LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Best Play in the History of the NFL?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by mkmasn:
I wish the videos worked on nfl.com. Haha.

But, Young's TD run takes the cake:

Young escapes a collapsed pocket by spinning away from 3 defenders, proceeds to break 4 tackles and winds his way through an entire team on a 49 yard touchdown, stumbling into the end zone.

Yea, The Catch was an amazing play. But it was a play that had been practiced. Young's run was pure improvisation, turning a sack into a 49 yard touchdown.

Hearst's run was pretty beast too. Man, I loved that guy. Nothing but heart.

The stumbling into the endzone and then being smashed by multiple Vikings players jumping on top of him in frustration had me falling out of my chair laughing and still does, but the other thing about this play is the Lon Simmons call. It never ceases to just crack me up. He sounds like he's going to have a heart attack. I don't know if it rates up there among the best plays of all time, but NFL films did call it the best scramble of all time and it's got to be close to the most entertaining play of all time
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by cciowa:
in the history of the nfl? probably the immaculate reception

I wouldn't even put it in the top 20 because it's just pure luck - not really a lot of skill involved in that play other than that of the Raider defensive backs knocking the pass away.

well, you are probably right i was just trying to think outside the box. I always try to go old school. i think earl campbell did have an amazing run on monday night football years ago. then of course there is the music city miracle. the best catch i ever saw was a old lynn swann catch in one of the dallas steelers super bowls of the 70's
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
The stumbling into the endzone and then being smashed by multiple Vikings players jumping on top of him in frustration had me falling out of my chair laughing and still does, but the other thing about this play is the Lon Simmons call. It never ceases to just crack me up. He sounds like he's going to have a heart attack. I don't know if it rates up there among the best plays of all time, but NFL films did call it the best scramble of all time and it's got to be close to the most entertaining play of all time

i always thought it was a burger king spot that the niners ripped off

I agree. This should also be up there as well.

Originally posted by pdizo916:
But one can argue that tyree's catch haulted a HISTORIC undefeated season by the patriots. They're infamously known as 18-1
This is EXTREMELY tough but Tyree did it at the biggest stage in perhaps the biggest super bowl EVER. I'm a 49er homer, but for anyone who says that the catch should win in a landslide is CLEARLY blind.

Tyree's catch is the best play I've seen. In today's NFL, there was 50% chance the refs would blow the whistle when Manning was in the pocket with guys draped all over him. People actually stopped playing for a split second because they thought Manning was in the grasp. On the other end of the play you have a guy that out-positioned Rodney Harrison and then managed to keep the ball pinned to his helmet despite Harrison hitting his arms on the way down. The context of that play is also compelling for the reasons a lot of posters have mentioned. But for me, while the Catch propelled Montana to becoming the GOAT, Tyree's catch helped to essentially put an end to all the hype surrounding Brady supplanting Montana.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by midrdan:
Tyree's catch is the best play I've seen. In today's NFL, there was 50% chance the refs would blow the whistle when Manning was in the pocket with guys draped all over him. People actually stopped playing for a split second because they thought Manning was in the grasp. On the other end of the play you have a guy that out-positioned Rodney Harrison and then managed to keep the ball pinned to his helmet despite Harrison hitting his arms on the way down. The context of that play is also compelling for the reasons a lot of posters have mentioned. But for me, while the Catch propelled Montana to becoming the GOAT, Tyree's catch helped to essentially put an end to all the hype surrounding Brady supplanting Montana.
the catch may have been the most IMPORTANT play in the history of the nfl. it altered the futures of two nfl teams for the next ten years and perhaps beyond even into the 90's.. not many single plays do that
  • Happs
  • Veteran

Young escapes a collapsed pocket by spinning away from 3 defenders, proceeds to break 4 tackles and winds his way through an entire team on a 49 yard touchdown, stumbling into the end zone.

Yea, The Catch was an amazing play. But it was a play that had been practiced. Young's run was pure improvisation, turning a sack into a 49 yard touchdown.

Hearst's run was pretty beast too. Man, I loved that guy. Nothing but heart.

This!
The Catch
Kaep out running the entire GB defense for a TD on a record setting night.
I never get tired of watching that!

<div class="video youtube-HG_OCaKeiU8"> </div>
<div class="video youtube-HG_OCaKeiU8">Yea, The Catch was an amazing play. But it was a play that had been practiced. Young's run was pure improvisation, turning a sack into a 49 yard touchdown.</div>
<div class="video youtube-HG_OCaKeiU8">Hearst's run was pretty beast too. Man, I loved that guy. Nothing but heart.</div>

Yeah that is one of my favorites too.

All the 1 seeds are pretty awesome.

I wouldn't even put it in the top 20 because it's just pure luck - not really a lot of skill involved in that play other than that of the Raider defensive backs knocking the pass away.

well, you are probably right i was just trying to think outside the box. I always try to go old school. i think earl campbell did have an amazing run on monday night football years ago. then of course there is the music city miracle. the best catch i ever saw was a old lynn swann catch in one of the dallas steelers super bowls of the 70's
Not trying to diss your pick. It's an amazing play. For old school, I have to say Marcus Allen reversing field on the Redskins and going all the way in that '83 Super Bowl is pretty sensational. And, I have to point out the Jim Marshall running 60 yards the wrong way for a safety because I was actually at that game at Kezar.
I think Freeman's TD catch is REALLY underrated.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Not trying to diss your pick. It's an amazing play. For old school, I have to say Marcus Allen reversing field on the Redskins and going all the way in that '83 Super Bowl is pretty sensational. And, I have to point out the Jim Marshall running 60 yards the wrong way for a safety because I was actually at that game at Kezar.
and then one of the niners, charley kruger? running up to him and thanking him for scoring for us!! hey is kezar open as a museum or anything like that? do they play jr college or high school games there? it is fun to go old school,. i think its good for the kids who are here
Joe was dead to rights and put a perfect throw where only Clark could get to it while hyperventilating and starting a dynasty. Think in that 15 second moment had he thrown a bad pass we don't win the superbowl and we might not have won the other 3 in the 80's.

The helmet catch is lame because it didn't signify anything but a superbowl win. The catch signified the start of a franchise that would dominate a decade. The immaculate reception was pure luck. Young's run was sweet but nothing was on the line.
Share 49ersWebzone