There are 87 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Russell Wilson VS Colin Kaepernick

I'm a 49er fan of course I'll pick Kaep. Wilson is agile but small, can he take the punishment that will come? Many say that he throws a good long ball, I've watched his games and IMO there's a lot of air under the ball. Lynch will automatically make a QB look better than he is. I remember a QB Seattle had that was heralded as the next Joe Montana, didn'work out that way. Why is Flynn on the roster eating up cap space?
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Kaep is better at:
Speed, Arm Strength, Size, Running for yardage

Wilson and Kaep are essentially equal at:
Accuracy, Intelligence, Mental Toughness, Durability

Wilson is better at:
Escapability, Extending Plays

This...

Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Kap >>>>>>>> Every other QB in the history of the game not named Joe Montana or Steve Young

/thread

And this.
KAep is better at taking his team to the super bowl.
I've been a huge Kaep fan since his days at Nevada.... Im a huge CF junkie. I was an even bigger fan of Wilson though in college. Kaep is a freak of an athlete and it was known right from the start . A trainer said he was a better athlete than #1 pick Cam Newton before the draft =

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f54896/article/kaepernick-holds-slight-athletic-edge-over-newton-trainer-says

He has an Elway Arm, Vick Running ability and LB size. He's the kind of guy you create in Madden and put your last name on his back. He's fast, accurate, strong, durable ( took MAJOR shots at Nevada when he was a buck 90, and jumped back up, if you want proof..check out his first start against Boise ). He is physically everything you could ever dream of a QB being. With that all said, Russel just has something different. He has that, dare I say, Joe Coolness to him. If his team is up by 20 or down by 20, he has that same look in his eye. He is a master under pressure [ except in his last game at Wiscy, but lets blame the coaches for that one ;) ]. His ability to escape pressure, buy time and find an open man is INCREDIBLE, especially for a rookie QB....one who tied Mannings rookie record for TDs. The kid seems unflappable and really has a special quality to him that you can't teach or work on with clean and jerks like Kaep is doing in the picture above. It is an intangible that few have, and he has it big time. Kaep did very well under pressure this year, but you can tell he gets a little amped up. Wilson does not, that is the difference between the two today and I can't blame a Hawks fan if they say they like Wilson over Kaep, based on their bodies of work so far....only time will tell.

The X factor though is Dr Harbaughstein. His ability to mold QB's is far and away better than any coach in the league. Give him a giant piece of raw clay like Kaepernick and he'll create the Venus de Milo. Kaepernick has the work ethic and abiilty to listen and learn from Jimbo, combine that with his god given gifts and its a recepie for a true masterpiece.

Both are going to be amazing QB's for a long time.....should be one hell of a rivalry!!!
[ Edited by DRUSTOPO on Mar 20, 2013 at 7:33 AM ]
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Why is Flynn on the roster eating up cap space?
Because the security he provides is more valuable to the team than the nominal cap space that would be freed up if he were gone (that and, thus far, Schneider hasn't received an offer he can't refuse ;) )
Originally posted by AmpLee:
There are many factors to intelligence. I wouldn't consider Wilson extremely affluent. He is intelligent, confident, and has a good head on his shoulders, and that comes through when he speaks, but it's laughable to consider him one of the most affluent players in any sport. He was also a Communications major, fwiw. Kaep just isn't a talker in the media and his confidence isn't outward like Wilson's. However, Kaepernick was a 4.3 student in high school, a 4.0 student in college, and scored a 37 on the Wonderlic. Russell Wilson had a 2.84 GPA in high school, and scored a 28 on the Wonderlic. So I would consider Kaepernick a more intelligent guy by what we know. I'm also not claiming that it's a landslide victory, I just think Kaep edges out Wilson.

this is true however RW was a 4.0 graduate business student earning him the Arthur Ash scholar athlete award in 2011... so it's safe to say they're both intelligent... as far as the wonderlic test, it's been proven time and again to not be an accurate measurement of football intelligence...

size wise RW is 5'10&3/4" officially and listed at 206 lbs ... let's compare him to some other smaller qb's in league history and see how durability played out.

D. Flutie - 5'10" 180lbs - good solid career not to many injury problems
P. Haden - 5'11" 182lbs - good solid career not a lot of injuries
D. Brees - 6' 209lbs - good solid career not to many injury problems
G. Kubiak - 6' 192lbs - good solid career don't remeber a lot of injuries
J. Theismann 6' 192lbs - great career , other than the broken leg , not a lot of injuries
F. Tarkington 6' 190lbs - great career , not a lot of injuries

some will argue other than flutie, brees, the game now is much bigger and faster, hits harder, which is all true.. but RW is every bit as big as any of these QB's, and arguably the best scrambler of all of them.. his abiltiy to make people miss is second to none, which is why he doesn't take a lot of big hits.. he took a few last season.. you can look at him and see he's built solid, not a fragile Vick/ RG3 body type at all.. he can take a hit... he's bigger than G. Tate , Earl Thomas, they seem to take hits just fine.. so i really don't see his size being a concern...
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Intelligence is another area that Wilson is good in. He generally makes good decisions and has scored decently in aptitude tests. However, again, Kaep is noticeably better. He's a more intelligent guy, and that's not taking anything away from Wilson, but Kaep's mental ability is on the level of Luck, which I think most people consider to set the bar for young QBs.

