There are 84 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Donte Whitner aka Hitner

Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by kray28:
Mitchell might actually be an upgrade on Whitner.

Mitchell is definitely younger, but Whitner did rate higher last year in terms of coverage. Considering the year Whitner had in 2013, it's a slight downgrade actually. But the thinking is likely, plug in a reasonably affordable veteran like Mitchell for a year or two and draft the safety of the future in May.
True, but when was the last time WHitner was that good in coverage? He bad the year before.

Last year.

He was ranked as the 5th best safety in pass coverage.
Gonna miss the guy. Was a great leader on our defense. Always remember the bone jarring hit he put on Pierre Thomas. One of the defining plays of this current 49er era. So long, and heil Hitner.
[ Edited by AmpLee on Mar 11, 2014 at 10:48 AM ]
Losing more pieces of a great defense is never good.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Gonna miss the guy. Was a great leader on our defense. Always remember the bone jarring hit he put on Pierre Thomas. One of the defining plays of this current 49er era. So long, and heil Hitner.

Still not sure we win that game if Whitner doesn't set the tone in a major way with that hit. Goosebumps thinkin about it lol.

Good luck in Clevland Donte.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by kray28:
Mitchell might actually be an upgrade on Whitner.

Mitchell is definitely younger, but Whitner did rate higher last year in terms of coverage. Considering the year Whitner had in 2013, it's a slight downgrade actually. But the thinking is likely, plug in a reasonably affordable veteran like Mitchell for a year or two and draft the safety of the future in May.
True, but when was the last time WHitner was that good in coverage? He bad the year before.

Last year.

He was ranked as the 5th best safety in pass coverage.


I know he was good last year in coverage, but he sucked the year before. I think last year was his best ever after 9 years in the NFL, we can't expect that to happen again.
I think he'll be easier to replace than Goldson.
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by kray28:
Mitchell might actually be an upgrade on Whitner.

Mitchell is definitely younger, but Whitner did rate higher last year in terms of coverage. Considering the year Whitner had in 2013, it's a slight downgrade actually. But the thinking is likely, plug in a reasonably affordable veteran like Mitchell for a year or two and draft the safety of the future in May.
True, but when was the last time WHitner was that good in coverage? He bad the year before.

Last year.

He was ranked as the 5th best safety in pass coverage.


I know he was good last year in coverage, but he sucked the year before. I think last year was his best ever after 9 years in the NFL, we can't expect that to happen again.

He'll be missed, but he's definitely not irreplaceable.
Well at least we'll get less hit on a defenseless receiver calls next year
Originally posted by crabman82:
Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot 50s
Donte Whitner expects to be a Cleveland Brown by 4 p.m. today, source says http://dlvr.it/56snbQ ;

I'm ok with Whitner leaving. Obviously his age plays a huge factor in it. Eventually we would have to replace him. Better to do it now IMO.
[ Edited by ApatheticIAm on Mar 11, 2014 at 10:53 AM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 18,215
Niners Nation ‏@NinersNation

. @MikeCairns5 "hearing" Whitner agreed to little under $8-$8.5M neighborhood Cairns tweeted last night
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,345
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by crabman82:
Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot 50s
Donte Whitner expects to be a Cleveland Brown by 4 p.m. today, source says http://dlvr.it/56snbQ ;


This. It is as unofficially official as it can be until the Browns post the obligatory "Check out Whitner signing his contract" pic.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/03/donte_whitner_cleveland_browns.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Also....if Whitner is making $8M a year....imagine what Byrd and Ward are going to make!
[ Edited by sfout on Mar 11, 2014 at 10:56 AM ]
Originally posted by Jcool:
Niners Nation ‏@NinersNation

. @MikeCairns5 "hearing" Whitner agreed to little under $8-$8.5M neighborhood Cairns tweeted last night

wtf is earl thomas worth then 15 mil per season?
8 mil a year for Whitner? What is Cleveland smoking. The Browns still have no idea how to rebuild.
We can do better than Whitner. Granted he upped his pass coverage skills, we can find a better cover safety. PBU ensure incompletions huge hits not so much