There are 161 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Russell Wilson VS Colin Kaepernick

Originally posted by SFTifoso:
And suddenly, Russell Wilson's wife appears!

I got payed too !!!! LOL !
really wilson is scary good but kaep has the highest potential of any of the QB's (including wilson). even on that one guys post who was trying to show how Wilson is rated higher than Kaep currently if you actually followed all his link the word you will find to describe Kaep the most is Potential. Wilson is currently more polished but potential wise Kaep has the highest QB potential of any one in the league. I mean serially he is like Wilson, RG3, Luck and Newton combined into 1 player e was just scratching the surface last year. Wilson now ok Maybe but if they both reach full potential Kaep is #1 out of all of them.
Wilson and Kaep are equally effective, they both have strong arms, mobility and accuracy.

Where Wilson might be a little more accurate in certain areas, Kaep can smoke a ball in to exactly where he wants it. Fast enough that timing (which will improve) is not as much of a factor.

The one thing that Wilson has, IMHO that Kaep doesn't have (but will have soon) is incredible poise. The kid in his rookie year was put into clutch situation over and over again. He handled it like a HOF player. The look on his face never changes, regardless of the situation. I didn't see all of Wilson's games, but I saw most of them and that poise stood out. There were times that Kaep had me screaming to snap the ball instead of changing the play at the line or wasting a timeout.

Then I remember, he has only been in the league for two years and playing in one of them. Our expectations are so high for Kaep, which is kind of funny because he was so much more talented than Smith and he had 6 years experience. Wilson doesn't have to spend his offseason working on poise, but Kaep will have it quickly as he is not far behind in that aspect and that Super Bowl trip did wonders for his experience.

The Seahawks are for real, I expect them to challenge the Niners even more than they did in 2012, there is no doubt in my mind that they are setting themselves up to be very good for the next few years, but Kaep's growth will be huge in balancing that challenge. He couldn't have a better teacher.

Now that is funny. Let the captions begin.

It almost looks like an evil laugh, like "I've got him now"
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Intelligence is another area that Wilson is good in. He generally makes good decisions and has scored decently in aptitude tests. However, again, Kaep is noticeably better. He's a more intelligent guy, and that's not taking anything away from Wilson, but Kaep's mental ability is on the level of Luck, which I think most people consider to set the bar for young QBs.

I really can't see how Kaep has more intelligence than Wilson. If you've heard him speak, he's one of the most affluent players I've ever heard, in any sport. I'd say, If Kaep can match Wilson, then we're good.

Kaep is better at:
Speed, Arm Strength, Size, Running for yardage

Wilson and Kaep are essentially equal at:
Accuracy, Intelligence, Mental Toughness, Durability

Wilson is better at:
Escapability, Extending Plays

Those are pretty accurate.

Pretty accurate annalysis, although Wilson began to have trouble with 4-3 defenses, and that seems to be the defense tat he struggles with because his excapability and ability to escape plays becomes limited.

I can see us utilizeing 4-3 sets against the Seahawks going forward. The staff had to notice their struggles agaist the 4-3
Gimmie Kape!!! I cant wait til the NFL catches up with that shrimp Russell Wilson, how amny QBS around 5'10 actually succeed in the NFL? NONE zero! it just doesn't happen. He'll have some nice games & all but when the rubber meets the road, he'll choke hes too little
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I think the question was when was Kaep ever above Wilson? Answer: he's always above Wilson.

LOL! Wilson looks like a munchkin from Oz!
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I think the question was when was Kaep ever above Wilson? Answer: he's always above Wilson.

Wilson looks like a ventriloquist dummy!

Whoa is that the girl from the Exorcist?
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
During the Superbowl run everyone was saying Kaep > Wilson.

You know he broke the record for most running yards by a QB in history? He slaughtered the Packers then Slaughtered the falcons then almost pulled off the biggest comeback in SB history.

There was a time there where Kaep was talked about as being the next best QB in the league.

Lol; how about some evidence of your assertion about "everyone" saying Kaep > Wilson during your Super Bowl run? (It's two words, by the way. Super, then Bowl.)

