There are 68 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Russell Wilson VS Colin Kaepernick

I hope Wilson wins..................the Madden cover vote.
Originally posted by xtm059:
wat

Okay, lets do this. If Kaepernick is not better than Wilson, then he is either:

1. Exactly equivalent
2. Worse

(according to you)
49ers go 16-0 this year.

Seahawks 8-8.

already been addressed.. yes i think they're equal at this point... good luck with that 16-0 ... this aint the NFCWorst anymore.. and interesting you pick us to be .500... we get better over the offseason, yet we lose 3 more games?
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
I hope Wilson wins..................the Madden cover vote.

i don't even know if he was in the voting but i voted for Kap and Crabtree to be on the cover.. figured they deserved it being in the superbowl and all....
Originally posted by hawker84:
Originally posted by xtm059:
wat

Okay, lets do this. If Kaepernick is not better than Wilson, then he is either:

1. Exactly equivalent
2. Worse

(according to you)
49ers go 16-0 this year.

Seahawks 8-8.

already been addressed.. yes i think they're equal at this point... good luck with that 16-0 ... this aint the NFCWorst anymore.. and interesting you pick us to be .500... we get better over the offseason, yet we lose 3 more games?

While I understand why Seattle fans might be excited, I'm not all that convinced that the 'Hawks got that much "better".

Is Harvin an upgrade? Yes. I'm not a fan of Avril or Bennett tho.

I don't see Seattle going 8-8, but I do think Seattle fans have some delusions of grandeur right now. The advantage they get at the CLink....IMO makes people think they are better than they really are. They aren't going to win the NFC West if they go 3-5 on the road and 2-5 in opposing stadiums (one of their games was essentially a nuetral site).

The Niners at the moment are a bit worse than they were to close the season....but better than they were when they last played Seattle. The Niner offense really took off in the playoffs. Kaep really began to play well....just as Wilson did around midseason for the 'hawks.

Adding Harvin was certainly an upgrade...even though I don't think its as huge as some have made it out to be. Losing Walker and Goldson is a hit for the 49ers.

However...the draft is gonna change things. One of Seattle fans favorite mantras is that the niners are getting older so they laugh whenever the Niners sign an older player. They don't understand that those older players will only be around for a year until the next year when they sign another older guy for just a year. Its gonna happen every year.

Meanwhile, they are accumulating draft picks at an insane rate. THAT is where their youth will come from.

The Niners will have picked TWICE and have a pick just around the corner before the 'hawks get their first pick.

Colin Kaepernick. Aldon Smith. Navorro Bowman. Mike Iupati. Anthony Davis. LaMichael James. Kendall Hunter. All of these guys were DRAFT picks under this GM.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Apr 4, 2013 at 8:58 AM ]
Plus, when you look at the actual numbers on the older vs. younger argument, you find that the average age of the Niners is about 1.5 years older, so it's not like it's a huge difference. And, you're right - the huge number of picks in the draft will automatically lower their average age. Let's do the age calculation after we find out who makes the team from this year's draft.
It'll be nice see what Kaep can do with a full off-season and training camp as the #1 QB under his belt.
nvmnd
[ Edited by TheSixthRing on Apr 4, 2013 at 9:26 AM ]
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
nvmnd

I liked it.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
While I understand why Seattle fans might be excited, I'm not all that convinced that the 'Hawks got that much "better".

I don't see Seattle going 8-8, but I do think Seattle fans have some delusions of grandeur right now. The advantage they get at the CLink....IMO makes people think they are better than they really are. They aren't going to win the NFC West if they go 3-5 on the road and 2-5 in opposing stadiums (one of their games was essentially a nuetral site).

The Niners at the moment are a bit worse than they were to close the season....but better than they were when they last played Seattle. The Niner offense really took off in the playoffs. Kaep really began to play well....just as Wilson did around midseason for the 'hawks.

Adding Harvin was certainly an upgrade...even though I don't think its as huge as some have made it out to be. Losing Walker and Goldson is a hit for the 49ers.

However...the draft is gonna change things. One of Seattle fans favorite mantras is that the niners are getting older so they laugh whenever the Niners sign an older player. They don't understand that those older players will only be around for a year until the next year when they sign another older guy for just a year. Its gonna happen every year.

Meanwhile, they are accumulating draft picks at an insane rate. THAT is where their youth will come from.

The Niners will have picked TWICE and have a pick just around the corner before the 'hawks get their first pick.

Colin Kaepernick. Aldon Smith. Navorro Bowman. Mike Iupati. Anthony Davis. LaMichael James. Kendall Hunter. All of these guys were DRAFT picks under this GM.
valid points, but i say just for the simple reason RW will be coming into the first game , with a year of experience and full knowledge of the playbook, that alone makes us better.. forget Harvin, Avril and Bennett.. just that alone with last years lineup could/should add 1-2 game to the win column...
Defenses will have had a full off-year to study tape on both of them. Next year will be the real test.
valid points, but i say just for the simple reason RW will be coming into the first game , with a year of experience and full knowledge of the playbook, that alone makes us better.. forget Harvin, Avril and Bennett.. just that alone with last years lineup could/should add 1-2 game to the win column...

