LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 200 users in the forums

what do yall think of the new proposed rule for running backs

Shop 49ers game tickets
Well 49ers players arent taking this rule change lightly

"@AnthonyDavis76: The last generation of American Football as we know it.. This happens when the people in charge don't have a clue what it takes. #rulechange"

"@Jennings141: If running backs can not hit defenders with their helmet.. Defenders should not be able to hit running backs with theirs. #nfl #savethegame"

more to come more then likely.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I don't think it will be very difficult to distinguish. Lowering the shoulder may result in the sides of the helmets hitting but will completely take away that flat facemask/crown hit that compresses the spine. A forearm push-off following the hit will also be there on a shoulder type of hit.

Leading with the head will be obvious as it usually results in the ball carrier slipping to the ground from zero balance or getting stood up to a dead stop or dropped backward.

It won't be difficult to distinguish especially since the rule only applies outside the box.

The most difficult thing to distinguish will be whether or not the RB is outside the box.

What i dont get is how is lowering shoulders and hitting with you shoulders and sides of the helmet any safer its only going to take one defender to go in Goldson style get more of the side of the helmet then the shoulders and snap there goes the rbs neck.

True but remember, defenders are already adjusting and getting better at tackling with the shoulder rather than the helmet...and that defender will definitely get penalized if his helmet is the first contact on the ball carriers head before any other contact.
Sorry mods but...

f**king terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow.

What the f**k are they just supposed to stay upright and get blasted by 215+ pound linebackers and safeties?

This is the beginning of the demise of the sport as we know it.
I can already see controversy since the helmet lowering is not allowed post 3 yards and that will be called into question if/when rb lowers helmet before 3 yards. What if contact begins at 2.5 yards and goes longer than 3 yards? It's gonna be so subjective. IMO this hurts us b/c Gore is so good running low to the ground w/ his helmet out. Just like the "forward progress" call, this will screw us too. Share your opinions.
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
I can already see controversy since the helmet lowering is not allowed post 3 yards and that will be called into question if/when rb lowers helmet before 3 yards. What if contact begins at 2.5 yards and goes longer than 3 yards? It's gonna be so subjective. IMO this hurts us b/c Gore is so good running low to the ground w/ his helmet out. Just like the "forward progress" call, this will screw us too. Share your opinions.

Yeah they will arbitrarily and inconsistently call this play like they do with roughing the passer.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Yeah they will arbitrarily and inconsistently call this play like they do with roughing the passer.

You all know what this rule is for? So they can fix more games.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
#boycottweek1

Do something about it people, because lets face it, the NFL doesn't give a s**t what you think if they still get your money
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

The only way to somewhat mitigate this bonehead rule would be to make it a reviewable call...not sure if it should be "challengeable" by the HC, perhaps just automatically should be looked at by replay booth. And while they're at it, give the PI penalty the same treatment. Not that I want give the NFL more excuses to show commercials, but damn this is going to be one super-subjective, F'd up rule. And you can count on that.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Mar 20, 2013 at 12:01 PM ]
Matt Maiocco said it wouldn't pass, not that he knows everything. Frank "I just play football" Gore has gotta be pissed. He runs so low to the ground all he does is lead with his helmet when bracing for contact. Matt Forte tweeted he's calling the bank to open his 'lowering the boom' fund. It sucks.

Not watching football games other niners games. Also not buying any Jerseys other than niner either.
what the NFL doesn't realize along with a lot of owners of differnent sports franchises is, it all starts with the Fans... you start pulling these kind of rules out of your hats and it starts effecting the excitment of the game, fans are going to stop watching and stop attending the games.. and once that happens you know what rolls down hill.... and guess who's at the bottom of that hill..

so keep it up Gooddell, keep thinking you have more power than the fans....
Fisher supported this rule simply because he lost steven jackson and has to play to of the nfls best "battering ram" running backs twice a year.
Damn! There goes the Truck Stick in Madden.
It's ironic that the NFL was considering killing the Pro Bowl, yet is keeping it alive, thereby forcing players to RISK INJURY in a MEANINGLESS game. And with all the concerns over the "lack of intensity" players play with in the Pro Bowl, with this stupid new helmet rule they are on their way to ensuring that now we'll be treated to the same even in the regular season. I guess that's the goal, to make it a glorified touch football game with 50+ points scored by each team.
Share 49ersWebzone