There are 118 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Tony Romo gets 6 year extension, highest paid player in team history

Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by English:
So let me get this straight. This is a discussion about something that isn't worth a discussion.

Right.

Oh look who it is. Why am I not surprised?

Tony Romo is more accurate, more poised, and is a better scrambler within the pocket. He's also never had a supporting cast quite as talented as we had in 11 and 12. He's NEVER had a QB rating of less than 90.5 in any season. In his last 2 seasons, he's thrown for 59 TDs to 29 INTs and over 9000 (!) yards, including 4900 last year. He also threw the ball 650 times...a testament to how much they rely on him because they have NOTHING else.

Obviously this is my opinion but I think the stats, and definitely the general consensus (on a non 9er board) back me up. If you just watch them play, it should be crystal clear who the better QB is.

I have no idea why you are not surprised. I agree that Romo is, on the whole, a better qb but I think that Smith is, on the whole, better under pressure.

And your ability to keep discussing something which is not worthy of discussion is impressive.

Stop inciting. You have to be the worst mod I've ever seen on this board and I'm surprised they've let you last this long. All you do is troll.

Nice try.
So let me get this straight. This is a discussion about something that isn't worth a discussion.

Right.

Tony Romo is more accurate, more poised, and is a better scrambler within the pocket. He's also never had a supporting cast quite as talented as we had in 11 and 12. He's NEVER had a QB rating of less than 90.5 in any season. In his last 2 seasons, he's thrown for 59 TDs to 29 INTs and over 9000 (!) yards, including 4900 last year. He also threw the ball 650 times...a testament to how much they rely on him because they have NOTHING else.

Obviously this is my opinion but I think the stats, and definitely the general consensus (on a non 9er board) back me up. If you just watch them play, it should be crystal clear who the better QB is.

I have no idea why you are not surprised. I agree that Romo is, on the whole, a better qb but I think that Smith is, on the whole, better under pressure.

And your ability to keep discussing something which is not worthy of discussion is impressive.

Stop inciting. You have to be the worst mod I've ever seen on this board and I'm surprised they've let you last this long. All you do is troll.

Inciting? When he voiced his opinion????

Take a breather and chill, bro. Just get back to the discussion and don't make it personal. And for what if its worth, if you have issues in how the Mods do their job, PM would suffice.

Originally posted by kidash98:
Inciting? When he voiced his opinion????

Take a breather and chill, bro. Just get back to the discussion and don't make it personal. And for what if its worth, if you have issues in how the Mods do their job, PM would suffice.

I think its clear he's a terrible mod. Yes I have brought this issue up before via the proper outlets. Secondly, his last sentence was inciting and not necessary. Had nothing to do with his post. Just him trying to bully anyone who criticizes AS.
, back on topic...Romo, while overpaid no doubt, is definitely a top 7 qb who will continue to put up stellar numbers. Not sure if it'll be enough to win the east though.

Right.

lol really... Cause Miles Austin isn't half the wr's randy moss is... Dez Byrant Sucks not like he didn't get 1000 yards, and Witten is a loser he also didn't get 1000 yards... O wait Dez and Witten both got a thousand yards, and Miles Austin had 943! Tony Romo has 2 number 1 wr's and a tightend that's considered one of the elite in the nfl. They throw because they have so much talent at wr and tightend all who can catch and make plays not because they just rely on romo... Your argument is invalid. Dez, Miles and Witten are not some talentless hacks, and many would rate witten better than VD, and Dez and Austin are better than anything we've fielded at wr since the days of Jerry and John Taylor.

Right.

And how many playoff wins do the Cowchunks have in that time span??

Nuff Said.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

Right.

lol really... Cause Miles Austin isn't half the wr's randy moss is... Dez Byrant Sucks not like he didn't get 1000 yards, and Witten is a loser he also didn't get 1000 yards... O wait Dez and Witten both got a thousand yards, and Miles Austin had 943! Tony Romo has 2 number 1 wr's and a tightend that's considered one of the elite in the nfl. They throw because they have so much talent at wr and tightend all who can catch and make plays not because they just rely on romo... Your argument is invalid. Dez, Miles and Witten are not some talentless hacks, and many would rate witten better than VD, and Dez and Austin are better than anything we've fielded at wr since the days of Jerry and John Taylor.

Leatha, Your Argument is Invalrod.
[ Edited by Beeker on Apr 15, 2013 at 2:45 PM ]
Originally posted by Beeker:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

Right.

Leatha, Your Argument is Invalrod.

C'mon you guys know that the team around Romo, in particular the offensive line and RB stable, is nowhere near what we have. That's why they pass so much. If you put Alex Smith on a team with no running game or an average O-line, he'll do terribly. Miles Austin is good...is he better than Crabtree? Close but I don't think so. Witten is not better than VD, sorry. They have great numbers because they threw the ball 650 times. Yes we haven't had great WRs, but a lot of that has had to do with the fact that Alex Smith has no ability to develop a rapport with his WRs.

I just cannot believe people would take Alex Smith over Tony Romo.

