There are 88 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Russell Wilson VS Colin Kaepernick

I think most level headed people around here understand that Wilson is going to be a great QB and a thorn in our side for the next decade. However, I still don't think he has the better potential over Kaep, nor will he have the better career. I think Kaep just nudges Wilson out in a number of categories we may measure a QBs ability.

Speed, arm strength, size (more important for durability than sight within the pocket), and intelligence are quantifiably in favor of Kaep.

Now one may point to similar 40 times, but just watching both players, Kaep has clearly shown better top end speed. I think Wilson is quicker (more agile).

Kaep's arm strength is possibly the best in the league. He was clocked in game throwing the ball on a TD pass to Crabtree at over 60 MPH. Wilson's combine high was 55. That's no slouch but Kaep clearly has the better arm.

Kaep's size is a distinct advantage for a number of reasons. On the surface of things he'll be able to make better reads and throw better from the pocket. Obviously Wilson showed his size wasn't a deterrent this year, however, there is a clear advantage to having a passer be able to see things and deliver the ball from a slightly higher level. That being said, I don't put much stock into this. What I do, however, is the fact that Kaep is a bigger guy with more meat on his bones, he should be able to handle the big hits better. He'll probably get hit more since Wilson's escapeability is possibly second to none, but when Wilson does take a hit where a 300 pound lineman plows him to the ground, his body will be less equipped to soften the blow.

Intelligence is another area that Wilson is good in. He generally makes good decisions and has scored decently in aptitude tests. However, again, Kaep is noticeably better. He's a more intelligent guy, and that's not taking anything away from Wilson, but Kaep's mental ability is on the level of Luck, which I think most people consider to set the bar for young QBs.

I think Wilson is clearly more Agile and has better pocket awareness. Wilson just has tremendous awareness and is a tough guy to harness. He is incredibly quick, which may actually be more important (historically at least) to a QB than top end speed. The ability to move around the way Wilson can will allow for things to really open up downfield. This should be his finest attribute in the years to come and supremely frustrating for any team playing against him.

The factors that are still up for grabs are leadership, clutchness, accuracy. We can debate who is better in these categories but they both have shown that they could both be potentially elite. Wilson is definitely a more outward leader. His confidence borders on cockiness, without being cocky. Kaep is more subdued. His humbleness in the face of media-defined super-stardom speaks to his character. Both guys, at very young ages, command the respect of the veterans they play with.

So far both have also been really clutch. I don't really need to go into detail here as we've seen both players lead amazing comebacks and show a certain calm that is rare in young guys when the game is on the line.

Accuracy is pretty even so far. Both guys have gone through stretches where receivers were dropping balls and balls weren't being delivered perfectly, but by and large both guys showed tremendous accuracy. Wilson got better as the year went on and was on point. Kaep showed that he might have the best deep accuracy in the league after just a half season of play.

Bottom line, both have the potential to be great. The thing about potential is that even if it's there, it takes a ton of hard work to realize it. Both guys have shown a willingness to put in that work. And if both guys reach their ceilings, I think Kaep will hold an edge based on being slightly bigger, faster, and stronger. My hope is that the next decade will bring epic matchups between these two guys and a healthy debate who is better at any given moment.
f**k wussle!
Intelligence is another area that Wilson is good in. He generally makes good decisions and has scored decently in aptitude tests. However, again, Kaep is noticeably better. He's a more intelligent guy, and that's not taking anything away from Wilson, but Kaep's mental ability is on the level of Luck, which I think most people consider to set the bar for young QBs.

I really can't see how Kaep has more intelligence than Wilson. If you've heard him speak, he's one of the most affluent players I've ever heard, in any sport. I'd say, If Kaep can match Wilson, then we're good.

Kaep is better at:
Speed, Arm Strength, Size, Running for yardage

Wilson and Kaep are essentially equal at:
Accuracy, Intelligence, Mental Toughness, Durability

Wilson is better at:
Escapability, Extending Plays
Man I really wish I can like Wilson. He was my sleeper qb during the draft last year. I can only hope he would want to join another team once his contract expires but unfortunately he will be a pain in our side for a decade.

Good thing we have Kaepernick
Kap >>>>>>>> Every other QB in the history of the game not named Joe Montana or Steve Young

/thread
Wonder if Wilson can do this

Wilson got that quickness. I dont think he has the same top end speed, but man that dude escapes pressure like nobodies business.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

I really can't see how Kaep has more intelligence than Wilson. If you've heard him speak, he's one of the most affluent players I've ever heard, in any sport. I'd say, If Kaep can match Wilson, then we're good.

There are many factors to intelligence. I wouldn't consider Wilson extremely affluent. He is intelligent, confident, and has a good head on his shoulders, and that comes through when he speaks, but it's laughable to consider him one of the most affluent players in any sport. He was also a Communications major, fwiw. Kaep just isn't a talker in the media and his confidence isn't outward like Wilson's. However, Kaepernick was a 4.3 student in high school, a 4.0 student in college, and scored a 37 on the Wonderlic. Russell Wilson had a 2.84 GPA in high school, and scored a 28 on the Wonderlic. So I would consider Kaepernick a more intelligent guy by what we know. I'm also not claiming that it's a landslide victory, I just think Kaep edges out Wilson.
Originally posted by SolRebe1:

Kaep all the way! He is Beasting it! Can Wilson do that? Probably not.

But Wilson def. will be a pain in the butt playing him twice a year.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AmpLee:

There are many factors to intelligence. I wouldn't consider Wilson extremely affluent. He is intelligent, confident, and has a good head on his shoulders, and that comes through when he speaks, but it's laughable to consider him one of the most affluent players in any sport. He was also a Communications major, fwiw. Kaep just isn't a talker in the media and his confidence isn't outward like Wilson's. However, Kaepernick was a 4.3 student in high school, a 4.0 student in college, and scored a 37 on the Wonderlic. Russell Wilson had a 2.84 GPA in high school, and scored a 28 on the Wonderlic. So I would consider Kaepernick a more intelligent guy by what we know. I'm also not claiming that it's a landslide victory, I just think Kaep edges out Wilson.

Didn't Marino get like a 11 or something on the wonderlic. There's a difference between book smart and football smarts or common sense and reason.
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by AmpLee:

Didn't Marino get like a 11 or something on the wonderlic. There's a difference between book smart and football smarts or common sense and reason.

Which is exactly why I said in the first sentence above, "There are many factors to intelligence." I have said numerous times that the Wonderlic is only a certain measure of aptitude and is not necessarily indicative of NFL success. That being said, it is a measure of aptitude and Colin Kaepernick excelled in it. He has shown nothing but tremendous intelligence on and off the field. And by the only measures we have of intelligence to go by (GPA, Wonderlic), Kaepernick beats out Wilson.

Wow is that Kaep?
Originally posted by Wrathman:

Wow is that Kaep?

My QB can kick your QB's A$$! Kaep is a beast.
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Wilson got that quickness. I dont think he has the same top end speed, but man that dude escapes pressure like nobodies business.

Teams will learn to keep him in one place. He isn't a Vick type of player. If he continues to scrambled around like he did this last year I guarantee someone will knock his f**king head off.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Originally posted by modninerfan:

Teams will learn to keep him in one place. He isn't a Vick type of player. If he continues to scrambled around like he did this last year I guarantee someone will knock his f**king head off.

Collapse the pocket around him, he won't be able to see over the line!