Also, yes, congrats on him setting the new running yards record in a game. It was also the biggest failure in a playoff game by Green Bay in arguably the history of the franchise, and Dom Capers was exposed big-time. I think the memo he left was misinterpreted by the Green Bay defense as "Avoid looking at the QB, and stay as far away from him as possible"; because that's what it looked like on TV. The holes they left for him to run through were absolutely pathetic. No excuse for it. Kaepernick took full advantage; but let's not pretend that there wasn't also a massive game-long failure by the Green Bay defense, yes?

Seriously, though. Provide some unbiased evidence for your assertions, please.

Originally posted by LoneWolf:
I think hes talking about the articles that he handpicked to prove his point when he says when did anyone say kaep over wilson.

Articles I hand-picked? Good one. I know you want it to be that. Go Google recently written top QB lists, ignore any by SF/Seattle-area sources, and see what you get. 90% of people ranking Wilson above Kaepernick, that's what; but they're all wrong, right?

Originally posted by UKNiners:
Well said. Small sample with CK.

Small sample size for both. It's commonly accepted that you need 3 full years to properly evaluate long-term capability of a QB. I'd say they're a wash right now as far as evaluation capability goes; yes, Wilson has started more games, but he had very little training camp and pre-season prep due to QB competition, and Kaepernick rode the pine for a full year-and-a-half before becoming the starter. For all intents and purposes, I'd call that approximately equal. Wilson got more on-field experience, Kaepernick got significantly more mental preparation time. Bottom line, we'll be able to evaluate these two at the end of next season a LOT more accurately than we can right now.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
I think most level headed people around here understand that Wilson is going to be a great QB and a thorn in our side for the next decade. However, I still don't think he has the better potential over Kaep, nor will he have the better career. I think Kaep just nudges Wilson out in a number of categories we may measure a QBs ability.

Speed, arm strength, size (more important for durability than sight within the pocket), and intelligence are quantifiably in favor of Kaep.

Now one may point to similar 40 times, but just watching both players, Kaep has clearly shown better top end speed. I think Wilson is quicker (more agile).

Kaep's arm strength is possibly the best in the league. He was clocked in game throwing the ball on a TD pass to Crabtree at over 60 MPH. Wilson's combine high was 55. That's no slouch but Kaep clearly has the better arm.

Kaep's size is a distinct advantage for a number of reasons. On the surface of things he'll be able to make better reads and throw better from the pocket. Obviously Wilson showed his size wasn't a deterrent this year, however, there is a clear advantage to having a passer be able to see things and deliver the ball from a slightly higher level. That being said, I don't put much stock into this. What I do, however, is the fact that Kaep is a bigger guy with more meat on his bones, he should be able to handle the big hits better. He'll probably get hit more since Wilson's escapeability is possibly second to none, but when Wilson does take a hit where a 300 pound lineman plows him to the ground, his body will be less equipped to soften the blow.

Intelligence is another area that Wilson is good in. He generally makes good decisions and has scored decently in aptitude tests. However, again, Kaep is noticeably better. He's a more intelligent guy, and that's not taking anything away from Wilson, but Kaep's mental ability is on the level of Luck, which I think most people consider to set the bar for young QBs.

I think Wilson is clearly more Agile and has better pocket awareness. Wilson just has tremendous awareness and is a tough guy to harness. He is incredibly quick, which may actually be more important (historically at least) to a QB than top end speed. The ability to move around the way Wilson can will allow for things to really open up downfield. This should be his finest attribute in the years to come and supremely frustrating for any team playing against him.

The factors that are still up for grabs are leadership, clutchness, accuracy. We can debate who is better in these categories but they both have shown that they could both be potentially elite. Wilson is definitely a more outward leader. His confidence borders on cockiness, without being cocky. Kaep is more subdued. His humbleness in the face of media-defined super-stardom speaks to his character. Both guys, at very young ages, command the respect of the veterans they play with.

So far both have also been really clutch. I don't really need to go into detail here as we've seen both players lead amazing comebacks and show a certain calm that is rare in young guys when the game is on the line.

