There are 82 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Russell Wilson VS Colin Kaepernick

Originally posted by hawker84:
Russell Wilson: in reference to NinerFan84's question.

You know, I just went through some of this thread and I have come to the conclusion that I hate you. You know, like dog poop that gets on your shoe and you can't really get it all off, that kind of hate. All the best, and please don't drive too fast; I would hate to read about your recent death on one of our highways!

Go Frickin Niners~!
I would like to to focus more on the way they throw the ball if I may. I have been paying very close attention to Kaep's tendencies and I would like to see whether you might have noticed the same.

What I've found is Kaep tends to throw the ball with a much flatter trajectory. For short to intermediate distance passes it makes perfect sense as they are darts type throws. The ball essentially shoots passed tight windows and so forth. However, for the deeper passes and in particular fades, I don't know whether it is by tendency or lacking in technique, the trajectory also seems somewhat flatter than most other QBs' throws without much air under the ball. Ideally, I would imagine you would want the ball to land close to vertical as possible which makes it far easier for the receiver to catch without having to extend the body in a big way. Because Kaep's ball trajectory tends to be flatter, as such the ball tends to land in a much shallower angle with the ball almost going away from the receiver which makes it harder to catch. If you look at Russell Wilson's deep balls, they tend to be high balls with more of an inverted U-shaped trajectory. Flacco's deep balls are the same.

Like I said, I don't know whether it is a technique or tendency issue. It could also be an issue of touch. Personally, I would like to see a higher ball from Kaep for those deep throws as I believe it will help to increase the completion % of such big plays.

Any thoughts ?
Originally posted by HUGGY:
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
So what makes you say he is a monsterr?

Just my observation from the video I presented as evidense.

Pretty bold observation since that is a highlight reel of one game last year....
  • HUGGY
Originally posted by Rascal:
I would like to to focus more on the way they throw the ball if I may. I have been paying very close attention to Kaep's tendencies and I would like to see whether you might have noticed the same.

What I've found is Kaep tends to throw the ball with a much flatter trajectory. For short to intermediate distance passes it makes perfect sense as they are darts type throws. The ball essentially shoots passed tight windows and so forth. However, for the deeper passes and in particular fades, I don't know whether it is by tendency or lacking in technique, the trajectory also seems somewhat flatter than most other QBs' throws without much air under the ball. Ideally, I would imagine you would want the ball to land close to vertical as possible which makes it far easier for the receiver to catch without having to extend the body in a big way. Because Kaep's ball trajectory tends to be flatter, as such the ball tends to land in a much shallower angle with the ball almost going away from the receiver which makes it harder to catch. If you look at Russell Wilson's deep balls, they tend to be high balls with more of an inverted U-shaped trajectory. Flacco's deep balls are the same.

Like I said, I don't know whether it is a technique or tendency issue. It could also be an issue of touch. Personally, I would like to see a higher ball from Kaep for those deep throws as I believe it will help to increase the completion % of such big plays.

Any thoughts ?

I agree. When the deep ball noses over right into the hands of a WR I get a semi. RW throws a sexy deep ball.

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/videos/Russell-Wilson-on-the-art-of-the-deep-ball/da86da75-ccdf-4e53-b59f-06638962d1cf

Any thoughts ?

I agree. When the deep ball noses over right into the hands of a WR I get a semi. RW throws a sexy deep ball.

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/videos/Russell-Wilson-on-the-art-of-the-deep-ball/da86da75-ccdf-4e53-b59f-06638962d1cf

Kaep doesn't arc it too much right now, but lets not get crazy.

According to PFF, Kaepernick has the highest completion % in the NFL on passes over 20 yards. He HAS been able to show touch on passes (and I could show you had my Kaep vid on youtube not been pulled by the NFL). Two passes come to mind in particular...in his first start vs the Bars on monday night he threw what might be one of the prettiest passes I've ever seen. Into tight coverage, over the receivers shoulder, running away from him....perfect placement to Kyle Williams. That throw just made my jaw drop.

The second was vs the Packers to Vernon Davis. Deep pass. As Aikman said "he couldn't have placed it better if he'd ran up and handed it to him".

No, he doesn't have that rainbow pass right now, but he's one of the most ACCURATE deep ball throwers I've ever seen. He just doesn't throw jump balls.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Apr 5, 2013 at 8:56 AM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Any thoughts ?

According to PFF, Kaepernick has the highest completion % in the NFL on passes over 20 yards. He HAS been able to show touch on passes (and I could show you had my Kaep vid on youtube not been pulled by the NFL). Two passes come to mind in particular...in his first start vs the Bars on monday night he threw what might be one of the prettiest passes I've ever seen. Into tight coverage, over the receivers shoulder, running away from him....perfect placement to Kyle Williams. That throw just made my jaw drop.

The second was vs the Packers to Vernon Davis. Deep pass. As Aikman said "he couldn't have placed it better if he'd ran up and handed it to him".

No, he doesn't have that rainbow pass right now, but he's one of the most ACCURATE deep ball throwers I've ever seen. He just doesn't throw jump balls.

That throw to KW in the Bears game me and all my boys had the same exact reaction, all looking at each other with jaws on the floor...lol
[ Edited by ChipDouglas510 on Apr 5, 2013 at 9:19 AM ]

Any thoughts ?

I am not saying Kaep is bad in any way, but this is just an observation and thought it would be an area for him to improve on that's all.

One of my favourite passes of his is the 1st TD to Randy Moss in the Patriots game. I thought the timing, touch and accuracy was superb especially when the ball had to go on top of 2 DBs.
So what makes you say he is a monsterr?

Just my observation from the video I presented as evidense.

Pretty bold observation since that is a highlight reel of one game last year....

I can't wait to see our offense after a full off season with Kap as the starter. Hopefully Kaempernick in atlanta has already helped with everyone's timing. Can't wait for next year so the real CK vs RW debate can begin...
[ Edited by ChipDouglas510 on Apr 5, 2013 at 4:24 PM ]

The 57-yarder to Kyle Williams? My God was that beautiful.
[ Edited by baltien on Apr 5, 2013 at 2:58 PM ]
I don't think Schneider or Carroll went out to get McDaniel just to warm the bench. If ya have a great D Line already like Miami a guy like McDaniel can get lost in the shuffle. I doubt he was aquired to get one or one half sacks this season. LOL

Miami and great D-line in the same sentence??
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
You know, I just went through some of this thread and I have come to the conclusion that I hate you. You know, like dog poop that gets on your shoe and you can't really get it all off, that kind of hate. All the best, and please don't drive too fast; I would hate to read about your recent death on one of our highways!

Go Frickin Niners~!

ouch.......
Originally posted by pdizo916:
ouch.......

Yeah, that was a little much.
Again, the only fair comparison of talent would be to compare Wilson's first 10 starts to Kaepernick's first 10 starts:

Wilson's QBR average for his first 10 starts: 57.75

Kaepernick's QBR average for his first 10 starts: 98.3

It's pretty clear who has more raw talent, more raw ability, a faster mind for picking up the game and so on. This next season they'll both start from scratch at the same time. We'll see who is a better quarterback, but Kaepernick beat Wilson in his first season starting, hands down IMO.
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Originally posted by hawker84:
Russell Wilson: in reference to NinerFan84's question.

Go Frickin Niners~!

tell us how you really feel?