LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 300 users in the forums

Donte Whitner aka Hitner

Shop 49ers game tickets
IMO, Trent will wait for the FA market to get picked over and then see who is left. Then make a very low offer. I'd like us to make an offer to CB Nolan Carroll of Miami - 6'1" 205.

I see Whitner getting some big bucks w/another team.

I think we'll draft a S within the first 2 rounds and maybe a sleeper in the later rounds like Jason Hendricks from Pittsbugh.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Kinda feel like Nate Allen could be a Dorsey this year.

Supposedly Allen was a guy Baalke coveted in 2010. NFL films was in our draft war room, and Baalke was visibly upset the moment Allen was taken. We settled for Taylor Mays. Maybe Baalke takes a flier on him, and shifts Reid to SS.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
IMO, Trent will wait for the FA market to get picked over and then see who is left. Then make a very low offer. I'd like us to make an offer to CB Nolan Carroll of Miami - 6'1" 205.

I see Whitner getting some big bucks w/another team.

I think we'll draft a S within the first 2 rounds and maybe a sleeper in the later rounds like Jason Hendricks from Pittsbugh.

Agree. That's exactly how he's done things since he took over as GM.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Mar 9, 2014 at 4:09 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Supposedly Allen was a guy Baalke coveted in 2010. NFL films was in our draft war room, and Baalke was visibly upset the moment Allen was taken. We settled for Taylor Mays. Maybe Baalke takes a flier on him, and shifts Reid to SS.

Allen already is a strong safety. He's 6'1", 210, no need to move anyone around.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Hello, I'm reality, have we met? If Whitner is too expensive for the 49ers to sign, then Ward and Byrd also aren't happening.

If Whitner walks and the 49ers decide to look around the free agent market, I think guys like Hussein Abdullah of the Chiefs, Kendrick Lewis of the Chiefs, Nate Allen of the Eagles would be more likely FA targets.

Maybe the front office is taking a risk and is trying to reel in the big fishes before settling for whitner. Kind of like when we tried to get Manning before re-signing smith.

lol when have we ever REALLY TRIED to get a big name FA?

Allen already is a strong safety. He's 6'1", 210, no need to move anyone around.

Even better. I always thought Allen was a center-fielder type. The safeties are interchangeable in our scheme anyhow.
Jets will (over)pay him a lot more than we will, probably $7-8 mil.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
We should just get Husain Abdullah and Trade up to get Pryor in the draft
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'd love to get Allen, but he's going to get a nice pay check.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Mar 9, 2014 at 4:51 PM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:

Maybe, but he'll come far less than Whitner. I think he's flying under the radar a bit. All the talk is around Whitner, Byrd, Ward, Jenkins, Delmas, Bethea, Mitchell...not a lot of hype around Allen. The market might be quite for him.

• mayo49
  • Veteran

Maybe, but he'll come far less than Whitner. I think he's flying under the radar a bit. All the talk is around Whitner, Byrd, Ward, Jenkins, Delmas, Bethea, Mitchell...not a lot of hype around Allen. The market might be quite for him.

Don't forget, Cromartie. I agree though, he'll come cheaper than Whitner.

I don't see him getting more than Whitner is earning right now. The thing that I like is that he's younger than Whitner, this past season really saw some improvements in his performance and if the 49ers could get him on an affordable 2 or 3 years deal, meaning if he performed well then he'd be lining up for one more big contract before he turned 30...........then you've got time to develop a young safety behind him.
Whitner is probably the most replaceable FA starter we have right now. I can easily see a rookie safety stepping in or a mid level free agent taking over. Whitner hits but lacks in coverage and really is a step slow filling on run plays. I'd love to get a guy who can cover somewhat.
Allen would be a really good addition. I would also wonder if the 49ers might actually consider jumping up in the draft to grab one of its top two safeties like it did last year with Reid? Seems to me with all the supposed depth of the WR talent in this years draft that moving up for a safety and grabbing a speed guy later might be another idea.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Mar 9, 2014 at 5:54 PM ]
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Allen would be a really good addition. I would also wonder if the 49ers might actually consider jumping up in the draft to grab one of its top two safeties like it did last year with Reid? Seems to me with all the supposed depth of the WR talent in this years draft that moving up for a safety and grabbing a speed guy later might be another idea.

Hopefully Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
Share 49ersWebzone