There are 157 users in the forums

Donte Whitner aka Hitner

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KegBert:
I have a feeling whitner will not be as seemlessly replaced as Dashon was, I'm less then stoked about losing him.

I think we'll be fine. Whitner isn't the anchor of our D. Bowman is a considerably more significant loss.
Really?!!?! To the f**king browns?! Way to accept more money over winning.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot 50s
Donte Whitner expects to be a Cleveland Brown by 4 p.m. today, source says http://dlvr.it/56snbQ ;

weak.

its to be expected. if we let our guys get to free agency, its not likely we bring them back. getting to the open market only raises the price of a player that we had not been able to sign behind the scenes when nobody could bid against us.

Yeah, I'm not necessarily supprised, Im just less optimistic about finding a suitable replacement this year than some of the other zoners. I;m sure Baalke has something cooking though.
Originally posted by mrbusinessman499:
Really?!!?! To the f**king browns?! Way to accept more money over winning.

easy to say from your position when you have a bias towards your fav team and you dont have to be the one to say no to millions of more dollars
Originally posted by kray28:
I have a feeling whitner will not be as seemlessly replaced as Dashon was, I'm less then stoked about losing him.

I think we'll be fine. Whitner isn't the anchor of our D. Bowman is a considerably more significant loss.

No disagreements on that end, Bow has turned into a superstar in front of our eyes.
So who are we going to sign to replace him
Donte Whitner expects to be a Cleveland Brown by 4 p.m. today, source says http://dlvr.it/56snbQ ;

weak.

its to be expected. if we let our guys get to free agency, its not likely we bring them back. getting to the open market only raises the price of a player that we had not been able to sign behind the scenes when nobody could bid against us.

Yeah, I'm not necessarily supprised, Im just less optimistic about finding a suitable replacement this year than some of the other zoners. I;m sure Baalke has something cooking though.

my advice is to not worry about it. until we're 4 games deep into next season and the new guy cant cover for s**t, then yeah freak out. but you cant get worked up or nervous about a situation you cant control, especially when the dude who can control it has a pretty good track record.
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Mitchell might actually be an upgrade on Whitner.

Mitchell is definitely younger, but Whitner did rate higher last year in terms of coverage. Considering the year Whitner had in 2013, it's a slight downgrade actually. But the thinking is likely, plug in a reasonably affordable veteran like Mitchell for a year or two and draft the safety of the future in May.
True, but when was the last time WHitner was that good in coverage? He bad the year before.

Last year.

He was ranked as the 5th best safety in pass coverage.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Losing more pieces of a great defense is never good.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Gonna miss the guy. Was a great leader on our defense. Always remember the bone jarring hit he put on Pierre Thomas. One of the defining plays of this current 49er era. So long, and heil Hitner.

Still not sure we win that game if Whitner doesn't set the tone in a major way with that hit. Goosebumps thinkin about it lol.

Good luck in Clevland Donte.

• pd24
  • Veteran

Mitchell is definitely younger, but Whitner did rate higher last year in terms of coverage. Considering the year Whitner had in 2013, it's a slight downgrade actually. But the thinking is likely, plug in a reasonably affordable veteran like Mitchell for a year or two and draft the safety of the future in May.
True, but when was the last time WHitner was that good in coverage? He bad the year before.

Last year.

I know he was good last year in coverage, but he sucked the year before. I think last year was his best ever after 9 years in the NFL, we can't expect that to happen again.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
I think he'll be easier to replace than Goldson.

Last year.

I know he was good last year in coverage, but he sucked the year before. I think last year was his best ever after 9 years in the NFL, we can't expect that to happen again.

He'll be missed, but he's definitely not irreplaceable.
Well at least we'll get less hit on a defenseless receiver calls next year

Share 49ersWebzone