LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Donte Whitner aka Hitner

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Empire49:
The bold part is false. I agree with everything else.

Brown seems to be our most targeted CB. Sometimes he makes a good play, sometimes he allows catches, but QBs are NOT afraid to go his way.

As for Whitner, he is playing great. He was awful last year - huge liability in coverage. Not so this year. I was reading an article a while back about how well Reid is doing, not only during the play but pre-snap. Apparently Reid has been reading offenses well and making the calls that put the secondary in position to make plays. The article was specifically about Brock's pick-6, in which Reid signaled for Brock to jump the route based on what Reid saw pre-snap. Seems to me it was Goldson that put the secondary at a disadvantage with his inability to read offenses and make proper coverage calls.

In all humility, yeah you have a point there.

So why then are they throwing at Brown?

Is it because they know he is vulnerable?
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Originally posted by 49erWay:
Whitner is one badd assss strong safety. Dude is the general out there. And if you don't cover up with the ball he will knock your self out. Remember that goal line knock out he waged the other year?

He isn't getting beat, he is beating.

Love Donte Whitner as our strong safety. Reid has occupied the space out there and no one wants to go there. This is letting Whitner to dial in on hitting the snot out of people like his role is called for.

Goldson was our liability. I am loving watching Hitner finally be free to do his thing knowing his boys have his back for once.

Hitner is dominating everything within 10 yards. Rogers is dominating every teams best receiver. Brown is a place you don't want to throw. Brock is finally finding his rythm and looking a little like Deon Sanders, yeah I said it.

Nobody is looking forward to Reid or our man, Donte HITNER.

Donte is flat out intimidating other teams right now.

Love it !

Love Donte. I hope they keep him. Worth keeping for another 2 or 3 years, and help mentor a rookie SS.

Brown seems to be our most targeted CB. Sometimes he makes a good play, sometimes he allows catches, but QBs are NOT afraid to go his way.

As for Whitner, he is playing great. He was awful last year - huge liability in coverage. Not so this year. I was reading an article a while back about how well Reid is doing, not only during the play but pre-snap. Apparently Reid has been reading offenses well and making the calls that put the secondary in position to make plays. The article was specifically about Brock's pick-6, in which Reid signaled for Brock to jump the route based on what Reid saw pre-snap. Seems to me it was Goldson that put the secondary at a disadvantage with his inability to read offenses and make proper coverage calls.

He isn't playing as well as he was the last couple years. Brock and Rogers seem to be playing well. That being the case, QBs are probably seeing Brown as their best chance. They like to go deep down the sideline on him. Maybe it's the way he plays the ball. Seems like a lot of the time they test him, they're looking for a pass interference call. Or maybe they're seeing something with his technique on the film they study. Whatever the case, they don't hesitate to go at him. I just hate seeing him allow a couple drive-sustaining catches, then bat down one pass and act like he's been shutting his man down the whole time. It seems arrogant and borderline potato when he does that.

He isn't playing as well as he was the last couple years. Brock and Rogers seem to be playing well. That being the case, QBs are probably seeing Brown as their best chance. They like to go deep down the sideline on him. Maybe it's the way he plays the ball. Seems like a lot of the time they test him, they're looking for a pass interference call. Or maybe they're seeing something with his technique on the film they study. Whatever the case, they don't hesitate to go at him. I just hate seeing him allow a couple drive-sustaining catches, then bat down one pass and act like he's been shutting his man down the whole time. It seems arrogant and borderline potato when he does that.

I think that is plausible, but over reading it a bit. It might be something much simpler where Brown is usually matched up against the #1 guy. Maybe teams #1 guys are good at getting open, or maybe the opposing QB's trust their receiver to catch the ball, regardless who is covering them. Again, you might be right, but I think it is much simpler than that.
Brock was playing Andre Johnson and failing miserably so the Texans moved him over to Brown and had a lot more success. Teams are not stupid. Like if an offense makes it into the RZ and they have a guy like Boldin in the slot or a taller, more physical TE...guess who they are going to target? I personally don't like the technique of either Brown or Rogers but I feel they may be coached a certain way (i.e. only make a play on the ball once the WR's body language suggests it's arriving). I'd rather them play like how the Ravens or Hawks play us...in press, keep the WR in front of them and keep an eye on the QB the entire time; break on it if it's the wise thing to do. These guys are veterans. Rogers has played better this year as well but to be honest, I don't feel like our secondary has really been tested much save for the GB game. Maybe I'm off...
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 6, 2013 at 3:43 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Brock was playing Andre Johnson and failing miserably so the Texans moved him over to Brown and had a lot more success. Teams are not stupid. Like if an offense makes it into the RZ and they have a guy like Boldin in the slot or a taller, more physical TE...guess who they are going to target? I personally don't like the technique of either Brown or Rogers but I feel they may be coached a certain way (i.e. only make a play on the ball once the WR's body language suggests it's arriving). I'd rather them play like how the Ravens or Hawks play us...in press, keep the WR in front of them and keep an eye on the QB the entire time; break on it if it's the wise thing to do. These guys are veterans. Rogers has played better this year as well but to be honest, I don't feel like our secondary has really been tested much save for the GB game. Maybe I'm off...

Maybe this wk, we face teddy frickin ginn jr and the carolina panthers :)
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Whitner is one badd assss strong safety. Dude is the general out there. And if you don't cover up with the ball he will knock your self out. Remember that goal line knock out he waged the other year?

He isn't getting beat, he is beating.

Love Donte Whitner as our strong safety. Reid has occupied the space out there and no one wants to go there. This is letting Whitner to dial in on hitting the snot out of people like his role is called for.

Goldson was our liability. I am loving watching Hitner finally be free to do his thing knowing his boys have his back for once.

Hitner is dominating everything within 10 yards. Rogers is dominating every teams best receiver. Brown is a place you don't want to throw. Brock is finally finding his rythm and looking a little like Deon Sanders, yeah I said it.

Nobody is looking forward to Reid or our man, Donte HITNER.

Donte is flat out intimidating other teams right now.

Love it !

Love Donte. I hope they keep him. Worth keeping for another 2 or 3 years, and help mentor a rookie SS.

This^^
Id imagine id hurt if gotten hit by whitner!
Longest yard- he just s**t his pants
Lmao
Whitners a badass
We are lucky our teams full of em :)
Whitner is a frikin snot knocker!

If he lets up on you its because he cares about your kids!
Originally posted by Kronos2560:

I think that is plausible, but over reading it a bit. It might be something much simpler where Brown is usually matched up against the #1 guy. Maybe teams #1 guys are good at getting open, or maybe the opposing QB's trust their receiver to catch the ball, regardless who is covering them. Again, you might be right, but I think it is much simpler than that.

Brown is not usually matched up against any particular recievers, he matches up against whoever is on his side of the field. When QBs have thrown his way, most of the time it hasn't been to their #1 WR. And most NFL wide receivers are "good at getting open," it's up to a good CB to not allow it. Brown hasn't fit that description this year. Like somebody above said, Andre Johnson did nothing against Brock so they started lining him up on Brown's side. That wasn't a coincidence. As for the QBs trusting the receiver, I get that, but the trusted receiver is seemingly always matched up against Brown. I find that difficult to believe. They do like to test Brock as well, but he seems to come through for us more often than Brown in those situations. Every CB gets burned every now and then, but I feel like Brown has been the weakest CB of the three (Rogers, Brock, Brown) and QBs are simply not afraid to go at him. Rogers had the same problem last year.
[ Edited by Empire49 on Nov 7, 2013 at 8:40 PM ]
So now Terrell Brown sucks.

Sure.

Ya'll are running out of things to whine about.

Brown is freaking great. Just like the rest of the secondary.

• MuggD
  • Veteran
I thought he was changing his name. What happened with that?

Sure.

Here we go...

Who said he sucks? He isn't playing particularly well. Homerism won't change that.
Whitner is a frikin snot knocker!

If he lets up on you its because he cares about your kids!

Donte whitner is playing lights out this yr. Thankfully so we have a stretch of games coming up where we could use his fumble causing ability :) just continue doing what he has been doing all season long
Goniners

Sure.

Here we go...

Who said he sucks? He isn't playing particularly well. Homerism won't change that.

Kinda positive he is joking talking bout how we always have a player who has to get blasted, example whitner is playing lights out this yr, but wasnt this originally the whitner sucks thread. Lol mite be wrong on this tho
Hitner
Share 49ersWebzone