There are 161 users in the forums

what do yall think of the new proposed rule for running backs

Shop 49ers game tickets
I hate it because it asks the Refs to make another non-reviewable (I think) judgement call. Like roughing the passer, defenseless receiver, etc. Those calls are never consistent and a lot are wrong on replay. I understand what they're trying to get at, but I wonder how many players have been injured due to this. Is it really a big enough "safety issue" to warrant the change?

And isn't this 15yds from the LOS, not spot of the foul. So if Frank goes for 20 and lowers his head in the 21st yard, we lose not only the 15 penalty yds but the 20 yds gained before that? That seems more costly than the defenseless receiver call, which I think is more of a true player safety issue.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by kingairta:
If DBs have to keep their head up when laying a hit a ball carrier should have to as well.

Everyone cried that changing how DBs have to hit that it would change the game etc yet I've yet to see a degrade in the game.

How did you not see it? Every hit that would previously been lauded as incredible defense was instead flagged.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by Overkill:
I hate it because it asks the Refs to make another non-reviewable (I think) judgement call. Like roughing the passer, defenseless receiver, etc. Those calls are never consistent and a lot are wrong on replay. I understand what they're trying to get at, but I wonder how many players have been injured due to this. Is it really a big enough "safety issue" to warrant the change?

And isn't this 15yds from the LOS, not spot of the foul. So if Frank goes for 20 and lowers his head in the 21st yard, we lose not only the 15 penalty yds but the 20 yds gained before that? That seems more costly than the defenseless receiver call, which I think is more of a true player safety issue.

It won't be reviewable, I'm not sure about where the penalty takes place.
If DBs have to keep their head up when laying a hit a ball carrier should have to as well.

Everyone cried that changing how DBs have to hit that it would change the game etc yet I've yet to see a degrade in the game.

Huh? When many times per season over the past few years you've watched a game and seen a good, hard, CLEAN hit that was flagged as defenseless receiver, leading with the helmet, etc. that really wasn't, that is degradation of the game. Or when a D-Lineman's finger inadvertently grazes a QB's helmet, or a def player is already mid-air and then the QB slides late or runner steps out of bounds.

We're not talking the occasional outlier, it's a fairly frequent occurence. And now the NFL has taken something (ballcarriers covering up) many aren't convinced is a truly a problem, but instead is an over-reaction to media hysteria and lawsuits, and is just inviting more fuzzy interpretation by old guys working a PT job with calls that can't be reviwed. If that doesn't degrade the game then I'm not sure what does.

Sure, if they're only going to call truly blatant cases where a runner actually SPEARS the defender, then fine...but you've got to know it's not gonna go down like that. Game-speed, Gore is 8 yds downfield and lowers his shoulder, but oh, looks like maybe his facemask was more parallel to the ground instead of perpendicular...*FLAG*, 15-yds. I'm not optimistic.
The way it reads, they aren't allowing RB's to spear defenders if it's a 1-on-1 in the open field. Like the famous plays by Earl Campbell and Jay Novacek. It's not going to be a penalty if you are leading with your head/helmet trying to slice through a crease near the line of scrimmage.
Pussifying the game should = reduced salary

We're going to be paying big bucks in the future to essentially watch them play two hand touch
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Take off all the pads, and let them play tackle...with out pads! Guys won't lead with their heads, and will be much more careful tackling, it would give the offense a great advantage, protect the players, and increase scoring! Most of the pads are meant oddly enough to protect you from the pads!

it would make football more boring to watch. taking away big hits is like taking away fights in hockey and crashes in nascar...sport fans love violence, its the sad truth

I just hate all these lame rules!
Originally posted by YungAce:

We're going to be paying big bucks in the future to essentially watch them play two hand touch

It will eventually lead to it, as salary is based on revenue! I think this is some kind of conspiracy by pro Soccer, to ruin the NFL and some how infiltrate this county!
Originally posted by Janitor:

How did you not see it? Every hit that would previously been lauded as incredible defense was instead flagged.

Sure there were but did the game change as much as everyone said it would? No it didn't. What about all the crying about moving the ref from behind the defensive line to behind the offense? Everyone said it was a big mistake cause offense's would get penalized at a higher rate then ever. Did that happen? No it didn't. As for more leg injuries I don't know about you but I'd rather have ligiment damage then brain damage.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
How many players have been injured by a RB lowering his head as opposed to players tearing their ACL's??

Face it, injuries are apart of the game.

By 2015 the players will be required to play in bubble wrap.
Originally posted by Janitor:

Sure there were but did the game change as much as everyone said it would? No it didn't. What about all the crying about moving the ref from behind the defensive line to behind the offense? Everyone said it was a big mistake cause offense's would get penalized at a higher rate then ever. Did that happen? No it didn't. As for more leg injuries I don't know about you but I'd rather have ligiment damage then brain damage.

Goldson took out a Jets TE's knees last season by going low (i don't believe he was trying to injure) and the was cut the following week. injuries are injures, ligament or brain, it will prevent you from getting a paycheck and can shorten careers.

if the league really cared about safety, they should focus on all areas, not just brain injures, Goodell is just covering his butt by catering to othe hot button issue.
Fake and gay
Originally posted by YungAce:

Yeah the players are aware of the injury risks and they are being compensated a lot for these potential risks. I'm all for safety, but it is a physical sport and you can only do so much, otherwise it won't be Football anymore.
I, for one, like this rule. I could play in a National Flag Football League!

Share 49ersWebzone