There are 111 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Russell Wilson VS Colin Kaepernick

Originally posted by hawker84:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
One has beaten the rest of the NFC and gotten to the Super Bowl and the other hasn't.

well you can't argue with that, except for those pesky , viking, giant, rams (2), and seattle game... but other than that you are correct.

And the Giants lost to the Padres, Dodgers and Rockies but won the World Series. Dumbest comment ever.
Originally posted by Black24Razor:
Originally posted by hawker84:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
One has beaten the rest of the NFC and gotten to the Super Bowl and the other hasn't.

well you can't argue with that, except for those pesky , viking, giant, rams (2), and seattle game... but other than that you are correct.

And the Giants lost to the Padres, Dodgers and Rockies but won the World Series. Dumbest comment ever.

Not too mention that Kaep wasn't our QB during the Vikings, Giants, and Rams games.

Funny that Wilson's last game ended in a defeat against the Falcon's down by 17, while Kaep beat the Falcons down by 17 a week later. But Wilson is the more clutch leader. Clearly.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Not too mention that Kaep wasn't our QB during the Vikings, Giants, and Rams games.

Funny that Wilson's last game ended in a defeat against the Falcon's down by 17, while Kaep beat the Falcons down by 17 a week later. But Wilson is the more clutch leader. Clearly.

He played both Rams games actually. And how is Wilson the more clutch leader???
Originally posted by gold49digger:

Psssst ... he was being sarcastic there
Originally posted by Beeker:

Glad your sarcasm detector was on point. And, gold49erdigger, he came in midway through the first Rams game which is why I eluded to, not both games, but the one where we can't quite say he lost to them because he was our QB.

As much as I like Kaep as our QB and wouldn't trade him for anything, the one thing I see in Wilson is "clutch". The kid is just so consistent. You mentioned the Atlanta game, but I watched that game with hope that the Falcons would win, but knew that kid would bring them back. The difference in that game was at the start of the 4th quarter, the Chickens were down by 20. It was only a matter of time before the fluky things that kept Wilson out of the end zone had to give. Just like that he brought them back in that game to my disappointment. He had the game won and thank the Seahawks defense for allowing Ryan to get into FG range. Wilson impresses me because he is like a rock, not troubled by anything. I have waited for him to choke time and time again, but the guy just doesn't do it.

Kaep was clutch in that game himself, but his comeback started in the first half and the defense had the luxury of stopping a TD rather than a FG. What I like in Kaep is that he doesn't give up after making the mistake. Like the pick 6 with GB, he came back and tore it up to smoke the Packers. Kaep is going to improve that aspect of his game, he is still new to the whole thing, but in the big picture, Wilson is too and he already carries himself pretty strong in those situations. I hate it, but I am just going on what I see. If Wilson was ANYWHERE outside of this division or a Niner, I would love the guy, but he appears to be here to stay.
I think by the end of next season, that Kaep is going to have better stats than Wilson and will have grown a bunch working under coach Harbaugh, but I could see the Seahawks having a very similar win/loss record. It will be nice that Kaep has a guy like Boldin to go to. Someone with very good hands that will fight for the ball. It is going to be huge for this offense just having that extra pair of hands. Crabtree and Davis can't do it all and I would rather have Boldin on the field than MM at this point.
Originally posted by Rathmanator:

As much as I like Kaep as our QB and wouldn't trade him for anything, the one thing I see in Wilson is "clutch". The kid is just so consistent. You mentioned the Atlanta game, but I watched that game with hope that the Falcons would win, but knew that kid would bring them back. The difference in that game was at the start of the 4th quarter, the Chickens were down by 20. It was only a matter of time before the fluky things that kept Wilson out of the end zone had to give. Just like that he brought them back in that game to my disappointment. He had the game won and thank the Seahawks defense for allowing Ryan to get into FG range. Wilson impresses me because he is like a rock, not troubled by anything. I have waited for him to choke time and time again, but the guy just doesn't do it.

Kaep was clutch in that game himself, but his comeback started in the first half and the defense had the luxury of stopping a TD rather than a FG. What I like in Kaep is that he doesn't give up after making the mistake. Like the pick 6 with GB, he came back and tore it up to smoke the Packers. Kaep is going to improve that aspect of his game, he is still new to the whole thing, but in the big picture, Wilson is too and he already carries himself pretty strong in those situations. I hate it, but I am just going on what I see. If Wilson was ANYWHERE outside of this division or a Niner, I would love the guy, but he appears to be here to stay.

I'm not claiming either is better in clutch situations. We simply do not know at this point, however, there is plenty of evidence that both will excel in this category.

I hate to bring this up, but had the DB not held/PId Crabs on that final offensive play in the Super Bowl, I think that the throw would have been completed. And had the ref called Wilson's Hail Mary against the Packers correctly he wouldn't have been credited for that miraculous victory. Obviously, we cannot rewrite history, but regardless of the extenuating circumstances, both players have exuded tremendous poise in the waning moments of games. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable calling Wilson better in the clutch after seeing Kaep excel there in a short period of time.
Yeah, as much as I like to give Hawker a bad time and kid him about Wilson's height, Russell Wilson is the real deal. There is no question about it. We'll see if he can sustain that kind of success. I think the more teams play him, the better they'll get at doing the little things that limit his effectiveness. I expect Fangio to do some of the things the 70's Steelers did to Tarkenton - try to contain the outside, get as high as possible while crushing the pocket and stunting inside linebackers through the middle passing lanes he's trying to zero in on. But, he's definitely a serious challenge. I haven't seen such a spectacular scrambler literally since Fran Tarkenton.

