There are 236 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Donte Whitner aka Hitner

Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I'll say one thing Whitner is playing better than he did last year but I still think we move on and take a SS early in the next draft. So far it's worked with Reid no need to pay all that money to Whitner. Will be nice to get younger. I think we would have done it this year but didn't want 2 rookie safeties back there. We had Whitner mentor Reid and now Reid will have 1 year under his belt and can teach the new guy. Whitner was pretty good in 2011, 2012 he dropped off big time, 2013 I like I said he is somewhere in between. I think we go with a SS in the 1st or 2nd round of the next draft. If we get KC's 2nd I could see 1.CB 2.SS 2.WR

A few thoughts on SS spot, I like LSU's Craig Loston a lot. Also Baylor's Ahmad Dixon, and Washington State's Deone Buchannon. 3 solid prospects. The top SS IMO is Stanford's Jordan Richards. I think e is similar height size as Whitner. Loston is around 6'1-6'2.

I'd like a guy who can tackle and play the run but I'd like someone not as thick as Whitner and taller. 2011 Whitner played great but I think he has lost some of his speed since then. He also is a really thick guy so naturally he will be a better run defender than coverage guy. I always wanted the guy to drop 5-10 pounds in hopes he'd get quicker and better in coverage. He can play the run well and still could 5-10 pounds lighter. Back to a prospect I'd like someone a few inches taller than Whitner who is a little small at 5'10". Again, need some who can play the run but more importantly cover well since teams pass more and more these days. It's almost to the point where you want to FS type players back there.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 27, 2013 at 1:03 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
Nnamdi is the new Culliver who was the new Nate Clements.......All part of the move a CB to Safety movement (probably because it works in madden)

It works in reality too. Charles Woodson, Aneas Williams, Antrel Rolle, Ronnie Lott, Dashon Goldson, Merton Hanks, Eugene Wilson, Rod Woodson, Ty Law, Will Allen, Michael Huff, Devin McCourty and many others of whom I can't think moved from CB to safety. It's not like moving from CB to QB.

Sep 27, 2013 at 1:10 AM

VPofCarnage: 153Originally posted by NinerFan408: Nnamdi is the new Culliver who was the new Nate Clements.......All part of the move a CB to Safety movement (probably because it works in madden) It works in reality too. Charles Woodson, Aneas Williams, Antrel Rolle, Ronnie Lott, Dashon Goldson, Merton Hanks, Eugene Wilson, Rod Woodson, Ty Law, Will Allen, Michael Huff, Devin McCourty and many others of whom I can't think moved from CB to safety. It's not like moving from CB to QB.

Good call! I remember when they moved Lott and man did he ever impress!
Yeah, gotta give credit where credit is due! To be objective, he was late over-the-top on the INT (perpetual coverage issue with us for years - welcome Reid!). If Brock doesn't tip that to him, it's a TD. Also, I don't blame him for the flag in the EZ (again). But that is a penalty b/c of the blow to the head. Teams look for Whitner every time in the RZ. There isn't much you can do when you lead with your shoulder BUT the WR drops his head. Poeple do ask what's he supposed to do? Simple. Have much tighter coverage and knock the ball down or get an INT...or have tighter coverage enough that the QB doesn't throw your direction. The dropped pick was pretty sad. Only had 3 tackles for the game. With the Rams not throwing any balls over 10 yards, it was a pretty easy day for both S's. Reid wasvery quiet as well. Either way, that INT changed the tempo of the game!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yeah, gotta give credit where credit is due! To be objective, he was late over-the-top on the INT (perpetual coverage issue with us for years - welcome Reid!). If Brock doesn't tip that to him, it's a TD. Also, I don't blame him for the flag in the EZ (again). But that is a penalty b/c of the blow to the head. Teams look for Whitner every time in the RZ. There isn't much you can do when you lead with your shoulder BUT the WR drops his head. Poeple do ask what's he supposed to do? Simple. Have much tighter coverage and knock the ball down or get an INT...or have tighter coverage enough that the QB doesn't throw your direction. The dropped pick was pretty sad. Only had 3 tackles for the game. With the Rams not throwing any balls over 10 yards, it was a pretty easy day for both S's. Reid wasvery quiet as well. Either way, that INT changed the tempo of the game!

Yeah, with the dropped pick, penalty, plus Rams' receivers having their way early, Whitner didn't have the best game. However, Whitner's pick could end up being the spark that helped get the 49er train back on track. It picked up the entire team and turned that game (season???) around. Brock also deserves a lot of credit, because he had good position and he TURNED HIS HEAD TO PLAY THE BALL...yeah I'm looking at you, T. Brown.
he cant catch the passes thrown right to him but he can catch a tipped diving int. go figure.
Yeah, worst hands/ball skills I've ever seen.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:

Yeah, with the dropped pick, penalty, plus Rams' receivers having their way early, Whitner didn't have the best game. However, Whitner's pick could end up being the spark that helped get the 49er train back on track. It picked up the entire team and turned that game (season???) around. Brock also deserves a lot of credit, because he had good position and he TURNED HIS HEAD TO PLAY THE BALL...yeah I'm looking at you, T. Brown.

Spot FREAKING on! Love it...seriously, can someone PLEASE teach our tiny, short CB's in Brown and Rogers how to turn around...or at least play behind the WR with an eye on the QB/ball and THEN make a break. I'm so tired of these easy catches on them blindly and constantly being BEHIND the WR. How does that even happen when you start 15 yards off the LOS?
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:

This must be your first season watching the Niners then, cause if you saw Delanie Walker last year you would never make that statement.
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:

If he had the skills like you want he would be a WR.
To you geniuses who don't know football talent dumping on Whitner and playing fantasy football.

Please go root for Seattle.
Originally posted by 49erWay:
To you geniuses who don't know football talent dumping on Whitner and playing fantasy football.

Please go root for Seattle.

Try arguing your point rather than spewing this blather.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:

Spot FREAKING on! Love it...seriously, can someone PLEASE teach our tiny, short CB's in Brown and Rogers how to turn around...or at least play behind the WR with an eye on the QB/ball and THEN make a break. I'm so tired of these easy catches on them blindly and constantly being BEHIND the WR. How does that even happen when you start 15 yards off the LOS?

It's very strange how this has been a recurring theme with 49ers DBs...and can't blame it all on Donatell because it's been an issue going back 10-15 years. But it was so clearly done by Brock on a big play, it's gotta be the kind of thing they highlight in film study and hopefully keep stressing over and over.
I like Whitner. I think we still probably let him walk after this year but I've got to admit I've got a soft spot for him