LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 279 users in the forums

Donte Whitner aka Hitner

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NinerG94:
At the very least change the title so its doesn't sound so disrespectful.

Agreed, the title should be change, no doubt. Should just be a general discussion on him...

The original post happened pre-draft and assumed a replacement would be drafted. His contract is up at the end of the year and we have seen Baalke's method to handle these situations is to sign the guy early at a discount or go into FAcy/draft for a replacement. This may be Whitner's chance for a big payday...wouldn't blame him if he took the money and left.

Agreed.

Me either...and keep in mind, Reid is already calling the plays back there and ensuring proper alignments. IF we go a rookie FS/SS there next year, Reid will already be ready to help that youngster along given his football-IQ, drive and experience in our defense.
Agreed.

Me either...and keep in mind, Reid is already calling the plays back there and ensuring proper alignments. IF we go a rookie FS/SS there next year, Reid will already be ready to help that youngster along given his football-IQ, drive and experience in our defense.

How is that possible! Just amazing to me that Reid can be that precocious and that the niners were able to see that and get him. Wow! Just great scouting and draft savvy/evaluation.
At some point Hitner will be replaced but until that time I have a ton of respect for him. I am going to enjoy the moment and not obsess over replacing him.

He's a hellofa 49er.
Originally posted by 49erWay:
At some point Hitner will be replaced but until that time I have a ton of respect for him. I am going to enjoy the moment and not obsess over replacing him.

He's a hellofa 49er.

I respect him as well. It is interesting that he has performed much better with Reid than Goldson. Makes me wonder if Whitner was left holding the bag more often due to Goldson's miscues.
Solid professional but my concern is he's always around the ball....after it has been completed. If a team only needs to win one game vs us, just one game, they know exactly where to throw that ball. Whitner can't even cover the slowest target out there.
Originally posted by 60sFan:
I respect him as well. It is interesting that he has performed much better with Reid than Goldson. Makes me wonder if Whitner was left holding the bag more often due to Goldson's miscues.

Goldson has always been more of a SS always wanting to jump routes and go downhill, which basically made them interchangeable within the system. With Reid they are just letting him play close to the line the majority of time while Reid plays center field allowing Whitner to do what he excels at... diagnosing and tackling rather than coverage.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by 60sFan:

Goldson has always been more of a SS always wanting to jump routes and go downhill, which basically made them interchangeable within the system. With Reid they are just letting him play close to the line the majority of time while Reid plays center field allowing Whitner to do what he excels at... diagnosing and tackling rather than coverage.

This is very very true. In the 3-4 your S's are interchangeable but a personal testament to how the coaching staff felt about Goldson's coverage abilities were highllighted in the RZ (where it counts) when it was Whitner who was constantly asked to cover the Graham's, Gronk's and Boldin's of the NFL. Like NE playing CB Talib on Graham, who, physically, wouldn't rather have Goldson matched up on these guys in the RZ over a 5'10" (maybe) Whitner who can't jump and has poor coverage skills? THAT is how bad Goldson was perceived in coverage and the real reason we didn't offer him more than 5 years, 25M. I am not surprised at all that Hitner is looking better this year thus far and the RZ TD's are down...Reid is special and he'd make ME look good back there (not to take anything away from Hitner)...Reid is just THAT good, even at this junction!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Agreed.

How is that possible! Just amazing to me that Reid can be that precocious and that the niners were able to see that and get him. Wow! Just great scouting and draft savvy/evaluation.

Pretty amazing isn't it! Did you see Hitner haul ASS down to pick his boy Reid up after his INT? Hitner know's where his $ is at and is happy as hell for Reid. That's his boy he's helped train back there!

"Sorry for that missed tackle that led to that long Fitzgerald TD!" Whitner wrote on his verified Twitter account. "Won't happen again."

No worries bro...that was just a bang-bang play and Larry is the best in the biz!
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 15, 2013 at 4:03 PM ]
DonteHitner ‏@DonteWhitner2mGet your #LegalHitner shirts here.... http://shop.anotherenemy.com/collections/legal-hitner ;…

Am I the only one not feeling this whole "hitner" hype? Dude is feelin himself way too much, does he really expect people to buy this s**t?
Originally posted by verb1der:
DonteHitner ‏@DonteWhitner2mGet your #LegalHitner shirts here.... http://shop.anotherenemy.com/collections/legal-hitner ;…

Am I the only one not feeling this whole "hitner" hype? Dude is feelin himself way too much, does he really expect people to buy this s**t?

I feel like he is trying to be as "visable" as possible in his contract year (esp.); it started last year as he was very vocal in the press. I'd rather he shut the trap and work on better coverage esp. in the EZ.

He is having a great year so far!
Pretty amazing isn't it! Did you see Hitner haul ASS down to pick his boy Reid up after his INT? Hitner know's where his $ is at and is happy as hell for Reid. That's his boy he's helped train back there!

"Sorry for that missed tackle that led to that long Fitzgerald TD!" Whitner wrote on his verified Twitter account. "Won't happen again."

No worries bro...that was just a bang-bang play and Larry is the best in the biz!

He is so mature he is becoming a leader as a rookie...far cry from some of our recent picks...though I have no complaints this year. Compared to Jenkins...

I feel like he is trying to be as "visable" as possible in his contract year (esp.); it started last year as he was very vocal in the press. I'd rather he shut the trap and work on better coverage esp. in the EZ.

He's having a great year, but it doesn't change the fact that those shirts are lame. lol
Obviously with Reid doing so poorly, Whitner is a horrible player and mentor.

Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:

He's having a great year, but it doesn't change the fact that those shirts are lame. lol

We're not even halfway through the season yet, I just hope he doesn't end up jinxing himself trying to get all that attention.

He already whiffed on that Fitzgerald TD bcz he was looking for the big hitner instead of wrapping up the tackle.
Share 49ersWebzone