But, as much as I respect Wilson's game, I'm astounded by Kaepernick. I've said this before, but I don't think I've ever seen a young QB with the combination of mental and physical gifts that he has. To me, he's kind of like a prototype perfect QB in the making. I know that sounds like hyperbole, but he just seems like he's got it all. And, when he has the benefit of an entire off season of preparing as the starter, he'll be getting the plays called on time, he'll be running the no-huddle, he'll be going through multiple reads - I think Niner fans are in for a long exciting ride here.

Glad your sarcasm detector was on point. And, gold49erdigger, he came in midway through the first Rams game which is why I eluded to, not both games, but the one where we can't quite say he lost to them because he was our QB.
Damn I'm usually good at figuring out sarcasm lol. And alright I get your point.

Damn I'm usually good at figuring out sarcasm lol. And alright I get your point.

Glad I could be of service, folks!
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Something else to consider is that was Kaepernicks first time playing in their stadium. You couldn't hear five feet in front of you there. There isn't a young quarterback in the league equiped to deal with that on their first visit. Kaepernick really seemed to learn from that experience. As good as he had been playing going into that game, he got even better after it. The playoffs proved that. I think you will see a far different result this season. We may not win in their house, but no way do we get manhandled like that again.

Oh I agree totally. It wasn't just that Kaep had trouble there, it is that THEY all have trouble there. I hate that the only way I can see Niner games live is to do it in that stadium. I was just pointing out that over the years that I have been attending that annual game, that they just don't squeak by their wins, the Chickens just destroy us there. We either win a close one or they take it too is. That last game was different in that it was the first time we were good at the same time as the chickens and I was expecting a close win, especially after riding that confidence from the NE game. It wasn't on Kaep IMHO, it was on the staff who decided to open the game up throwing when clearly it was important to NOT give their offense that kind of time. In the wins we have there, the crowd was just as noisy. We took ourselves out of the game by not playing to our strengths. I think Kaep will play much better there next time, but they cannot be toying around. We need to see more Gore and less Kaep. I swear, that first deep pass just had me flaming. I think we did it to try and shut them up, but they won't quit whether we score quick or not. Maybe for that play, but the next huddle, they will turn it up like it never happened.

One of these days, we are just going to pound them so far back that I will FINALLY get to witness the noise drop, but we are either close or they are killing us and it just makes them even louder. I literally wore earplugs last time. It is so noisy that all you can hear is distortion. I don't know how anyone operates there. Man I want to beat that team so bad there. The Silence of the Seahawks is my favorite movie and I have seen it a few times, always while the place is emptying. I love hanging around and chest bumping random Niner fans on those rare wins there. Priceless!
I'm not claiming either is better in clutch situations. We simply do not know at this point, however, there is plenty of evidence that both will excel in this category.

I hate to bring this up, but had the DB not held/PId Crabs on that final offensive play in the Super Bowl, I think that the throw would have been completed. And had the ref called Wilson's Hail Mary against the Packers correctly he wouldn't have been credited for that miraculous victory. Obviously, we cannot rewrite history, but regardless of the extenuating circumstances, both players have exuded tremendous poise in the waning moments of games. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable calling Wilson better in the clutch after seeing Kaep excel there in a short period of time.

Yeah, the GB game.. Kind of a crapper, but I am kind of torn in that it gave us the 2 seed and I have seen enough GB games against us where crap calls went their way. I dunno, even if that was a loss, the chickens would still have been the 5 seed.

I try to look at Kaep's last pass to Crabs objectively. Some angles it looks like he could have caught it and others it looks like the trajectory isn't right and it lands pretty far out. I think if Crabs could have got up high (and we know he can) that he could have snagged it. In any case, he was very rushed when he threw it and it wasn't his best (but he did get it there). I think Kaep is totally clutch, I just see the midget having that steady approach. Kaep is right there, he will be every bit as steady, but in 2012, that is the only real advantage I think Wilson had. Slippery yes, but Kaepvis pretty slippery himself and has 6 inches on the kid. Still early, but they both sure look good for first year starters.
I still say that the play that we saw at the end of the year from Wilson was near 85% of his ceiling as he already demonstrates every essential QB intangible and most of the tangibles. He can only improve from this point by film study and recognizing defenses better and his new weapon will also help him. Kaep on the other hand has every tangible and is developing the intangibles as the weeks go by and he might be, might be at about 60% playing capacity as you can still see some very rough edges still present and will only be worked out by having more reps and starting experience. When he rounds into form, I expect him to be incredible, even more so than Wilson.
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Mar 27, 2013 at 8:18 PM ]
I think trying to compare the two at this time isn't going to produce anything worth taking.

It might be 3 seasons before we really know, I could see them swapping teams and getting the same results. They are both just amazing players on their game. I genuinely think that when it is all said and done, that Kaep and Wilson both will have had more success and better careers than RG3 and Luck. While the Skins and Colts are trying to build, we are there now and as much as it pains me to say, the Chickens are right there with us. Well, maybe just a hair behind us ;)