originally posted by JerryRice1848:

Guess that means they are re signing Ware.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:

perfect exampl of why not to freak out over nfl deals, romo's deal which was a bit excessive in my mind was signed a yr ago, now already re-structured. nothing is set in stone in the nfl.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt

At some point in the coming years Tony Romo will not be on the Cowboys roster yet will still be one of their highest Cap charges...
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by crabman82:
perfect exampl of why not to freak out over nfl deals, romo's deal which was a bit excessive in my mind was signed a yr ago, now already re-structured. nothing is set in stone in the nfl.

It sounds like they are kicking the can down the road. I'm sure Romo's money didn't just disappear. They'll have to pay it to him at some point.

Yeah, he still gets his money. Its just spread out over a certain amount of years
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by crabman82:

It sounds like they are kicking the can down the road. I'm sure Romo's money didn't just disappear. They'll have to pay it to him at some point.

Yeah, he still gets his money. Its just spread out over a certain amount of years

Thus ensuring the cowboys future of mediocrity

Share 49ersWebzone