Accuracy is pretty even so far. Both guys have gone through stretches where receivers were dropping balls and balls weren't being delivered perfectly, but by and large both guys showed tremendous accuracy. Wilson got better as the year went on and was on point. Kaep showed that he might have the best deep accuracy in the league after just a half season of play.

Bottom line, both have the potential to be great. The thing about potential is that even if it's there, it takes a ton of hard work to realize it. Both guys have shown a willingness to put in that work. And if both guys reach their ceilings, I think Kaep will hold an edge based on being slightly bigger, faster, and stronger. My hope is that the next decade will bring epic matchups between these two guys and a healthy debate who is better at any given moment.

Way, way too in depth for a couple guys who have so little experience.

Its weird to me how the Seahawks are getting so much hype as being the best team in football, when they still havent proven anything. Theyre still a losing team on the road, which disqualifies them for SB contender status in my book.

The Seahawks are overrated right now. Its like saying they are the new team to beat is the "hip" thing to write about now among NFL experts. They go fishing for something bold to say, and get overly excited with the notion that the Seahawks are the best team in the NFL right now, and then people just bandwagon on it.

The 49ers have the better coaching staff, the better team, and are 2011 and 2012 defending division champs, going to the NFC title game both times. Seattle has to earn the respect first.
Conference Champion > Wild Card Winner
Originally posted by RolandDeschain:

You know he broke the record for most running yards by a QB in history? He slaughtered the Packers then Slaughtered the falcons then almost pulled off the biggest comeback in SB history.

There was a time there where Kaep was talked about as being the next best QB in the league.

Lol; how about some evidence of your assertion about "everyone" saying Kaep > Wilson during your Super Bowl run? (It's two words, by the way. Super, then Bowl.)

Also, yes, congrats on him setting the new running yards record in a game. It was also the biggest failure in a playoff game by Green Bay in arguably the history of the franchise, and Dom Capers was exposed big-time. I think the memo he left was misinterpreted by the Green Bay defense as "Avoid looking at the QB, and stay as far away from him as possible"; because that's what it looked like on TV. The holes they left for him to run through were absolutely pathetic. No excuse for it. Kaepernick took full advantage; but let's not pretend that there wasn't also a massive game-long failure by the Green Bay defense, yes?

I think hes talking about the articles that he handpicked to prove his point when he says when did anyone say kaep over wilson.

Articles I hand-picked? Good one. I know you want it to be that. Go Google recently written top QB lists, ignore any by SF/Seattle-area sources, and see what you get. 90% of people ranking Wilson above Kaepernick, that's what; but they're all wrong, right?

Small sample size for both. It's commonly accepted that you need 3 full years to properly evaluate long-term capability of a QB. I'd say they're a wash right now as far as evaluation capability goes; yes, Wilson has started more games, but he had very little training camp and pre-season prep due to QB competition, and Kaepernick rode the pine for a full year-and-a-half before becoming the starter. For all intents and purposes, I'd call that approximately equal. Wilson got more on-field experience, Kaepernick got significantly more mental preparation time. Bottom line, we'll be able to evaluate these two at the end of next season a LOT more accurately than we can right now.

I guess you didn't watch much TV or listen to much radio after SEA went down.

Maybe if you stuck around here after SEA lost you would of read the multiple links and reports about KAep.

Anyyyways...enjoy reading meaningless articles. And i hope you do read them. Because you almost had me convinced with those links, But these guys here brought me back to reality.

http://sportspressnw.com/2013/01/kaepernick-wilson-top-2-qbs-over-last-9-weeks/

Entering the day, ESPN Stats and Info compiled some numbers over the previous nine weeks of the NFL season with its QBR system that takes into account rushing as well as passing. The conclusion: Kaepernick and Wilson were the best.

