There are 203 users in the forums

Donte Whitner aka Hitner

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • sfout
  • Veteran
I honestly think Whitner gets the nod and a new contract offer of TB. It is just up to Whitner if he accepts it.

Wright is cheaper more versatile version of Brown and he is the same age. Rogers was already threaten with a release if he didn't restructure but than Cully tore up his knee and they had to keep him. So it is safe to say that they'll say the same thing and this time have the leverage of having Wright, who can play outside and slot, at much cheaper price.

We'll just draft 1 or 2 CBs at a couple hundred K a year over paying one or both of them several mill. Whitner is 28 and a team leader, I could see the team bring him back and cutting ties with Craig Dahl since Reid is simply incredible.
[ Edited by sfout on Dec 28, 2013 at 11:43 AM ]
Originally posted by sfout:
I honestly think Whitner gets the nod and a new contract offer of TB. It is just up to Whitner if he accepts it.

Wright is cheaper more versatile version of Brown and he is the same age. Rogers was already threaten with a release if he didn't restructure but than Cully tore up his knee and they had to keep him. So it is safe to say that they'll say the same thing and this time have the leverage of having Wright, who can play outside and slot, at much cheaper price.

We'll just draft 1 or 2 CBs at a couple hundred K a year over paying one or both of them several mill. Whitner is

I just think they should release Carlos Rogers. I don't like the idea of approaching the same guy twice asking him for a paycut. It's obvious the 49ers want to move in another direction if that happens. Release Rogers, save about 5 million or so in cap space, and go draft a corner in the first or second round.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by sfout:

We'll just draft 1 or 2 CBs at a couple hundred K a year over paying one or both of them several mill. Whitner is

I just think they should release Carlos Rogers. I don't like the idea of approaching the same guy twice asking him for a paycut. It's obvious the 49ers want to move in another direction if that happens. Release Rogers, save about 5 million or so in cap space, and go draft a corner in the first or second round.

I agree Rogers has become a bad tackler as of late NOT worth the contract imo and if we can use that money to pay Whitner I would like that
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I think they should as well, it is inevitable that Rogers gets the axe.

While it is true that Brock essentially got the extension over Brown it just makes more sense to shave Rogers excess salary, give Wright a moderate deal to fill his role and let Brown test the market.

If he finds a big payday then so be it, let him walk and draft a corner by round 3 and have him compete.
If we win a Super Bowl whitner and brown are going to get paid big money from another team
I hope we try to keep Whitner. It's not easy to replace his kind of veteran presence back there with Reid. You can't replace a TRUE, VETERAN presence with a rookie. That only comes with experience. Whitner is still just 28 and is worth keeping for the right price.

My preference for 2014 right now is..

Wright > Brown
Whitner > Rookie
Kilgore > Goodwin
Patton > Manningham
Originally posted by Snider8706:
If we win a Super Bowl whitner and brown are going to get paid big money from another team

Brown is Gone after the Brock signing but Whitner may be back as 49ers can use the franchise tag
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
DonteHitner @DonteWhitner

RT if you want me to retire as a #Niner!

816 RETWEETS 174 FAVORITES 11:51 AM - 24 Jan 2014
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I hope we try to keep Whitner. It's not easy to replace his kind of veteran presence back there with Reid. You can't replace a TRUE, VETERAN presence with a rookie. That only comes with experience. Whitner is still just 28 and is worth keeping for the right price.

My preference for 2014 right now is..

Wright > Brown
Whitner > Rookie
Kilgore > Goodwin
Patton > Manningham
OTC what's that based on? We haven't seen Wright do anything.
Originally posted by Jcool:
DonteHitner @DonteWhitner

RT if you want me to retire as a #Niner!

816 RETWEETS 174 FAVORITES 11:51 AM - 24 Jan 2014

Lol. I really would like this guy back. AB81 came up with a reasonable deal (5 million per year for the first two seasons). If Whitner is fine with that, then I think he rides with us until we get a ring bare minimum (hopefully we have 2). I do find it interesting that he wants to retire as a Niner. He has to know that's going to be very hard to do unless he's willing to give the 49ers a serious discount (basically making about what he made when he signed with us in 2011).

I love Whitner but remember what he saw when DaShon left. Goldson was just getting a reputation for illegal hits and it followed him all year in Tampa Bay. I feel like Whitner is in that same position now. Whitner has the reputation. Would hate to see flags, fines, suspensions for 31 in 2014.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by jbeale49:
I love Whitner but remember what he saw when DaShon left. Goldson was just getting a reputation for illegal hits and it followed him all year in Tampa Bay. I feel like Whitner is in that same position now. Whitner has the reputation. Would hate to see flags, fines, suspensions for 31 in 2014.

there's a big difference between Hitner and Goldson. Goldson's hits are illegal. Hitner's are not.
Originally posted by boast:

there's a big difference between Hitner and Goldson. Goldson's hits are illegal. Hitner's are not.

its true there is a difference between their hits. but on sundays its the same result. its not a better feeling because he later does not get fined.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by boast:

its true there is a difference between their hits. but on sundays its the same result. its not a better feeling because he later does not get fined.

hopefully the competition committee votes to make them reviewable.
I am baffled at the number of so-called personal fouls that did not result in a fine. We dealt with it all year long. I am sure other teams did too, but it seems to have killed us at key moments in games.

If the league is going to allow refs to dictate a team's momentum by flagging them erroneously, then they need to be able to review it. Nobody cares that the games will last a little longer.

The Commissioner wants to extend the season, but is worried about extending the length of games by a few minutes? Something is off.
[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Jan 24, 2014 at 2:59 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone