There are 130 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

what do yall think of the new proposed rule for running backs

Originally posted by Mike8016:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
I'm actually shocked 24 coaches were in favor of this. Must be the ones whose running game sucks. Betcha both Harbaughs, Belicheat, even Carroll and maybe Frazier all opposed it. Maybe a couple more but thats it. The rest are no-sack wusses.

Coaches didn't vote for it. Only Owner who was against it was Mike Brown

Thanks for the correction I realize I was mistaken on that. Obviously coaches don't have much say on rule changes unless they're part of competition committee. There's no way 24 of them would be in favor of this rule.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
There will be more injuries to running backs if they have to run straight up through contact. They are more exposed. When you start taking instinct out of the game it becomes a different game. How many of these owners and GMs on the rules committee actually played football. To begin with it's an arbitrary call, it's not black and white. Seattle's Lynch must be losing sleep after this was passed.
Why do you think they will be running straight up? Is that how you played tackle football without pads? Rugby players don't play straight up.

There will be more injuries to running backs. I think he was saying that RBs would be running straight up, because they will not be able to get low enough anymore. The lower and more compact you get, the more likely you are to lead with your head. There will be more knee injuries.
this is stupid. slowly ruining the game

i think they need stop all this damn head injury s**t. everyone knows its part of the game but the media has a f**kin hard on for it.

its never a good thing when people have brain damage but damn they get paid the big bucks for a reason. its the old players whoo are coming back and suing the nfl that are ruining the game. nfl has to protect itself too..

what needs to be done is that new draftees need to sign a waiver that say the nfl is not responsible for any head or bodily injuries resulting from playing pro football. play at your own risk. if you dont wanna sign the waiver find another league to take your talents. simple
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
There will be more injuries to running backs if they have to run straight up through contact. They are more exposed. When you start taking instinct out of the game it becomes a different game. How many of these owners and GMs on the rules committee actually played football. To begin with it's an arbitrary call, it's not black and white. Seattle's Lynch must be losing sleep after this was passed.
Why do you think they will be running straight up? Is that how you played tackle football without pads? Rugby players don't play straight up.
I lowered my head when playing football without a helmet or pads, everyone I knew did. The only difference was the person doing the tackling, moves his head to the side. Its a natural instinct to lower the boom so to speak to prevent the defender from layin you out.
Pinche regla nueva vale verga compas! Siento que los va chingar en un juego y vamos a perder por eso!
Originally posted by pelos21:
Pinche regla nueva vale verga compas! Siento que los va chingar en un juego y vamos a perder por eso!
+ uno
This is retarded though there's an easy fix. If both players are going to penalized for banging helmets down the field, I say the players should make it a point to do it intentionally. Sooner or later the NFL will be pressured by the networks due to every game being unnecessarily prolonged and will have to revisit the rule.

Also, come the next negotiating period for the collective bargaining agreement, players should demand the right to vote on rule changes. It's beyond absurd that most of those deciding what is and isn't "safe" have never even played the game.

That should be left up to the guys taking the risk.
[ Edited by baltien on Mar 21, 2013 at 7:21 AM ]
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Not a big deal. Runner should use shoulders anyway. Most of them do anyway in today's game. These analyst's complain and say, "Well now players are going to go lower and there will be more knee injuries etc." And in the same sentence say, " Its impossible to try to not use your head and get small at the same time"
Well it is obvious that you can change your aim or your angle. It has been happening. Any player that uses they top of their head is begging for trouble. The reality is it is bad form. If tacklers would use their arms (ie. Wrapping up) to make a tackle. The likely hood of you using the top of your head is very low. How many 49ers do you see using the top of their helmets. NONE. Because they tackle by wrapping up. It is something they obviously work on through out the season and training camp. Not sure why people are freaking out about this. It is really quite simple. As a running back in the open field. You cannot square a player up and drive the top of your head into another player. That's called spearing. Its a rule that has actually been around for years.
[ Edited by MarkD on Mar 21, 2013 at 7:57 AM ]
I don't see this penalty being called very often unless it's blatantly obvious that the runner used the top of his helmet. As long as they keep their head up while lowering their bodies, they should be fine.
More game-changing 15 yard penalties that the refs may or may not have gotten right.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
I don't see this penalty being called very often unless it's blatantly obvious that the runner used the top of his helmet. As long as they keep their head up while lowering their bodies, they should be fine.

Unless the NFL tells refs to continue their "When in doubt, flag" policy that got so many PF calls wrong last year.
Originally posted by NorthNiner:
More game-changing 15 yard penalties that the refs may or may not have gotten right.

Bingo. You won't see it called all year until the 4th quarter of some playoff game. And it'll likely go in the favor of the league's current darling.

Book it.
Originally posted by Janitor:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Unless the NFL tells refs to continue their "When in doubt, flag" policy that got so many PF calls wrong last year.

too bad they didn't stick to that policy in the superbowl.
Although I'm opposed to this rule, we all know this is b/c of all of the lawsuits that are popping up against the NFL. None of us really have a right to tell these guys to quit their lawsuits, but until the lawsuits stop, the NFL will keep making rules like this.

Today, though, I heard the best argument for this rule from Herm Edwards on FT, which he stated how everyone thought the NFL would fold after the "Chuck Rule" was placed in 1978 protecting receivers, yet the game not only survived, but is thriving even more. Also, when I played back in the day (2004 is surprisingly almost a decade ago...damn I'm old ) I was coached to NEVER lead with my head b/c I could hurt myself, not the other player, so I can see where the NFL is coming from as well. I'm more worried for Frank Gore b/c he gets really low and goes all "ballistic missile" even after 5 yards.
If DBs have to keep their head up when laying a hit a ball carrier should have to as well.

Everyone cried that changing how DBs have to hit that it would change the game etc yet I've yet to see a degrade in the game.