You could say the same for Kaepernick. In fact, you could argue that Kaepernick has higher growth potential in his second year, because the team won't be trying to learn how to accentuate his talents on the fly, in the middle of the season. Wilson had the QB competition with Flynn last year during training camp, but he was the starter from Week 1. By the time the playoffs had rolled around, the Seahawks' coaching staff had an entire season of learning how to get the most out of his abilities. The same can't be said of the Niners, who spent half of the year running an offense that was built around a very different QB.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Don't count on it.

...and that isn't a commentary about the Seahawks.

Just sayin' that things don't always seem to work out the way you expect them to.

Case in Point....Niners go 13-3 in 2011 after a lockout. Now Niners get a full offseason to learn the O and the D. They open like a shot out of a cannon winning in GB and beating Detroit (when everyone thought they were playoff contenders). Then they go on to never win 3 in a row all season, LOSE to Min and the Rams and Tie the Rams in the other meeting and get crushed by the Giants and 'hawks in their second meeting. They finish a respectable 11-5-1 and put it together for a Super Bowl run, but I'm just sayin' things don't always work out how you think. Ask Detroit.

You just never know.

I can say the same as you....Kaep with a full offseason as the starter. He's training in Atlanta right now and took Lockette (a WR you might be familiar with...not impressed so far) and AJ Jenkins (1st round pick) with him. He started training for this year 1.5 weeks after the season ended.

Seeing how he ended the season and all the work he's already putting in...thats good for a few more wins, right?

You just never know.

BTW...and I'm not including you in this because I haven't seen you be quite this ludicrous....but I'm on Seattle forums alot because they are so comical.

1) "Wilson is watching film and Kaep is getting more tats and trying to be the hulk". Right. Training in Atlanta has nothing to do with getting better at his craft. All he does is lift weights. He won't watch any film. Sigh.

2) The Harbaugh hate is out of control. If you never knew anything about him and only knew him from those forums, you'd think that he skinned kittens in his spare time.

3) I'm all for being excited, but the Wilson homerism is just nuts over there. RW is a young, exciting QB. There are peeps over there saying he's Manning. Woah. Slow down tiger. We Niner fans are pretty excited about Kaep...but MOST of us also know that he hasn't won anything yet. I think this is the difference between fanbases that have seen Montana and Young compared to a fanbase that's seen.....well.....yeah. Again, RW is a very exciting young player, but lets just slow down a tad.

4) The Niner age thing. The 49ers are ALWAYS going to sign older players to small contract and 1 year deals. Thats what they do. They build in the draft and suppliment with far cheaper vets. Braylon Edwards. Carlos Rogers. Randy Moss. Leonard Davis. Nnamdi Asomugha. What do they all have in common? 1 year deals. Niners sign an older guy and draft a young guy to replace him. Leonard Davis? 1 year deal and then the Niners drafted an injured Joe Looney to take his place. They selected him in round 4 and allowed him to "redshirt" his rookie year. Now Davis won't be back and Looney will take that spot. Randy Moss? Also drafted AJ Jenkins in round 1. We'll see if he's ready. Niners will likely do the same with Nnamdi...draft a big corner (Amerson?) to eventually replace him...assuming Nnamdi even makes the team. This dream of the Niners getting old and the Seahawks taking over because they're younger is a fantasy. The Hawks went after Avril and Bennett, but those are younger guys who underperformed (at least in Avrils case...and that wide nine scews the stats) and were available for a cheap price. They are going to want their walking papers or big $$$$ if they play well. The net effect is the same tho....they will be gone because Seattle won't be able to resign them AND RW, Sherman, etc.

The commentary I see over there like "the old getting older" just proves that they don't have a clue whats going on.

I know none of these were things you said specifically. I'm just sayin this in hopes that you can have a clue (not to say that you don't) when you report back to your tribe.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Apr 4, 2013 at 10:16 AM ]
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Defenses will have had a full off-year to study tape on both of them. Next year will be the real test.

Yeah...I keep hearing that, but I don't buy it.

The Pistol and read-option will continue to work because they are fully functioning offenses. The Wildcat was limited because it was essentially just a run formation and the "QB" couldn't be enough of a pass threat to stop D's from stacking.

Kaep, RW, and RGIII are different animals. As a D, you have to make a decision. Stop the run or stop the pass...and all three of those guys can beat you either way.
An amusing Floridian dialogue with a co-worker from this afternoon.

CW: Hey, I have a quick question for you when you get back.
Me: No, the Seahawks won't win the division this year,
CW: Why do you think that?
Me: The 49ers are in it.
CW: You know, somebody's gonna knock Kaepernick out eventually.
Me: You know, somebody's gonna step on Wilson eventually.
i am counting on it Marvin, for the reason as you stated above, he's a different animal.. i also think this applies to Kap and the niners as well... to compare our situation to the lions is a bit of a reach i think.. but one never knows.. all i know is out of the 22 starters we're bringing at least 20 back, and some added pieces.. we were in every game last season ( including at your place ) .. i don't see this team regressing, but then again our road schedule is much tougher next year.. to be the best you have to beat the best on their turf.. so if we have the same road issues, it will be a very disappointing season indeed.