1. Colin Kaepernick, San Francisco, 82.8

2. Russell Wilson, Seattle 81.7.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1510203-why-colin-kaepernick-is-potentially-the-most-dangerous-qb-weve-ever-met
"I'm not ready to crown him as the best quarterback in the NFL just yet, but as long asKaepernick stays healthy, avoids the big hit and continues to develop under the tutelage of Harbaugh, he has a chance to become the most dangerous NFL quarterback that has ever lived."

http://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/start/colin-kaepernick-russell-wilson.php

"No experts recommend Russell Wilson over Colin Kaepernick"

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/58240/best-nfc-west-qb-wilson-or-kaepernick

"Colin Kaepernick is the best quarterback in the NFC West"

"Kaepernick has been at his best when the game is on the line. He leads all qualified quarterbacks with a fourth quarter Total QBR of 95.8, well ahead of Russell Wilson's 63.2. When the score is within three points, Kaepernick leads the league with a 74.5 completion percentage and 10.5 yards per attempt (minimum 50 attempts)."
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Mar 21, 2013 at 2:52 AM ]
Through Week 15

Bold = Ummmm, Winning

Size: CK - 6'5" tall and 230 pounds. RW - 5'11" tall and 204 pounds.

Drafted: CK - Round 2, 2011 draft, No. 25 overall. RW - Round 3, 2012 draft, No. 75 overall.

Age: CK - 25 years old. Born 11/3/1987. RW - 24 years old. Born 11/29/1988.

Pass Completion Percentage: CK - 65.6 percent. RW - 62.9 percent.

Touchdowns to Interceptions Ratio: CK - 7:2 RW - 7:3

Ave Passing Yards Per Game per Start: CK - 217 RW - 193

Ave Yards Per Pass: CK - 8.40. RW - 7.64

Rushes and Rushing Average: CK - 53 rush for 379 yards, 7.2 average. RW - 78 rush for 402 yards, 5.2 average.

Rushing Touchdowns: CK - 5 RW - 3

Times Sacked: CK - 5:3 RW - 13:7

QB Passer Rating Score and Rank: CK - 101.5 (No. 5 overall). RW - 95.5 (No. 8 overall)

Total QBR Score and Rank: CK - 79.6 (No. 2 overall) RW - 68.7 (No. 8 overall).

Red Zone Efficiency: CK - 9 of 21 (42.8 percent). RW - 25 of 47 (53.1 percent).

No. of Starts and Win/Loss Record: CK - five starts (4-1). RW - 14 starts (9-5)

Salary Cap/Contract Cost: CK - four years for $5.124 million. RW - four years $2.990 million.

Becomes Free Agent in: CK - 2015. RW - 2016.

"But for the sake of this presentation, a decision has to be made as to who is the best long-term choice. The decision here would be Kaepernick."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1451824-russell-wilson-vs-colin-kaepernick-which-qb-would-we-rather-have-long-term

Hmm i wonder who i would draft?

/thread
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Mar 21, 2013 at 2:54 AM ]
Originally posted by RolandDeschain:

Wow. Just wow. I feel inspired to respond to this based solely on the laughable premise that so-called experts and bloggers are your basis for claiming that Russell Wilson is the best QB in the history of forever...and that anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot.

Now...Wilson is very good. On his way to being a very good pro. He's accurate, has a big arm and has flashed impressive athleticism. He's also shown an impressive grasp of complex passing concepts that were obviously beyond him early last season. I learned all of that by watching each of his games, not by reading articles penned by so-called "experts."

Next, Kaeprnick is very good. And he has a much higher ceiling than Wilson. He has a bigger arm. He is about as accurate, lacks Wilson's shiftiness, and is WAY faster (playing speed and track speed are two entirely separate concepts). Kaepernick's struggles last season were largely concept based. His mistakes had A LOT to do with his inability to identify pressure pre-snap, and to identify advanced zone concepts (particularly against the Rams). What changed for CK is simple: he became more adept at checking blitzes pre-snap and MUCH better at exploiting advanced zone concepts (match zone, cover 4, cover 6, etc).

After he "clicked", CK became more than very good. He became the driving force behind our offense...a true dual threat. And he managed to do that on the fly, with a team that runs the most complex offense in the NFL.

His playoff performances speak for themselves. They were historic. He's an epic player...and he's had an entire offseason to prepare himself for his first full season as starter. If his improvement over his last 4 games is any measure, he's going to knock the NFL flat on its @ss.

Wilson vs. Kaep is going to produce some epic games...but if you think that expert opinion makes one better than the other, you're dreaming.