There are 194 users in the forums

Is the NFL ready for an Openly Gay Player

Shop 49ers game tickets

Is the NFL ready for an Openly Gay Player

^^^ Right on. People's inability to understand that is both perplexing and depressing.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by seahawk12thman:
What is the obsession the media has with homosexuality?? To me it looks ridiculous but to each their own. If you put your lifestyle out there, then expect to find people that disapprove of it. I guess we should give everybody who comes out of the closed a standing ovation for being gay.. If homosexuals need attention so bad then perhaps they do have a problem..

The point is to bring attention to it so that we can evetually NOT have to give it any attention.

Its like a black QB. Its like interracial marriage. Do you really think gay athletes WANT the attention? If they did then they would ALREADY be out.

The point is that they should be able to be themselves without having to feel threatened.

Once a few players come out...the media has their run with it, players say all their is to say....it will THEN no longer be an issue. Remember all the talk about Doug Williams being a black QB in the Super Bowl? Did we see ANY of that this year in regards to Kaep?

No. Its become a fairly normal thing.

It will be a story till it isn't. Thats the point.

Both of these posts should be edited onto the front page of this thread, so people see the first comment and can read the response.

I find it sad that people would even say 'If homosexuals need attention so bad then perhaps they do have a problem', trying to turn the situation around so all of a sudden homosexuals are the issue, "being all attention seeking". I generally find that someone who writes something like this either hasn't properly thought about the situation (I hope) or has a problem with homosexualty (hopefully not)
I hope it is...It would be....FAAABUULOUSS!
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kunged:
Originally posted by seahawk12thman:
What is the obsession the media has with homosexuality?? To me it looks ridiculous but to each their own. If you put your lifestyle out there, then expect to find people that disapprove of it. I guess we should give everybody who comes out of the closed a standing ovation for being gay.. If homosexuals need attention so bad then perhaps they do have a problem..

The point is to bring attention to it so that we can evetually NOT have to give it any attention.

Its like a black QB. Its like interracial marriage. Do you really think gay athletes WANT the attention? If they did then they would ALREADY be out.

The point is that they should be able to be themselves without having to feel threatened.

Once a few players come out...the media has their run with it, players say all their is to say....it will THEN no longer be an issue. Remember all the talk about Doug Williams being a black QB in the Super Bowl? Did we see ANY of that this year in regards to Kaep?

Both of these posts should be edited onto the front page of this thread, so people see the first comment and can read the response.

I find it sad that people would even say 'If homosexuals need attention so bad then perhaps they do have a problem', trying to turn the situation around so all of a sudden homosexuals are the issue, "being all attention seeking". I generally find that someone who writes something like this either hasn't properly thought about the situation (I hope) or has a problem with homosexualty (hopefully not)

this!
Another non-issue. Personally, I don't care what you do with your privates behind closed doors at all, gay or straight. The only issue I have with this whole "gay movement" thing, is that a lot of them are carrying it like being homosexual is some kind of badge of honor deserving of special recognition.

It's juvenile and totally unnecessary. I've been straight whole life and nobody seems to give a damn.

I ask, who cries for me?
[ Edited by baltien on Apr 14, 2013 at 12:23 PM ]

Uh, no.

Likening the gay movement to civil rights is both illogical and offensive. Millions of blacks died before the U.S. saw fit to even recognize us as human beings. Last I checked, nobody is being tied to a pickup truck and dragged down the street (and subsequently beheaded), or sodomized with a plunger by police because they're gay.

That is my entire problem with this whole discussion. If an NFL player tomorrow announced he is homosexual, I'm sure he *may* be treated differently by some of his teammates but ultimately that's where it stops. His life will go on as will those around him.

What this boils down to is a certain group of people are in a tizzy because they feel like the world needs to be more accepting of what is a PERSONAL choice. Getting all bent out of shape and taking to the streets because someone has a different opinion about your lifestyle be it on the basis of sexuality, religion, or anything in between is a complete waste of energy.

You're not going to change the mind of the bigoted. And so long as that person isn't a threat to you, why the hell do you even care to?
[ Edited by baltien on Apr 14, 2013 at 1:15 PM ]
Originally posted by baltien:
Another non-issue. Personally, I don't care what you do with your privates behind closed doors at all, gay or straight. The only issue I have with this whole "gay movement" thing, is that a lot of them are carrying it like being homosexual is some kind of badge of honor deserving of special recognition.

It's juvenile and totally unnecessary. I've been straight whole life and nobody seems to give a damn.

I ask, who cries for me?

WOW.

Missing the point entirely. Look at my post #137 on this page. Pretty much answers everything you just said.

When I read stuff likw this it really disappoints me.

I all gay people simply wanted attention, they'd all be out. They aren't looking for more attention. All they want to to be trated like everyone else. The only way to have a society that will accept them as being like everyone else is to make it public, let everyone have their opinion on the topic, and move on.

I'm sorry but the line about being straight all your life just serves to further impune yourself. OF COURSE nobody gave a damn. Nobody beats you up because your straight. Nobody tells you you can't do something because your straight. Nobody picks on you becausem your straight. You don't fear people finding out that your straight because it might cost you your dream of playing in the NFL You can be free to be who you are at all times.

Gay people cannot.

In a perfect world, you would be correct. Nobody would care that one person is gay and another is not. In a perfect world there would be no NEED for all of the attention. Guess what tho.....this ain't Utopia. The is the real world. This is how stuff happens. If you don't understand this then you need to pick a few more history books.

Uh, no.

Likening the gay movement to civil rights is both illogical and offensive. Millions of blacks died before the U.S. saw fit to even recognize us as human beings. Last I checked, nobody is being tied to a pickup truck and dragged down the street (and subsequently beheaded), or sodomized with a plunger by police because they're gay.

