There are 250 users in the forums

Donte Whitner aka Hitner

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I admit I have a soft spot for Whitner as well. On another team with lesser All-Pro's on defense, he'd probably be the star. He can easily go elsewhere this offseason and make some pretty good money. However, I'm hoping we can somehow resign him and he can continue to provide leadership in the secondary as well as mentoring Eric Reid and whatever safety we end up drafting next season.

Or he would be exposed. I think he is perfect for this team this year. Mentoring Reid, tough on running, and OK on coverage, but not his strength. Reid covers so much ground that Whitner is less exposed and can play closer to the line where he really excels. His intelligence is the key to his value. They need to try and groom a young guy to take his place though.
With the way the rules are now, it would be best to have another cover safety that can tackle well.
A good SS just isn't allowed to make the hit anymore.
Originally posted by xela510:
Whitner has been one of the few players to improve from last season imo.

This! He has actually been a brighter candle lit on the defense this year.
I think the reason Whitner was struggling before is cause Goldson wasn't a very good cover safety basically they had 2 hitters at safety with him and Goldson now that he has Reid who so far has shown he can cover and hit it's making Whitner a better player.
I thought the Rams game was Whitner's best of the season.
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Originally posted by xela510:
Whitner has been one of the few players to improve from last season imo.

This! He has actually been a brighter candle lit on the defense this year.

Agree! The tip to a receiver sent me up the wall but he made up for it!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I admit I have a soft spot for Whitner as well. On another team with lesser All-Pro's on defense, he'd probably be the star. He can easily go elsewhere this offseason and make some pretty good money. However, I'm hoping we can somehow resign him and he can continue to provide leadership in the secondary as well as mentoring Eric Reid and whatever safety we end up drafting next season.

Or he would be exposed. I think he is perfect for this team this year. Mentoring Reid, tough on running, and OK on coverage, but not his strength. Reid covers so much ground that Whitner is less exposed and can play closer to the line where he really excels. His intelligence is the key to his value. They need to try and groom a young guy to take his place though.

If someone is game planning against our defense, the secondary is the weakness. If you elect to not go after Whitner, who are you going after back there? You have to run a play and unfortunately because of the level of our D, he is going to look like one of the weak links. Put him on a team with an average defense as I said, and he'd be a star.
If someone is game planning against our defense, the secondary is the weakness. If you elect to not go after Whitner, who are you going after back there? You have to run a play and unfortunately because of the level of our D, he is going to look like one of the weak links. Put him on a team with an average defense as I said, and he'd be a star.

Could be wrong but I'd probably go after the rookie first and then the weakest CB. Difficult to attack a [edit-strong] safety on this team with two middle LBs who can cover the middle. Not trying to attack Whitner but he is decent at best in coverage. Love his leadership though.

Edit: on second thought, not sure what I would attack...can't run on this team so I'd try to get single coverage for my receivers by doing clever things...sort of what I had hoped the niners would do this year. I would attack Whitner deep and try to pick or brush others. But the point I'm making is Whitner is not like the worst DB in the NFL...far from it.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 1, 2013 at 7:13 AM ]
Whitner's a beast, he plays tough and he lays it all on the line for his teamates every game. he may get beat sometimes but everyone does. ive seen him save a few touchdowns on his own already this year
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I thought the Rams game was Whitner's best of the season.

This. I was at the game and I'm not sure if it showed as much on TV but Whitner was all over the field. He looked like he was playing fast AND bringing the wood as usual. He doesn't get near the respect he deserves on this site IMO. He may not be elite in coverage but he's an all around player and a very good one at that. He was killing the Rams.

TWHITNER ‏@DonteWhitner1m
Well tweeps they fined me 21k for that hit....
Originally posted by crabman82:

Goodall is insane. I am surprised Harrison or Goldson don't slap this ***ch. 21k for text book hitting, guy has been taught that his whole life and now at 28 he is being told by people who have never played the game that he is wrong? Weird
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Originally posted by crabman82:

Goodall is insane. I am surprised Harrison or Goldson don't slap this ***ch. 21k for text book hitting, guy has been taught that his whole life and now at 28 he is being told by people who have never played the game that he is wrong? Weird

Wow, I understand the shoulder to the helmet thing BUT you have to also recognize what the receiver does...if he lowers his head INTO what would have been a clean, legal hit, that is unfair. This needs to be a two-way street IMHO.

Next time, Whitner, be in better position to knock down the pass or INT it. Then you don't have to worry about "hits."
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for ninerjok.
Goldson left the team so Whitner is now Goodell's new whipping-boy from the Niners. He still has it out for Goldson but he had to target a different 49er to go after, stupid f**ker.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Goldson left the team so Whitner is now Goodell's new whipping-boy from the Niners. He still has it out for Goldson but he had to target a different 49er to go after, stupid f**ker.

f**kin hate goodell. Whitner is supposed to let him catch a TD in that situation and THAT is horrible for this game.
Share 49ersWebzone