There are 152 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why can't punters be kickers or vice versa

Check madden 13.

/thread
Originally posted by xtm059:
Good lord. Can you tell me...how revolutionary was it when george westinghouse invented the air brake for the train?

Too bad youth is wasted on the young.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

Just import a bunch of Aussie Rules kickers and their hot wives...

/thread

LOL!
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Back in the 50's and 60's Don Chandler punted and kicked for the Giants and Packers, as I recall he was quite good at both.

George Blanda was a Quarterback / Kicker in the 1960's. I'm not sure how your point scales to modern day football.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erha:
Kicking and punting is a similar skill set. Why can't there be somebody who is good at both? I'm sure they are out there. I bring this up cause niners signed a kicker today and that got me thinking and I rememeber that when Akers got hurt our back up kicker( commentator said this but I can't confirm) was sopoaga. For kickoffs and extra points. Also that because Akers was hurt they could not kick a field goals. I'm sure I'm thinking why can't andy lee fill in he has a strong leg and I'm sure he has kicked before.

This would also save a roster spot and open up a game day roster spot.

I'm glad you asked this question. Now that the Niners just signed a reliable veteran kicker, they may not take one in the draft. BUT I was just wondering... why not take one late in the draft for back up (one with a little experience at punting)?

Since he won't be doing much on game day, couldn't he ALSO practice punts... in the event that Andy tweaks a hamstring or something, the rookie could fill in... maybe practice squad. Harbaugh likes versatility right
Todd Sauerbrun (SP) who played in the league not all that long ago did both in college at West Virginia and was quite good. In the NFL he just did kicking. Of note, he was also a douche bag in real life and I almost punched him out once when I was in college.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Somebody in here posted this link (Thanks BTW, IDK who) a while back and I saved it. This dude is more accurate with his leg than most NFL QBs are with their arm. Frikken, guy is sick... I wish the Niners had him!

ooops, I forgot to post the link

here ya go --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jDwbjHV8jLo#!
[ Edited by LVJay on Mar 25, 2013 at 10:09 PM ]
Originally posted by redrathman:
George Blanda was a Quarterback / Kicker in the 1960's. I'm not sure how your point scales to modern day football.

Actually, Blanda was a punter as well when he played for the Bears. 49ers had a guy by the name of Tommy Davis who punted and kicked as well for several years in the 60's.
Tommy Davis was a punter and kicker for the 9ers in the 60s. He was okay at both.
The same reason NBA players cant be Major League pitchers just because theyre good at throwing a ball at a target.
Another good question:

How come punters can't do kickoffs?
I remember watching a game where Nedney punted for the Titans when Hendrich? got hurt... from memory he did reasonably well.

I sort of recall Akers/Lee saying they practice a few punt/kick reps during each practice.
[ Edited by Milkman on Mar 26, 2013 at 1:17 AM ]
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

Just import a bunch of Aussie Rules kickers and their hot wives...

/thread

As an Australian.... +1
At this level if you are on a team to perform a specialized task...you are the best of the best at what you do. You are so highly specialized that you are not spending time doing other things. Kickers and Punters are no more similiar than our long snapper is to our normal center. Or a Corner is to a Wide Reciever. Sure these guys could probably fill in at the spot...but they dont practice it, and there is likely a guy on the roster who is just as suited or better to fill in whether it be a backup, or a guy who did it in college..etc. Long story short, if they kicker was practicing punting..he wouldnt make as many kicks.
punt is the biggest play in football. would a coach want someone who isnt the best or does punts full time as their punter? no

field goals are one of the best ways to turn a stalled drive into points. would a coach want some punter that cant be as reliable as a full time kicker? no

its that easy