LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Donte Whitner aka Hitner

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Lets hear those options. Who could we get thats playing at a pro bowl level for less $$$$.

Like I said before, Whitner wasn't playing close to best in the NFC IMO.. But yeah, Mikell and Pollard would be pro bowlers in our defense.. Already mentioned atleast 5 players previously.. An early round rookie could come in and play to Whitner's level with this defense around him IMO
lol we already lost Goldson, now you want to cut Whitner? Who exactly do you plan on replacing them with? 100 year old Charles Woodson? The f/a market isnt exactly crawling with starting safeties.

It would leave a hole, and we probably couldnt do better. Thus, cutting Whitner is a terrible idea.
Oh... I thought pro bowls where there to recognize the best players at a given position for the year.

So, why again did these cheeper options not make the pro bowl?

First of all, you need to get off Whitner's nuts.. Second of all, pro bowlers are voted by the fans who have seen him on highlights.. Thirdly, he was surrounded by the best defense in the league.. When he wasn't (Smith was hurt), it was pretty clear he was the weak link
  • jrg
  • Veteran
We should just replace all our Pro Bowl caliber players

Just cut all of them
Originally posted by ziggy_gonna_rock:
Cutting him Would not save $$$. On the contrary, it would become dead money and paying for him to be making it rain .

cutting him would give us 4.1 mil in cap relief, and $833,334 in dead money for next season. So it is a feasable move, if we have someone to replace him.
Originally posted by Niners99:
lol we already lost Goldson, now you want to cut Whitner? Who exactly do you plan on replacing them with? 100 year old Charles Woodson? The f/a market isnt exactly crawling with starting safeties.

It would leave a hole, and we probably couldnt do better. Thus, cutting Whitner is a terrible idea.

LIST of Replacements (Last Time):
Pollard
Mikell
Rhodes
Huff
Trent Robinson
Matt Elam
John Cyprien
Shawn Williams
JJ Wilcox
Earl Wolff
Duke Williams
Tj Mcdonald
DJ Swearinger
Tony Jefferson

Every single one of these players would be a lateral/cheaper move, or an upgrade
  • lazy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cooper22:
Oh... I thought pro bowls where there to recognize the best players at a given position for the year.

So, why again did these cheeper options not make the pro bowl?

First of all, you need to get off Whitner's nuts.. Second of all, pro bowlers are voted by the fans who have seen him on highlights.. Thirdly, he was surrounded by the best defense in the league.. When he wasn't (Smith was hurt), it was pretty clear he was the weak link
1/3 of the votes go to fans.....the rest of the votes go to the players and coaches.
Now isn't the time to cut him. But this should be his last year with the team. He's a liability, and teams will continue to attack him.
Originally posted by jrg:
We should just replace all our Pro Bowl caliber players

Just cut all of them

The majority of starting safeties in the league would be pro bowl caliber if they played in our defense
Originally posted by lazy:
1/3 of the votes go to fans.....the rest of the votes go to the players and coaches.

But still. Why was Whitner never a pro bowler on the Bills?.. He wasn't surrounded by this defense

Originally posted by NinerG94:
And start who? Seriously, I have to question the sanity of some the posters in here. Our secondary was the weak link on defense last season and everyone is so ready to cut everyone just to increase our cap number. Its not your money so I don't understand why more fans are so in love with players salaries and their cap numbers. We as fans should be more concerned about upgrading the position not saving money. I want to know how cutting Whitner after having to let Goldson walk is going to help our secondary. Goldson was out of our control. There was no way we could bring him back at market value. Cutting Whitner however makes no sense at all.

I believe he was implying that Whitner is a liability and not worth the money he is making. I tend to agree. The answers to all of your questions were in the original post. Who will replace him? A cheaper player from free agency or the draft. Why get rid of him? Because he isn't good. How is it going to help? As stated, Whitner is a liability in pass coverage, so it'll help by replacing him with a guy who has decent coverage skills. Why are people fascinated with players' salaries? Because it directly affects who we can bring in as free agents and how much we have to give our own guys in extensions.
Yes lets cut Whitner and gamble on a drafted safety who has never tried to tackle or cover an nfl wide receiver rb or te and see how well he does compared to whitner....
Originally posted by Cooper22:
But still. Why was Whitner never a pro bowler on the Bills?.. He wasn't surrounded by this defense

Yeah and that could never be said about anyone else on this defense....
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Yes lets cut Whitner and gamble on a drafted safety who has never tried to tackle or cover an nfl wide receiver rb or te and see how well he does compared to whitner....

Couldn't do much worse than Whitner
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Yeah and that could never be said about anyone else on this defense....

name one.. Everyone on our defense last year was drafted by us besides Whitner, Rogers, J Smith, and Brooks.. Smith was a stud in Cinci and Brooks didn't even play before he came here
Share 49ersWebzone