That is my entire problem with this whole discussion. If an NFL player tomorrow announced he is homosexual, I'm sure he *may* be treated differently by some of his teammates but ultimately that's where it stops. His life will go on as will those around him.

What this boils down to is a certain group of people are in a tizzy because they feel like the world needs to be more accepting of what is a PERSONAL choice. Getting all bent out of shape and taking to the streets because someone has a different opinion about your lifestyle be it on the basis of sexuality, religion, or anything in between is a complete waste of energy.

You're not going to change the mind of the bigoted. And so long as that person isn't a threat to you, why the hell do you even care to?

Uh yes.

You are just digging the hole deeper.

I likened it to Black QBs in the NFL, not the entire civil rights movement. Even if I had, you'd still be wrong. Is that the barometer now? We base our judgements on how much the people in question have suffered. If a gay kid gets dragged behind a truck, THEN is it OK to make a big deal? If thousands die....is THAT the time to take a stand? I'd like to think we've made some progress and those things aren't necessary to do the right thing. I'm sorry you're offended, but I don't think you have any right to be.

Personal Choice? Right there....you just destroyed your entire argument. THAT is the crux of the issue. ITS NOT A CHOICE. You are gay or you are not. Gay people don't DECIDE to be gay. Many of them would NOT be gay if given the choice simply because the world is a much more fogiving place if you are not.

Your reaction is simply more evidense as to WHY this needs to be a bigger issue to begin with. Your comments show what SO MANY people think....and you are wrong. That's not the way it works.

I gotta be honest. This conversation is dissappointing. Especially in 2013.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Apr 14, 2013 at 1:31 PM ]
im a lesbian
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
im a lesbian

Good to know.

im a lesbian

Good to know.

wanna play some football?
im a lesbian

Good to know.

wanna play some football?

lol
WOW.

Missing the point entirely. Look at my post #137 on this page. Pretty much answers everything you just said.

When I read stuff likw this it really disappoints me.

I all gay people simply wanted attention, they'd all be out. They aren't looking for more attention. All they want to to be trated like everyone else. The only way to have a society that will accept them as being like everyone else is to make it public, let everyone have their opinion on the topic, and move on.

I'm sorry but the line about being straight all your life just serves to further impune yourself. OF COURSE nobody gave a damn. Nobody beats you up because your straight. Nobody tells you you can't do something because your straight. Nobody picks on you becausem your straight. You don't fear people finding out that your straight because it might cost you your dream of playing in the NFL You can be free to be who you are at all times.

Gay people cannot.

In a perfect world, you would be correct. Nobody would care that one person is gay and another is not. In a perfect world there would be no NEED for all of the attention. Guess what tho.....this ain't Utopia. The is the real world. This is how stuff happens. If you don't understand this then you need to pick a few more history books.

I didn't bother to read ten pages of this thread (nor will I) but fair enough. I still firmly believe that a few isolated examples doesn't warrant all of the attention some people think being gay should, but by all means free to disagree.

Onto your other points, you're basically helping to prove my point. Getting beat up because you're homosexual is a pretty mild concern when compared to the threat of being murdered because of your color. And when applied to the context of pro sports, it's a tad overblown to say the least. Forgive me, but I have a very hard time envisioning the whole locker room suddenly converging upon some poor soul because he came out.

Granted, I can't say with absolute certainty that such a thing won't ever happen, but on the scale if probability I'd rank it right around the likelihood of me seeing Bigfoot jet-skiing at the beach.

"Gay people cannot."

....do what exactly? If memory serves, it has been quite illegal for some time now to discriminate against someone on the basis of their sexuality. And IIRC, physically harming someone for that reason is also hate crime.

So please, do provide some examples of all these things gay people can't do and how folks are openly getting away with it.

Seriously. I'd be interested to hear.
Uh yes.

You are just digging the hole deeper.

I likened it to Black QBs in the NFL, not the entire civil rights movement. Even if I had, you'd still be wrong. Is that the barometer now? We base our judgements on how much the people in question have suffered. If a gay kid gets dragged behind a truck, THEN is it OK to make a big deal? If thousands die....is THAT the time to take a stand? I'd like to think we've made some progress and those things aren't necessary to do the right thing. I'm sorry you're offended, but I don't think you have any right to be.

Personal Choice? Right there....you just destroyed your entire argument. THAT is the crux of the issue. ITS NOT A CHOICE. You are gay or you are not. Gay people don't DECIDE to be gay. Many of them would NOT be gay if given the choice simply because the world is a much more fogiving place if you are not.

Your reaction is simply more evidense as to WHY this needs to be a bigger issue to begin with. Your comments show what SO MANY people think....and you are wrong. That's not the way it works.

I gotta be honest. This conversation is dissappointing. Especially in 2013.

Really dude, you're smarter than this.

Then "black QB" discussion, much like the black astronaut discussion, the black president discussion, and every other "first" accomplished by a black only exists BECAUSE of civil rights. It's the same reason why we don't compare serial murders to the holocaust.

Yes, both are terrible but when looked at in terms of scale differences emerge.

"Gay people don't choose to be gay."

Says you? I personally know plenty of women that were "gay" in high school/college, then decided to not be "gay anymore." Hell, a few of them are even married with kids.

So, whole I don't claim to be the authority on this matter, it seems to me that choosing to lay with someone of the same sex is just as much of conscious decision as choosing not to is. What did in miss where it was PROVEN that homosexuality is a DNA trait?

Man, this conversation got pretty ridiculous quickly didn't it?

Onto your other points, you're basically helping to prove my point. Getting beat up because you're homosexual is a pretty mild concern when compared to the threat of being murdered because of your color.

Sorry, gotta jump in here. Do you actually think the worst thing to ever happen to somebody because they were gay is get beat up?
Share 49ersWebzone