There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Donte Whitner aka Hitner

Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Can be replaced yes, easily not so much. I know your not very high on whitner but he is pretty much a leader in our secondary and leadrship isnt as easy to replace as signing a free agent and cutting what many fans consider to be our weak link. I keep seeing your comments on the days of the classic style ss are limited but i tend to disagree until the days of running offenses have disappeared which will happen never. When we have a good coverage fs on the team there is always room for a ss who fits the profile for run support. When whitner is replaced i really dont expect it to be for two ballhawking free safeties, our defense fits the profile for a classic ss and since our defense has been our main success over the past few seasons i dont see us changing it to substantially any time soon.

Yeah, what Lone said.
Can be replaced yes, easily not so much. I know your not very high on whitner but he is pretty much a leader in our secondary and leadrship isnt as easy to replace as signing a free agent and cutting what many fans consider to be our weak link. I keep seeing your comments on the days of the classic style ss are limited but i tend to disagree until the days of running offenses have disappeared which will happen never. When we have a good coverage fs on the team there is always room for a ss who fits the profile for run support. When whitner is replaced i really dont expect it to be for two ballhawking free safeties, our defense fits the profile for a classic ss and since our defense has been our main success over the past few seasons i dont see us changing it to substantially any time soon.

While I do agree with a lot of what you said, I still think we need a more dynamic SS who isn't a liability in coverage.. This draft is full of safeties who can potentially fit that mold.. (most notably Matt Elam and John Cyprien.. And in my mock draft, I have us taking a later round prospect, Duke Williams, who I believe can fit the mold as well. I also have us taking the ball hawking FS, Phillip Thomas)
Originally posted by Cooper22:
While I do agree with a lot of what you said, I still think we need a more dynamic SS who isn't a liability in coverage.. This draft is full of safeties who can potentially fit that mold.. (most notably Matt Elam and John Cyprien.. And in my mock draft, I have us taking a later round prospect, Duke Williams, who I believe can fit the mold as well. I also have us taking the ball hawking FS, Phillip Thomas)

A more coverage savy ss would be good. I really doubt we use 2 high picks on saferies though.
what lonewolf said.
Originally posted by Cooper22:

You are only looking at one factor alone and that is coverage, there are two other aspects that many people are over looking run support and leadership, a rookie is going to have a curve, in leadership becaue he is not as familiar with NFL offenses and placing his teammates to lineup at the right place. There were times when Whitner chastised Dashon or others for being out of place where they should have been.

Its all good to say replace him with a rookie or even someone else-what if the person is like taylor mays or others, you can't tell until the player suits up and play. Even with Ronnie Lott, he played corner first then saftey. In his rookie year they made Dwight Hicks the leader even thought he was a cast off simply because he had more experience of at least being in camp.

Careful what you wish for, you may get it and find it worse.
what lone said.
I don't want to see Donte Whitner plays for us because he is still sux and idiot to plays!! ... I am so disappoined that Goldson sign to Bucs... Damn you at Goldson!!
[ Edited by BuZzB28 on Mar 20, 2013 at 9:34 PM ]
We ought to go easy on this post starter, he obviously had no idea what SS's main functions are and had no clue what dead money means. Cut him some slack, ok? We were all green horns once.
Emotionally speaking.... it's tough to speak positively about this guy; and it doesn't help that every time i see NFL Network highlights of someone taking the top off our D...it's usually the back of Whitner's jersey were watching.

Aside, from his weak coverage skills, his run support is one of the best and like having another linebacker out there.
Originally posted by SFVNiner:
Emotionally speaking.... it's tough to speak positively about this guy; and it doesn't help that every time i see NFL Network highlights of someone taking the top off our D...it's usually the back of Whitner's jersey were watching.

Aside, from his weak coverage skills, his run support is one of the best and like having another linebacker out there.

i think SS is less responsible for getting exposed on top. Goldson is the one with the speed, hes supposed to be the center fielder and the fact that they didnt get him signed long term the last 3 years shows the team wasnt sold on him. i heard they didnt even offer him a contract this time in one article. im fine with whitner coming back. hes a great leader and hes great against the run. if they get a true FS and another good CB theyll be set
Yea the dead money situation is stopping him from being cut. But dude is just a liability anyway we slice it. Teams will continue to go 3 wide and bet that he won't be able to cover the tight end. He's the reason why Willis and Bowman have to stay in coverage so much instead of being able to attack and blitz up the middle.
I don't think we need to replace Whitner. I just think we need to run a 3 safety system like we did in 2011 with Goldson and Reggie Smith, where Whitner wasn't allowed to be exposed in coverage as much while still displaying fantastic play against the run. I think Trenton Robinson could possibly fill that Reggie Smith role, while a 1st or 2nd round rookie FS could fill the Goldson role.

FA is unlikely...not a ton of cap space left. If you say draft...are you prepared to start a rookie at SS? Think about what you're advocating...look at the big picture. Whitner's in the last year of his contract...so is apt to play his best ball this season to prepare for FA in 2014.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
FA is unlikely...not a ton of cap space left. If you say draft...are you prepared to start a rookie at SS? Think about what you're advocating...look at the big picture. Whitner's in the last year of his contract...so is apt to play his best ball this season to prepare for FA in 2014.

This is an excellent point. That said, he's going to be worse...worse than giving up 14 TD's (most in the NFL)...TD's that cost us games including the SuperBowl (2). He steadily gave up TD's all year long too; had nothing to do with Justin Smith and the pass rush. In fact, it's always been a weakness of his esp. in the RZ/EZ.

If the coaches feel they can get a guy like Dahl who would give up less or a high-pick rookie SS, I can see them going this direction and putting the dot on Willis' helmet again. We also need to be aware of our cap numbers. Woodson? Rhodes? Nnamdi?

Ideally, we keep his leadership to groom a rookie by mid-season or at the latest, like you said, next year at a decent 4.1M salary. But we CAN'T be giving up that many TD's and expect to win the division esp. now that he (Rogers/Culliver), esp. have been exposed. Teams will go right at them like in the playoffs!

BTW: Anyone watch a lot of NFL Network/ESPN? I think they have literally shown every TD Whitner gave up last year. Seriously. Pisses me off...
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 21, 2013 at 4:28 PM ]
f**k Whitner, If we had a real Safety playing that night, we would have easily won the Super Bowl.