LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

Donte Whitner aka Hitner

Shop 49ers game tickets
Whitner has played really well so far, of course he is gonna get beat every now an again. Its the nature of football, but did you see all of the run support he was in on? He is one of the Hearts and soul of the D. Takes his job very seriously and plays with passion.Every player has a flaw, he is very good safety. Whitner stays!!
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by Ballistic:
as bad as Whitner is in coverage, Dahl was all over the place-- scratching his head/ lost as f*ck

Yea, but we are comparing sh*t with sh*t. LOL.

But Fangio had really high hopes for our 6th rounder in Trent Robinson (another small, short S). LOL

What's up with going for all these small guys when we are getting killed out there by the Legion Of Boom ?! Well, if Fangio is going small, the guy better be exceptional. I can handle an Earl Thomas type guy if I have to. If not, I am all for size, get bigger and more physical at all positions !!!
Originally posted by Rascal:
What's up with going for all these small guys when we are getting killed out there by the Legion Of Boom ?! Well, if Fangio is going small, the guy better be exceptional. I can handle an Earl Thomas type guy if I have to. If not, I am all for size, get bigger and more physical at all positions !!!

You got me...and it's not just size but a total lack of physicality:

Defense:
  • Rogers boxed out in the Superbowl on THE critical Boldin catch
  • Brown plays solid but also can get towered over at times and certainly, outmuscled
  • Whitner, so sad to watch him try to cover a TE or bigger WR in the EZ/RZ
  • Robinson, gone
  • Spillman, only used on ST
  • Culliver, most physical CB we had but is so diffrent from our style of play, he gets flagged for P.I. every time
  • Cox/Brock, at times can play physical but rarely are on the field
  • Nnamdi, most current physical CB we have and even HE gets called for critical P.I. plays and he can't tackle worth a #$%^&*(

Offense:
  • Hunter, plays much much bigger than he is, achilles tear
  • James, aka the "spin cycle part II"
  • Manningham, knee blown up in Seattle
  • Williams, ACL trying to block out a LB
  • Patton, rookie tossed to the ground like a rag doll
  • Baldwin, doesn't play, Lockette, cut
  • Ginn, was a cream puff
  • Boldin is a man but a man who needs help opposite him and needs to be moved around (ala the slot)
  • VD plays soft for his size
  • McDonald is a "man" we need
  • Celek, meh.
  • Miller is a man

Special Teams:
  • Kyle Williams gets blown over by the wind as does Cox and James falls every time his shoe touches a blade of grass
  • Coverage units? Not too many bruisers in this one either.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 17, 2013 at 9:14 AM ]
Whitner is really a*****e again that he seem afraid to tackle on Lynch got a TD! He was too late and slow to move that soft tackle on Lynch got TD.. I knew it.. I am sooo piss off!!! Whitner should release or bench!! Let Spillman can play instead of whitner!
Forget Whitner (or Whimpner as I like to call him). He blocked me on Instagram because I would troll him every now and then about his height, lack of coverage skills, and the fact that he hasn't had a hit worth anything since the Saints playoff game in 2011-2012 season. It wasn't aggressive and I made a point to tell him I was a fan who would like to see him stay on the team but he needs to step his play up. You can learn a lot about these guys by following them on Twitter/IG. If you can't take a fan asking you to step your game up lord knows the b***h fits he prob has when Jim gets on to him for blowing coverage or whiffing on hits.
Definitely a lack of quality cover guys in the secondary. I hope they replace Whitner and Rogers before next season. Dahl's not even that good on special teams.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Not sure what game you were watching but Whitner, again, was an automatic mismatch. He gave up the critical 50 yard bomb on 3rd down that got the ball rolling for Seattle. Sure, he made a nice hit after a 15 yard catch that put them in FG range, so? That said, I do agree that he ALWAYS plays his butt off...period...he is just very very limited in his skill set and with no Reid to cover him up, it was even more salient.

His salary is guaranteed?

Rats.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Replace whitner with whom, exactly? Some magical safety that fangio is hiding in the wings?

Maybe see if Nnamdi could play safety & make Cox the 3rd CB.
You guys are ridiculous. Whitner is a good safety for what we ask of him. Which is to creep the line of scrimmage and occasionally cover the TE (only has problems against taller guys). He is an indimidating presence and makes all the calls which cant be overlooked. He knows the D very well and can communicate well
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Replace whitner with whom, exactly? Some magical safety that fangio is hiding in the wings?

you do that stuff in the off season, not when you are in the nuts and bolts of your season, i know people are upset from sunday but there is no need to run around wanting a fire sale and to get rid of all of our players, hoping someone can switch over from another position and be effective

He's been good so far this year. Hasn't been getting eaten alive by tight ends. Teams are just attacking Nnamdi all day

Nnamdi is the new Culliver who was the new Nate Clements.......All part of the move a CB to Safety movement (probably because it works in madden)

[ Edited by NinerFan408 on Sep 18, 2013 at 7:16 AM ]

yeah why not.. Try to see if Nnamdi would play safety because he know how hidden to get an ints but he can't tackle that plm! I wanted Culliver the 3rd CB is best.. If Culliver is still an injured then Put Spillman can play the 3rd CB..
Originally posted by spizzy:
You guys are ridiculous. Whitner is a good safety for what we ask of him. Which is to creep the line of scrimmage and occasionally cover the TE (only has problems against taller guys). He is an indimidating presence and makes all the calls which cant be overlooked. He knows the D very well and can communicate well

Absolutely this.

They sound like the whiney asian kid on the bus who can't play sports and doesn't understand football but has a ton of criticism for the kids who do.
Share 49ersWebzone