We'll see how Alex does this year in KC but tell me, who will be surprised if he stinks up the joint?
C'mon you guys know that the team around Romo, in particular the offensive line and RB stable, is nowhere near what we have. That's why they pass so much. If you put Alex Smith on a team with no running game or an average O-line, he'll do terribly. Miles Austin is good...is he better than Crabtree? Close but I don't think so. Witten is not better than VD, sorry. They have great numbers because they threw the ball 650 times. Yes we haven't had great WRs, but a lot of that has had to do with the fact that Alex Smith has no ability to develop a rapport with his WRs.

I just cannot believe people would take Alex Smith over Tony Romo.

We'll see how Alex does this year in KC but tell me, who will be surprised if he stinks up the joint?

I will be surprised. But that's just me. I think he's gonna be just fine.

Based on what? Check out Romo's 4th quarter numbers. They are solid and Smith is nowhere to be seen. Although, i'm not sure they qualify Smith as a starter when this article was written. Romo is ranked as thee best 4th quarter QB in the league. I'm pretty sure 4th quarter stats are the best measure of "pressure."

Romo is pretty good, even in pressure, except he makes a lot of dummy mistakes in big games. His dumb mistakes keeps him off the "elite" list.

Smith is ok, except when he makes his dummy mistakes. Its other things that keeps Smith off the elite list besides the mistakes.

Starting QBs with at least eight fourth quarter comebacks:

Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Jay Cutler, Tony Romo, Peyton Manning, Matthew Stafford, Matt Schaub, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Eli Manning, Mark Sanchez, Carson Palmer, Michael Vick, Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers, Josh Freeman

And at least 15 game-winning drives:

Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler, Tony Romo, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Eli Manning, Carson Palmer, Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers

And a career fourth quarter passer rating above 86.0:

Tony Romo, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers

http://blogs.nfl.com/2013/01/28/elite-quarterbacks-in-the-nfl/
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Apr 15, 2013 at 8:11 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Based on what? Check out Romo's 4th quarter numbers. They are solid and Smith is nowhere to be seen. Although, i'm not sure they qualify Smith as a starter when this article was written. Romo is ranked as thee best 4th quarter QB in the league. I'm pretty sure 4th quarter stats are the best measure of "pressure."

Romo is pretty good, even in pressure, except he makes a lot of dummy mistakes in big games. His dumb mistakes keeps him off the "elite" list.

Smith is ok, except when he makes his dummy mistakes. Its other things that keeps Smith off the elite list besides the mistakes.

Starting QBs with at least eight fourth quarter comebacks:

Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Jay Cutler, Tony Romo, Peyton Manning, Matthew Stafford, Matt Schaub, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Eli Manning, Mark Sanchez, Carson Palmer, Michael Vick, Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers, Josh Freeman

And at least 15 game-winning drives:

Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler, Tony Romo, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Eli Manning, Carson Palmer, Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers

And a career fourth quarter passer rating above 86.0:

Tony Romo, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers

http://blogs.nfl.com/2013/01/28/elite-quarterbacks-in-the-nfl/

Pretty much. Romo is superior to Smith..it's not even debatable.
Alex will do VERY well.

Romo got a good deal and it was a smart move to seal him up.

The Boys draft position will unable them to pick a potential franchise guy at QB. There doesn't seem to be any excellent FA's that could come in and play. He's the best they can hope for in the forseeable future. They won't lose eough games to be picking very high n te next draft, 2014, so they are in-between a rock & a hard place.

And I definitely would take Alex over Romo. - Just my opinion.
Romo had a kick a$s team in 2007. That was the team Parcells left Jerry with until Jerry inevitably mismanaged things like he usually does. You had TO, Roy Williams, Miles Austin Witten, Marion Barber, Demarcus Ware, a huge OL and a Wade Phillips defense. That was a lot of talent and I feared it would be a DAL vs NE Super Bowl but the NYG got hot and beat everyone
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Alex will do VERY well.

Romo got a good deal and it was a smart move to seal him up.

The Boys draft position will unable them to pick a potential franchise guy at QB. There doesn't seem to be any excellent FA's that could come in and play. He's the best they can hope for in the forseeable future. They won't lose eough games to be picking very high n te next draft, 2014, so they are in-between a rock & a hard place.

And I definitely would take Alex over Romo. - Just my opinion.

I wouldn't take either. Can't waste time at the QB position with average/good QBs. That can really hold back a franchise.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
I wouldn't take either. Can't waste time at the QB position with average/good QBs. That can really hold back a franchise.

Alex's contract won't hold back a franchise because we went 19 - 5 with him before he went down, won the division again, then nearly became champs only to trade Alex to KC for what might be two 2nd rd picks because of his very affordable contract. It was a great decision for Harbaugh to convince Alex to give it another go with us and I believe both parties were the better for it. I am glad that Harbaugh brought Alex back, signed him to a good deal and then traded him at his peak of efficiency for a nice return in draft picks. I really don't know why we argue about Alex because we have been nothing but good for each other these last 2 years. Only 2 teams "had it better than us" and that was NYG and BAL.