There are 187 users in the forums

Donte Whitner aka Hitner

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Mitchell might actually be an upgrade on Whitner.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Giedi:
That's true. But if your passing attack is top notch, and you can score regularly, the only option for the other team is to score right along with you. If you have a very strong passing defense, and an above average run defense - the other team will be left in the dust, specially with a ball control offense (be it running or passing). Our first four super bowls, we had Mike Walter, Jack Reynolds, Matt Millen, and Ricky Ellison back there shoring up our Linebacking corps - our superstar linebacker was Ken in the 5th superbowl, and other than Ken, we didn't have superstar linebackers there during our 5 super bowls and still managed to win four without an all pro middle linebacker. (Note: I view Fred and Charles as DE's and not OLB's) Personally, with the continued development of Kaepernick, I'd redesign this defense towards more of a George Seifert model than a Dome patrol model. That means we need Whitner, devote some draft resources to some cornerbacks, and move cap space from the linebackers to the DB's.

Entirely different era now.

In the era of a pass-happy offenses, having a dominant pass rush is the most crucial thing by far. The best quarterback, given time to sit back in the pocket, will pick apart a secondary filled with All-Pro's, however, you pressure that quarterback repeatedly and all of a sudden they look a lot less impressive. Seattle has succeeded primarily not because their secondary, but because they have a very legit, intense pass rush that kept attacking and attacking Peyton Manning and they have some opportunistic ballhawks in the secondary who made him pay for errant throws.

So in this case I think cornerback is a position that can be easily filled, the heart of the 49ers defense is and will continue to be their front seven.

Not necessarily. The only thing that really has changed since the dynasty years is the cap, and some rule changes helping the passing game more. By definition a passing defense is a good solid pass rush and good solid coverage. You are right that a pass rush can help mediocre DB's, but we're not talking facing mediocre passing attacks, were talking about facing Wilson and Golden Tate and Doug Baldwin who will torch average DB's even if you have the Steeler's Hall of Fame D Line. (I think our D Line in the Playoffs was a decent D Line by the way) Keep in mind a ball control offense will obviate the need for a very strong run defense - hence you can devote more cap space to the D Line and DB's. You will still need an above average run defense, but you don't need all pro middle linebackers to do it with. Now, this is tied in with the **ass**umption** that Kaepernick will continue to progress and be an unstoppable QB once he's able to read his 4rth and 5th option. The go ahead TD in the playoff loss was done on our secondary not on our run defense.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kray28:

Better in coverage and it seems he is pretty good at getting the QB on the safety blitz.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
double post
[ Edited by Giedi on Mar 11, 2014 at 11:20 AM ]

Mitchell is definitely younger, but Whitner did rate higher last year in terms of coverage. Considering the year Whitner had in 2013, it's a slight downgrade actually. But the thinking is likely, plug in a reasonably affordable veteran like Mitchell for a year or two and draft the safety of the future in May.
Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot 50s
Donte Whitner expects to be a Cleveland Brown by 4 p.m. today, source says http://dlvr.it/56snbQ ;
I have a feeling whitner will not be as seemlessly replaced as Dashon was, I'm less then stoked about losing him.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Donte Whitner expects to be a Cleveland Brown by 4 p.m. today, source says http://dlvr.it/56snbQ ;

weak.
My friend's cousin's old barber who used to shape his eyebrows told me he saw Whitner check in at the Super 8 in Cleveland.
They booked him a suite there with double beds. I think he's about to sign. Apparently they threw in free cab rides on weekdays from 6p-8p
to reel him in
  • kray28
  • Veteran
If you're good, other teams are always going to be raiding your cupboard. It's a lose-lose really. Niners lose a valued member in their secondary, and the Browns wildly overpay for him.

Happy he got his cash, but kiss any chance of a ring goodbye. For a lot of players though....that's an acceptable tradeoff.
[ Edited by kray28 on Mar 11, 2014 at 10:42 AM ]

Originally posted by KegBert:
Originally posted by crabman82:

weak.

its to be expected. if we let our guys get to free agency, its not likely we bring them back. getting to the open market only raises the price of a player that we had not been able to sign behind the scenes when nobody could bid against us.
  • pfizz
Loved his leadership, but hated how much of a liability he was in coverage. Bring in someone who cant be exploited.
If you're good, other teams are always going to be raiding your cupboard. It's a lose-lose really. Niners lose a valued member in their secondary, and the Browns wildly overpay for him.

Happy he got his cash, but kiss any chance of a ring goodbye. For a lot of players though....that's an acceptable tradeoff.

for a lot of these guys they've already won in the game of life. a super bowl championship or all pro nod is just icing on the cake. for very few of these guys a ring is a primary motive.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Mitchell is definitely younger, but Whitner did rate higher last year in terms of coverage. Considering the year Whitner had in 2013, it's a slight downgrade actually. But the thinking is likely, plug in a reasonably affordable veteran like Mitchell for a year or two and draft the safety of the future in May.
True, but when was the last time WHitner was that good in coverage? He bad the year before.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Retweeted by Matt Barrows Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot 4m
Donte Whitner expects to be a Cleveland Brown by 4 p.m. today, source says
Share 49ersWebzone