There are 156 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Best Play in the History of the NFL?

• HUGGY
Originally posted by BayArea:
http://www.nfl.com/bracketology

So really how does the catch not take the cake? Made it to the second round easily but it looks like the Giants helmet catch in 07' is getting the overwhelming vote. Being the homer that I am I have Young's epic TD run against the Vikings as #2.

So does the catch that kick started our dynasty run live up to the best play of all time?

Because taken on it's own merits it is pretty much a pedestrian catch. Go look at some Tony Gonzales video and tell me "The Catch" is the greatest NFL play ever. The consequences of "the catch" are huge but that doesn't make the play any better.
To me, it's David Tyree's helmet catch. Without that happening, the pats probably go 18-0 and rewrite history.

The immaculate reception was great and all but that particular play didn't kick start any dynasty. The steelers were first champions in 74, not in 72 when it happened. If that play did kick start the steelers dynasty, i would imagine that being the greatest play in NFL history. It may be the most controversial play....
  • HUGGY
Originally posted by pdizo916:
To me, it's David Tyree's helmet catch. Without that happening, the pats probably go 18-0 and rewrite history.

The immaculate reception was great and all but that particular play didn't kick start any dynasty. The steelers were first champions in 74, not in 72 when it happened. If that play did kick start the steelers dynasty, i would imagine that being the greatest play in NFL history. It may be the most controversial play....

What was striking about the "immaculate reception" and it's longevity was that the play was bogus. Pittsburg still desperately clings to it and in today's world it would have been studied under the hood and rejected summarily. At least "the catch" was a REAL legitimate play and not some BS non play.
Originally posted by HUGGY:

What was striking about the "immaculate reception" and it's longevity was that the play was bogus. Pittsburg still desperately clings to it and in today's world it would have been studied under the hood and rejected summarily. At least "the catch" was a REAL legitimate play and not some BS non play.

But that's the beauty of the Immaculate reception.. we'll never "know", now will we?
But one can argue that tyree's catch haulted a HISTORIC undefeated season by the patriots. They're infamously known as 18-1

This is EXTREMELY tough but Tyree did it at the biggest stage in perhaps the biggest super bowl EVER. I'm a 49er homer, but for anyone who says that the catch should win in a landslide is CLEARLY blind.

Damn bro are you really a Giants fan in disguise? Kickstart a dynasty of your own team or luckily barely beat the Patriots after their easy ass undefeated schedule? Go root for big blue I guess.

How old are you? Just because I have a different opinion than yours make me a fan of the Giants?
[ Edited by pdizo916 on Mar 28, 2013 at 4:08 PM ]
Recently, I would say the Marshawn Lynch run in the playoffs a couple years ago.
I was there for the catch. When it happened, anyone watching would have said it was the best play ever. Not because of what it meant to us, but what it meant to THAT game, with the season on the line. Now, as it is, the play marks the birth of a dynasty, but it was good enough on its own to be the best. It wasn't a complicated play, but it was executed to perfection in the first of several clutch situations.

The Tyree catch was not planned, it was random, it was chance. Effort went into it, but by no means was it the end of the game. Montana and Clark win the game in an elimination situation, Tyree made a first down in the Super Bowl. If the Giants don't win that game, does the Tyree catch still count as one of the best?

I should add that yes, there was still a little time left on the clock, but that is forgotten easily because the Cowboys turned the ball over right away.
[ Edited by Rathmanator on Mar 29, 2013 at 12:12 PM ]
https

/thread
Was just on NFL.com and both of our plays out of the final 8 are losing at the moment. Do people really think that the Desean Jackson kick return is a better play than the Montana to Clark??

[ Edited by Youngb on Mar 30, 2013 at 11:00 AM ]
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jones49:
Recently, I would say the Marshawn Lynch run in the playoffs a couple years ago.

Marshawn lynch's run was one of the most incredible plays I've ever seen. He single handedly destroyed the entire D on one run.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Youngb:
Was just on NFL.com and both of our plays out of the final 8 are losing at the moment. Do people really think that the Desean Jackson kick return is a better play than the Montana to Clark??

I've seen a lot of game winning, hail marry throws... you don't see many game winning returns.
Originally posted by HUGGY:

So really how does the catch not take the cake? Made it to the second round easily but it looks like the Giants helmet catch in 07' is getting the overwhelming vote. Being the homer that I am I have Young's epic TD run against the Vikings as #2.

So does the catch that kick started our dynasty run live up to the best play of all time?

Because taken on it's own merits it is pretty much a pedestrian catch. Go look at some Tony Gonzales video and tell me "The Catch" is the greatest NFL play ever. The consequences of "the catch" are huge but that doesn't make the play any better.

I guess you have to take the historical implications for our franchise into consideration. I agree the catch was probably pedestrian by modern standards. Thing is it wasn't a perfect pass or a perfect catch. It also wasn't an impossible catch made possible. What it was is an underdog, nobody team, beating the unbeatable Cowboys and starting a legendary dynasty that would dominate the 80's.

It might not be an incredible feat of man. Damnit if it wasn't the cornerstone moment that defined a legendary run. Take my homerism into account, because there is a lot of it, but that play defines our franchise, like it or not.
Obviously, I'm biased toward the "Beast Quake Run" since Lynch is on the team I root for AND I was there to feel the earth move (and pee my pants!) in person :)

But, in general, I would vote for running plays such as that or a catch that had a huge YaC element to it. Just seems like there is more strength, speed, agility and overall skill involved. Not to say that Hail Marys aren't exciting and don't involve skill, just seems like there's usually at least a bit of luck as well.

Also, as some others have suggested, I dont think things like the history of the team's franchise, record that season or score at the time has any relevance to the vote - it's the Greatest Play, not the Most Valuable Play.
Tough for me to guage. I've looked, albeit not that hard BUT I couldn't find any kind of assessment criteria to base a judgement on.

All subjective. I'm sure many people will mention a play that included their team.

I'm a die-hard Niner fan and the Bills game - I think it was Tennessee where they lateraled it bak and Tenn scored styicks in my mind as one of the best plas ever.

On a personal level - "The Catch" is and always wil be my "Niner" moment. I remeber where I was, who I was with and how much it meant.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home