I really can't see how Kaep has more intelligence than Wilson. If you've heard him speak, he's one of the most affluent players I've ever heard, in any sport. I'd say, If Kaep can match Wilson, then we're good.

There are many factors to intelligence. I wouldn't consider Wilson extremely affluent. He is intelligent, confident, and has a good head on his shoulders, and that comes through when he speaks, but it's laughable to consider him one of the most affluent players in any sport. He was also a Communications major, fwiw. Kaep just isn't a talker in the media and his confidence isn't outward like Wilson's. However, Kaepernick was a 4.3 student in high school, a 4.0 student in college, and scored a 37 on the Wonderlic. Russell Wilson had a 2.84 GPA in high school, and scored a 28 on the Wonderlic. So I would consider Kaepernick a more intelligent guy by what we know. I'm also not claiming that it's a landslide victory, I just think Kaep edges out Wilson.

Didn't Marino get like a 11 or something on the wonderlic. There's a difference between book smart and football smarts or common sense and reason.

Which is exactly why I said in the first sentence above, "There are many factors to intelligence." I have said numerous times that the Wonderlic is only a certain measure of aptitude and is not necessarily indicative of NFL success. That being said, it is a measure of aptitude and Colin Kaepernick excelled in it. He has shown nothing but tremendous intelligence on and off the field. And by the only measures we have of intelligence to go by (GPA, Wonderlic), Kaepernick beats out Wilson.

Good info AmpLee!

I realize that a good interview doesn't equate to high IQ, but I was very impressed every time I've seen him on media spots. I think it's appropriate to say that both guys have very good intelligence and football smarts.

Essentially, this whole thread can be boiled down to: both guys are going to really good!
Originally posted by hawker84:

this is true however RW was a 4.0 graduate business student earning him the Arthur Ash scholar athlete award in 2011... so it's safe to say they're both intelligent... as far as the wonderlic test, it's been proven time and again to not be an accurate measurement of football intelligence...

A 2.8 GPA in high school isn't good. Basically, if he weren't an athlete, he wouldn't get into a decent college and 28 on the wonderlic isn't that good.

4.0 in college is good though.

He would be working as a mall elf otherwise. Probaly would have the same hideous wife though.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Mar 20, 2013 at 11:12 AM ]
well ya because he has loser written all over him....
[ Edited by hawker84 on Mar 20, 2013 at 11:24 AM ]
Originally posted by hawker84:
well ya because he has loser written all over him....

I meant, with a 2.8 in high school, without athletics, he would probably have went to JC or a lower ranked state school and worked at the mall to support it. Threw in the mall elf as a joke.

I wouldn't call that being a "loser." There is nothing wrong with that path.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Mar 20, 2013 at 12:08 PM ]
CK's getting too swoll. Gonna limit his elusiveness. Look at VD's stiff ass. Can't juke for s**t.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
CK's getting too swoll. Gonna limit his elusiveness. Look at VD's stiff ass. Can't juke for s**t.

We need him to be able to take hits, not juke people.

He is a straight line runner.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Mar 20, 2013 at 12:08 PM ]
Kaep is busy clubbin and Wilson is studying game tape
I don't know what it is about Wilson, but the guy doesn't strike me as an injury concern because of his size. Yes, he's short for a quarterback, but the guy is very stocky. He has broad shoulders, and he looks like a linebacker or something. Very physically imposing. Kaepernik weighs 230, but he is also 6'4". Although he is athletic and muscular, he doesn't look physically threatening. For lack of a better word, he looks almost a bit lanky. I'm not saying there are concerns about Kaep's durability at all -- just that I think questioning Wilson's ability to stay healthy is really overstated.

Going forward, I'm not sure who I'd pick... Wilson does have some legitimate advantages over Kaep: he has a larger sample size of sustained success (Kaep did great in the time he played, but we have an extra 6-7 games of Wilson to look at), he did this in his rookie campaign (whereas Kaep had a year-and-a-half of studying on the bench, a full offseason, etc), and he did it with (arguably) less weapons (Kaep had Crabs, VD, the best running game / offensive line in football).

Kaep has some advantages too: his height (it will be interesting if teams start exploiting Wilson's height with more tape / time to gameplay), the tutelage of Harbaugh, better measurables.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
I meant, with a 2.8 in high school, without athletics, he would probably have went to JC or a lower ranked state school and worked at the mall to support it. Threw in the mall elf as a joke.

I wouldn't call that being a "loser." There is nothing wrong with that path.

i know , i was making light of the elf at the mall with the hidious wife joke... all in fun