LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

Donte Whitner aka Hitner

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by verb1der:
We're not even halfway through the season yet, I just hope he doesn't end up jinxing himself trying to get all that attention.

He already whiffed on that Fitzgerald TD bcz he was looking for the big hitner instead of wrapping up the tackle.

He was channeling Goldson on that whiff. It was painful to watch!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
We're not even halfway through the season yet, I just hope he doesn't end up jinxing himself trying to get all that attention.

He already whiffed on that Fitzgerald TD bcz he was looking for the big hitner instead of wrapping up the tackle.

He was channeling Goldson on that whiff. It was painful to watch!

Lol, Whifner!
Lol, Whifner!

I have the copyright on this
Made a comment on another thread
And by the way it's Whiffner
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/06/whitner-hazing-not-an-issue-for-49ers/
Donte Whitner – Last year, 95.7 the Game's radio host and Raiders play-by-play voice Greg Papa joked that Whitner gave up a touchdown every week. Papa was almost right. Eight touchdowns were surrendered by the 49ers strong safety during the 2012 regular season and he allowed four more touchdown passes in the postseason. This season? None. Whitner spent the off-season trimming five pounds off his frame and became leaner. He's also become meaner, with his savage tackling and his recent petition to drop the "W" from his last name.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/11/06/10-biggest-surprises-in-the-first-half-of-the-49ers-season/#17578-6

You guys know I am critical of poor play but I wanted to give a shout out to Whitner who has played MUCH better this year...whether it's the uncertainty of his future with us, his higher contract towards our CAP next year, Reid, scheme, etc. the bottom line is, he's playing much better. I believe through 8 games, he's only given up 2-3 TD's thus far which is a marked improvement over last year and esp. in the playoffs.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Donte Whitner – Last year, 95.7 the Game's radio host and Raiders play-by-play voice Greg Papa joked that Whitner gave up a touchdown every week. Papa was almost right. Eight touchdowns were surrendered by the 49ers strong safety during the 2012 regular season and he allowed four more touchdown passes in the postseason. This season? None. Whitner spent the off-season trimming five pounds off his frame and became leaner. He's also become meaner, with his savage tackling and his recent petition to drop the "W" from his last name.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/11/06/10-biggest-surprises-in-the-first-half-of-the-49ers-season/#17578-6

You guys know I am critical of poor play but I wanted to give a shout out to Whitner who has played MUCH better this year...whether it's the uncertainty of his future with us, his higher contract towards our CAP next year, Reid, scheme, etc. the bottom line is, he's playing much better. I believe through 8 games, he's only given up 2-3 TD's thus far which is a marked improvement over last year and esp. in the playoffs.

This. I'm a big fan of Whitner. Always have been. Hearing people complain about our safety situation is laughable. We have had two good safeties in the secondary for a few seasons now and a lot of teams are struggling to find one. GO NINERS!
Originally posted by NinerG94:
This. I'm a big fan of Whitner. Always have been. Hearing people complain about our safety situation is laughable. We have had two good safeties in the secondary for a few seasons now and a lot of teams are struggling to find one. GO NINERS!

I don't think anyone has complained this year - still very concerned with Whitner in coverage in the RZ and lined up against the bigger, taller slot WR's and TE's naturally but so far, we haven't been attacked there much this year and Whitner/Reid have played very well outside the RZ!

Next year, we may still look to find another Reid back there in the draft b/c of how much we play a 4-2-5 (passing league) but so far, this year, if he continues to play well in deep zone and up at the LOS in the box and Reid roams the coverage, Whitner may force a tough call with the FO this off season!
I don't think anyone has complained this year - still very concerned with Whitner in coverage in the RZ and lined up against the bigger, taller slot WR's and TE's naturally but so far, we haven't been attacked there much this year and Whitner/Reid have played very well outside the RZ!

Next year, we may still look to find another Reid back there in the draft b/c of how much we play a 4-2-5 (passing league) but so far, this year, if he continues to play well in deep zone and up at the LOS in the box and Reid roams the coverage, Whitner may force a tough call with the FO this off season!

