LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 249 users in the forums

Donte Whitner aka Hitner

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by spizzy:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yet Reid went to the Pro Bowl in his first year and played WAY better than Goldson. Right?

Fangio may be forced to blitz more, play more press, some cover 3, etc. until everyone is on the same page...and we may find out this more simplified scheme (like Seattle) is best suited for this personnel and we get better in the end.

I'm just saying I think whitner is criminally underrated on the zone. People want to claim he's overrated and that he's only a box safety yet he graded well in coverage

Yeah, He is underratted here but he also isnt worth what the Brown's are probably going to pay him. At some point you just get priced out of the market on guys. There are people you break the bank for...pass rushers, QB's..but a strong safety, even a good one isnt going to be one of those spots. There are guys out there cheaper who are only a little worse and you could draft a kid early and have him possibly be better. I know people are saying we dont go with a rookie, but with out Safety positions being considered more interchangeable than most I think that is a real possiblity.
Overrated player who looked better being around great players on defense plus his style of play is not really allowed in the NFL nowadays. I think we can upgrade pretty easily. Enjoy the cold weather and losing in Cleveland Whitner, Hitner, eh it don't matter no one will know or care about your name now
who in their right mind would think of going to Cleveland
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
On the flip side, we can't assume we will magically adjust and everything will be A-OK for us. Maybe we just aren't able to find the pieces we really want and need this off-season? Maybe that trickles down into the season and the defense's on-field performance? Maybe we see how much the team suffers due to lacking certain elements? Maybe not. It goes both ways. Whitner had a career year. I felt we should've given him a Carlos Rogers-like deal. Let him keep his play up while he can, keep the defensive backfield stabilized and consistent. Draft someone to groom, and then let him go.

Now, if Whitner won't take a reasonable deal, there's nothing we can do about that. It's the right move to not overpay.

really? he got like 7 mil per season 2 offseasons ago. i never thought of that as a reasonable contract what so ever. if we gave whitner something similar, we'd be b***hing about it before next season was over.

I hope you understand I am only speaking in terms of the length of the contract, not the salary, which is inferred by my following comments that "if he won't take a reasonable offer, let him walk".
On the flip side, we can't assume we will magically adjust and everything will be A-OK for us. Maybe we just aren't able to find the pieces we really want and need this off-season? Maybe that trickles down into the season and the defense's on-field performance? Maybe we see how much the team suffers due to lacking certain elements? Maybe not. It goes both ways. Whitner had a career year. I felt we should've given him a Carlos Rogers-like deal. Let him keep his play up while he can, keep the defensive backfield stabilized and consistent. Draft someone to groom, and then let him go.

Now, if Whitner won't take a reasonable deal, there's nothing we can do about that. It's the right move to not overpay.

really? he got like 7 mil per season 2 offseasons ago. i never thought of that as a reasonable contract what so ever. if we gave whitner something similar, we'd be b***hing about it before next season was over.

I hope you understand I am only speaking in terms of the length of the contract, not the salary, which is inferred by my following comments that "if he won't take a reasonable offer, let him walk".

its just confusing because even though rogers was re-signed, essentially for the entire 2 years since people have hated that contract and felt it was way too high a price for a player of his age and caliber. when you say carlos rogers like deal, nobody gonna even remember how long his deal was for, they just remember the gross amount of millions attached to it.
Calvin Pryor baby!!!

Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

He is from there but he went there for the money.
Originally posted by JackPardeePants:

win-win. go home and get paid, most players dont turn that down. samething josh morgan did.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Yeah, He is underratted here but he also isnt worth what the Brown's are probably going to pay him. At some point you just get priced out of the market on guys. There are people you break the bank for...pass rushers, QB's..but a strong safety, even a good one isnt going to be one of those spots. There are guys out there cheaper who are only a little worse and you could draft a kid early and have him possibly be better. I know people are saying we dont go with a rookie, but with out Safety positions being considered more interchangeable than most I think that is a real possiblity.

He's way overrated. He made the pro bowl because he plays for the 49ers and is surrounded by great players. He will be a major liabilty on Cleveland like he was in Buffalo. The Bills did not even try to keep him and only the 49ers and Bengals went after him when he became a FA.

win-win. go home and get paid, most players dont turn that down. samething josh morgan did.

that turned out well for Morgan

Any one of us if the money is right!
Originally posted by Giedi:
That's true. But if your passing attack is top notch, and you can score regularly, the only option for the other team is to score right along with you. If you have a very strong passing defense, and an above average run defense - the other team will be left in the dust, specially with a ball control offense (be it running or passing). Our first four super bowls, we had Mike Walter, Jack Reynolds, Matt Millen, and Ricky Ellison back there shoring up our Linebacking corps - our superstar linebacker was Ken in the 5th superbowl, and other than Ken, we didn't have superstar linebackers there during our 5 super bowls and still managed to win four without an all pro middle linebacker. (Note: I view Fred and Charles as DE's and not OLB's) Personally, with the continued development of Kaepernick, I'd redesign this defense towards more of a George Seifert model than a Dome patrol model. That means we need Whitner, devote some draft resources to some cornerbacks, and move cap space from the linebackers to the DB's.

Entirely different era now.

In the era of a pass-happy offenses, having a dominant pass rush is the most crucial thing by far. The best quarterback, given time to sit back in the pocket, will pick apart a secondary filled with All-Pro's, however, you pressure that quarterback repeatedly and all of a sudden they look a lot less impressive. Seattle has succeeded primarily not because their secondary, but because they have a very legit, intense pass rush that kept attacking and attacking Peyton Manning and they have some opportunistic ballhawks in the secondary who made him pay for errant throws.

So in this case I think cornerback is a position that can be easily filled, the heart of the 49ers defense is and will continue to be their front seven.

that turned out well for Morgan

these guys dont view it like we do. he went home and got paid, so yeah in his mind it worked out fine.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Entirely different era now.

In the era of a pass-happy offenses, having a dominant pass rush is the most crucial thing by far. The best quarterback, given time to sit back in the pocket, will pick apart a secondary filled with All-Pro's, however, you pressure that quarterback repeatedly and all of a sudden they look a lot less impressive. Seattle has succeeded primarily not because their secondary, but because they have a very legit, intense pass rush that kept attacking and attacking Peyton Manning and they have some opportunistic ballhawks in the secondary who made him pay for errant throws.

So in this case I think cornerback is a position that can be easily filled, the heart of the 49ers defense is and will continue to be their front seven.

Dead on!
Report: #49ers hosting Free Agent S Mike Mitchell http://t.co/UQkCej8llq
Share 49ersWebzone