There are 366 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Donte Whitner aka Hitner

Originally posted by defenderDX:
No, cutting Whitner BEFORE we've drafted and young talent to eventually replace is a bad method. Geez it's like you don't listen

I never said we should cut him before draft, training camp, etc.. I'm talking about replacing, then cutting
Originally posted by Cooper22:
No, cutting Whitner BEFORE we've drafted and young talent to eventually replace is a bad method. Geez it's like you don't listen

I never said we should cut him before draft, training camp, etc.. I'm talking about replacing, then cutting

K well you sure didn't make that very clear at all when you started this thread.
Can't we all just get along?
K well you sure didn't make that very clear at all when you started this thread.

I thought it was kind of assumed
Originally posted by Beeker:
Can't we all just get along?

I wish

I thought it was kind of assumed

Saying "Cut Donte Whitner" as the original thread title isn't going to make people think you mean until much later.

Saying "Cut Donte Whitner" as the original thread title isn't going to make people think you mean until much later.

The whole description I talked about replacement options.. I changed the title to Replace Donte Whitner.. What more do you want from me? ... I guess it could have been a little more clear, but this whole time, I've been arguing about how easily Whitner can be replaced, not that he should be cut ASAP.. The only reason I brought up cutting him was to save money IF and only IF we go after a replacement free agent

The whole description I talked about replacement options.. I changed the title to Replace Donte Whitner.. What more do you want from me? ... I guess it could have been a little more clear, but this whole time, I've been arguing about how easily Whitner can be replaced, not that he should be cut ASAP.. The only reason I brought up cutting him was to save money IF and only IF we go after a replacement free agent

Doesn't look like that's gonna happen. We'll probably get someone in the draft, but I doubt the intent is to replace him.

The ONLY FA Safety I would want (good thing I'm not the GM) at this point is Kerry Rhodes. Other than that, I don't think there's anyone available outside of the draft and who we currently have on the roster worth signing.
The ONLY FA Safety I would want (good thing I'm not the GM) at this point is Kerry Rhodes. Other than that, I don't think there's anyone available outside of the draft and who we currently have on the roster worth signing.

Idk price-wise if he's cheaper, but Quintin Mikell would be an upgrade also IMO.. Just as good in run support and better in pass coverage

Idk price-wise if he's cheaper, but Quintin Mikell would be an upgrade also IMO.. Just as good in run support and better in pass coverage

Living in Phoenix, I've seen a lot of Rhodes. He's a solid Safety, good coverage and run support skill set. Cardinulls fans are LIVID he got cut. New GM/Coach want their own guys there.

Living in Phoenix, I've seen a lot of Rhodes. He's a solid Safety, good coverage and run support skill set. Cardinulls fans are LIVID he got cut. New GM/Coach want their own guys there.

I definitely agree with that and think he's the best safety left in free agency, but I'm just not sure if we can afford him, even if we cut Whitner
Originally posted by Niners99:
lol we already lost Goldson, now you want to cut Whitner? Who exactly do you plan on replacing them with? 100 year old Charles Woodson? The f/a market isnt exactly crawling with starting safeties.

It would leave a hole, and we probably couldnt do better. Thus, cutting Whitner is a terrible idea.

LIST of Replacements (Last Time):
Pollard
Mikell
Rhodes
Huff
Trent Robinson
Matt Elam
John Cyprien
Shawn Williams
JJ Wilcox
Earl Wolff
Duke Williams
Tj Mcdonald
DJ Swearinger
Tony Jefferson

Every single one of these players would be a lateral/cheaper move, or an upgrade

Every single one of those names is a downgrade. Rhodes might be lateral. Its not about saving money, its about taking the next step to being a SB champ. Getting worse in an area of weakness to save money isnt the habit of a winning team.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Every single one of those names is a downgrade. Rhodes might be lateral. Its not about saving money, its about taking the next step to being a SB champ. Getting worse in an area of weakness to save money isnt the habit of a winning team.

Like I said, a lot of fans are a lot higher on Whitner than I am.. I personally don't see any value that he provides to the team that couldn't be easily replaced
Can be replaced yes, easily not so much. I know your not very high on whitner but he is pretty much a leader in our secondary and leadrship isnt as easy to replace as signing a free agent and cutting what many fans consider to be our weak link. I keep seeing your comments on the days of the classic style ss are limited but i tend to disagree until the days of running offenses have disappeared which will happen never. When we have a good coverage fs on the team there is always room for a ss who fits the profile for run support. When whitner is replaced i really dont expect it to be for two ballhawking free safeties, our defense fits the profile for a classic ss and since our defense has been our main success over the past few seasons i dont see us changing it to substantially any time soon.