Go back a few pages and re read. Plenty of complaining going on in this thread. The words liability and coverage being used in the same sentence more times than I care to count. I agree with you that 49ers will be looking to find his replacement. He's not getting any younger but I still think his entire game and leadership is vastly under rated on this site. You are under rated as well NC!
Originally posted by NinerG94:

Go back a few pages and re read. Plenty of complaining going on in this thread. The words liability and coverage being used in the same sentence more times than I care to count. I agree with you that 49ers will be looking to find his replacement. He's not getting any younger but I still think his entire game and leadership is vastly under rated on this site. You are under rated as well NC!

LMAO! Thanks bud - made my day!

I concur on the liability issue but mostly inside the RZ...but I put more of that on Fangio. Who repeatedly putting his 5'10" CB on guys like Boldin (slot) and every taller, more physical TE in the NFL knowing he gets beat every time? Was Goldson THAT bad of a matchup (e.g. Fangio figured he might blow the simple assignment)? S's in the 3-4 are interchangeable. I guess we'll never know...oh well.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Whitner certainly has much better chemistry with Reid than he did with Goldson.

It makes me conclude that Goldson was more of the freelancing free safety that went for the picks and big hits vs. staying true to his assignment.

Reid is much more disciplined and stays true to his assignments.

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by GEEK:
Whitner certainly has much better chemistry with Reid than he did with Goldson.

It makes me conclude that Goldson was more of the freelancing free safety that went for the picks and big hits vs. staying true to his assignment.

Reid is much more disciplined and stays true to his assignments.

definitely. Goldson took a lot of risks. Guys like that are fun as hell to watch, but ultimately bad for the team scheme.
Whitner is one badd assss strong safety. Dude is the general out there. And if you don't cover up with the ball he will knock your self out. Remember that goal line knock out he waged the other year?

He isn't getting beat, he is beating.

Love Donte Whitner as our strong safety. Reid has occupied the space out there and no one wants to go there. This is letting Whitner to dial in on hitting the snot out of people like his role is called for.

Goldson was our liability. I am loving watching Hitner finally be free to do his thing knowing his boys have his back for once.

Hitner is dominating everything within 10 yards. Rogers is dominating every teams best receiver. Brown is a place you don't want to throw. Brock is finally finding his rythm and looking a little like Deon Sanders, yeah I said it.

Nobody is looking forward to Reid or our man, Donte HITNER.

Donte is flat out intimidating other teams right now.

Love it !
[ Edited by 49erWay on Nov 6, 2013 at 10:42 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erWay:
Whitner is one badd assss strong safety. Dude is the general out there. And if you don't cover up with the ball he will knock your self out. Remember that goal line knock out he waged the other year?

Love Donte Whitner as our strong safety. Reid has occupied the space out there and no one wants to go there. This is letting Whitner to dial in on hitting the snot out of people like his role is called for.

Goldson was our liability. I am loving watching Hitner finally be free to do his thing knowing his boys have his back for once.

Hitner is dominating everything within 10 yards. Rogers is dominating every teams best receiver. Brown is a place you don't want to throw. Brock is finally finding his rythm and looking a little like Deon Sanders, yeah I said it.

Love it !

Yes! I agree!

Love it !

Love it !

The bold part is false. I agree with everything else.

Brown seems to be our most targeted CB. Sometimes he makes a good play, sometimes he allows catches, but QBs are NOT afraid to go his way.

As for Whitner, he is playing great. He was awful last year - huge liability in coverage. Not so this year. I was reading an article a while back about how well Reid is doing, not only during the play but pre-snap. Apparently Reid has been reading offenses well and making the calls that put the secondary in position to make plays. The article was specifically about Brock's pick-6, in which Reid signaled for Brock to jump the route based on what Reid saw pre-snap. Seems to me it was Goldson that put the secondary at a disadvantage with his inability to read offenses and make proper coverage calls.
[ Edited by Empire49 on Nov 6, 2013 at 11:38 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone