There are 273 users in the forums

Donte Whitner aka Hitner

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Wow. I mean, nothing is definite yet but from all the tweets, it seems like he's a goner.

Seems that way. Like you said, nothing is definite. I can't imagine we shut the door on negotiations before FA has even started.

Whitner's stock is a lot higher now than it was 3 years ago when he left the Bills. He is going to expect a pay raise. It depends on what kind of interest he gets on the open market. I'm sure we'll put in an offer to him, but won't be overly aggressive in trying to keep him. If he finds a lot more money elsewhere, he's gone.
Whitner is bald I wonder what his barber was cutting lol
[ Edited by ninerfan4life on Jan 25, 2014 at 9:04 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Whitner's stock is a lot higher now than it was 3 years ago when he left the Bills. He is going to expect a pay raise. It depends on what kind of interest he gets on the open market. I'm sure we'll put in an offer to him, but won't be overly aggressive in trying to keep him. If he finds a lot more money elsewhere, he's gone.

Good point.
man i love hitner, but he just doesnt break down in coverage, he's a linear player and thats exactly the opposite direction the league is going.
I think Whitner is a solid player. I can make an argument that he is a Top 3-5 SS in the league. I challenge you to name 3-4 better strong safeties than him.

You can't. Whitner is in the same mold of a Kam Chancellor and will command similar $$! SS don't make or command as much as FS!
[ Edited by DaFaro49ers on Jan 25, 2014 at 10:36 PM ]
whitner is a stud, what did his tweet say? u guys dont think he'll be back?
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

@DonteWhitner: It's been a pleasure

Although shortly after he says:

@DonteWhitner: My last tweet has nothing to do with football...

(Not sure how much I believe that but...)

Then there's the IG post above from his barber thanking Whitner being a customer for the past few years in the bay. Kind of eerie the timing of the posts, it seems like he sees the writing on the wall expects to go into FA.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

@DonteWhitner: It's been a pleasure

Although shortly after he says:

@DonteWhitner: My last tweet has nothing to do with football...

(Not sure how much I believe that but...)

Then there's the IG post above from his barber thanking Whitner being a customer for the past few years in the bay. Kind of eerie the timing of the posts, it seems like he sees the writing on the wall expects to go into FA.

whitners barber could be speculating just like we all are
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Whitner is bald I wonder what his barber was cutting lol

I had the same thought lol
Weve got a BUNCH of players to pay, and Whitner is far down that list. Kap, Aldon, Crabtree, Boldin, etc.

I think Whitner, Goodwin, Brown, and Manningham are all toast.

With this Bowman injury, I think we re-up with Wilhoite and Skuta. Dixon, Dawson, and Osgood are probably the lesser UFA that get brought back.

Originally posted by Niners99:
Weve got a BUNCH of players to pay, and Whitner is far down that list. Kap, Aldon, Crabtree, Boldin, etc.

With this Bowman injury, I think we re-up with Wilhoite and Skuta. Dixon, Dawson, and Osgood are probably the lesser UFA that get brought back.

I think top two priorities in the offseason will be Boldin and Dawson re-signing. Baalke knows a lot of the success was because Dawson kept us in games when the offense typically sputters for a good 2 quarters.
Originally posted by Niners99:

Ideally, I'd love to see the FO work something out with Whitner. He's been excellent for the most part this year and he pairs up and communicates well with Reid.

With that being said, realistically, Whitner is coming off perhaps one of his best seasons in his career; as Sofa put it, his value is way higher now than it was when he came here from the Bills and he's going to want a well deserved raise in pay. Of course the 49ers will talk and negotiate with him but at the end of the day, I doubt we will be the highest bidder when we have the Big 3 (Aldon, Kap, Crab) and Boldin to talk to.

I'd also add Rogers to the 'toast' list if he's not willing to take at least a 50% pay cut.
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Jan 26, 2014 at 8:34 AM ]
Whitner just tweeted "I'm going going back back to the bay, R.I.P. Mac Dre."

Benign rap lyric or foreshadowing of a new deal?
Originally posted by KegBert:
Whitner just tweeted "I'm going going back back to the bay, R.I.P. Mac Dre."

Benign rap lyric or foreshadowing of a new deal?

yea baby I'm thinking all these guys are taking cheaper deals to keep the unity
Lets hope so.

I really havent looked at who could replace Hitner at the back there from either FA or draft. But I feel hes the best there is available at this time.

And Reid could go to a whole other level knowing Hitner is with him again.
Share 49ersWebzone