There are 125 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

what do yall think of the new proposed rule for running backs

Originally posted by lordsilva25:
" 4th and goal, Gore dives in for the game winning Super Bowl play... TOUcHdOWN!!!!!........Flags thrown. " Niners get f***ed again !

haha , HAHAHA,

LMAO.

They would so do that!!!!!
Originally posted by ads_2006:
heard pete carroll was a driving force behind this rule change

here is why

this is a rule that's probably going to be "over-enforced"

phasing out power backs has begun.......
so what about a goal line toss? if the safety or corner comes in to hit the RB he just has to take it?

sounds dangerous for the RB?
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/20/helmet-rule-passes/
sissy game is going to lose fans....thanks godell
[ Edited by 16to87 on Mar 20, 2013 at 9:43 AM ]
this is some b******t I dont think going forward the NFL will be the top dog anymore with all these rule changes.

Lol, idiots. Good luck when the league is no longer king.
Did two other rules pass no more then 6 defenders on the side of the snapper on fields goals or extra points and oulawing peel back blocks.

Makes sense fisher would advocate for the helmet rule now that the lambs no longer have jackson.
At its core, this is happening because a bunch of older players are pissed they missed out on the big money of today and now they want their slice. Or are we to really believe that it's that hard to figure out that if you play a violent game for 20+ years of your life, where you take/inflict repeated blows to the head, that it just possibly could pose some risks to long-term health? And this isn't going to stop or even slow down the people who want to ban tackle football...it will only embolden them.

The NFL is in its twilight, enjoy it while you can...our kids & grandkids will not grow up to play, love, and enjoy the same game we did.

There seems to be no limit to the waivers, indemnifications, and releases of liability that I have to sign for all the various sports my kids play...and I'm the one PAYING so they can play. Simplistic, I know, but probably because it's just too much common sense, but the NFL should make every player, who have the potential to make millions of dollars, sign a waiver stating they understand it's a violent game, you can get hurt or even die, and the NFL will not be held liable.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Mar 20, 2013 at 9:59 AM ]
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Techinically, it is a great rule. Goodell is trying to get these guys to play as if they were not wearing helmets which is great. He is taking out any use of using the head as a tackling weapon.

I'm not sure why anyone would be upset with this. Just like Defenders have now adjusted to tackling more with the shoulder, RBs will adjust and try to juke instead of using their head as a battering ram in the open area.

We all have said that the true answer would be to soften the helmet and take away the face mask that will force players to defend their own dome. Goodell is forcing them to play that way.

Great rule. I think next will be for linemen, LBs and FBs not to lead with their head on initial contact.

Hopefully, he game will once again be more about skill, wrapping up, using your feet to setup a legit shoulder block instead of seeing who takes the most HGH and can be the fastest battering ram.

That's dumb. RBs that are more physical and truck defenders instead of being elusive and juke would be at a disadvantage

Which is why we rarely see RB's truck defenders anymore because using your head ins't the way to truck defenders as it usually results in an inaccurate hit and slip straight to the ground.

If you want to see RB's truck defenders, trust me, you want them to use their forearms and shoulders. It gives them much better balance to continue their run after the broken tackle.

The only drawback from not using the helmet as a battering ram is that we may see more fumbles because ball carries will use their shoulders and arms more. Lowering the head does help with ball security with both hands.

Honestly, I'm sick and tired of running backs lowering their heads and stumbling to the ground when they could have kept the run alive for more gain.
Which is why we rarely see RB's truck defenders anymore because using your head ins't the way to truck defenders as it usually results in an inaccurate hit and slip straight to the ground.

If you want to see RB's truck defenders, trust me, you want them to use their forearms and shoulders. It gives them much better balance to continue their run after the broken tackle.

The only drawback from not using the helmet as a battering ram is that we may see more fumbles because ball carries will use their shoulders and arms more. Lowering the head does help with ball security with both hands.

Honestly, I'm sick and tired of running backs lowering their heads and stumbling to the ground when they could have kept the run alive for more gain.

The problem is that even if a RB goes to lower his shoulder, at full game-speed it's going to look a lot like he's lowering his head...because he is, it's sorta how the body works. So in a split-second, the ref has to determine if his head lowered simply because the runner was bracing to absorb/deliver a blow with his shoulder, or is he initiating contact with his helmet. No different from the bad calls we see with DBs in the same situation.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Mar 20, 2013 at 10:06 AM ]
Originally posted by DelCed2486:

The problem is that even if a RB goes to lower his shoulder, at full game-speed it's going to look a lot like he's lowering his head...because he is. So in a split-second, the ref has to determine if his head lowered simply because the runner was bracing to absord/deliver a blow with his shoulder, or is he initiating contact with his helmet. No different from the bad calls we see with DBs in the same situation.

I don't think it will be very difficult to distinguish. Lowering the shoulder may result in the sides of the helmets hitting but will completely take away that flat facemask/crown hit that compresses the spine. A forearm push-off following the hit will also be there on a shoulder type of hit.

Leading with the head will be obvious as it usually results in the ball carrier slipping to the ground from zero balance or getting stood up to a dead stop or dropped backward.

It won't be difficult to distinguish especially since the rule only applies outside the box.

The most difficult thing to distinguish will be whether or not the RB is outside the box.
Cincy the only team opposing the rule change. good for them at least they tried to stop the pussification of football
Originally posted by DelCed2486:

The problem is that even if a RB goes to lower his shoulder, at full game-speed it's going to look a lot like he's lowering his head...because he is. So in a split-second, the ref has to determine if his head lowered simply because the runner was bracing to absord/deliver a blow with his shoulder, or is he initiating contact with his helmet. No different from the bad calls we see with DBs in the same situation.

I don't think it will be very difficult to distinguish. Lowering the shoulder may result in the sides of the helmets hitting but will completely take away that flat facemask/crown hit that compresses the spine. A forearm push-off following the hit will also be there on a shoulder type of hit.

Leading with the head will be obvious as it usually results in the ball carrier slipping to the ground from zero balance or getting stood up to a dead stop or dropped backward.

It won't be difficult to distinguish especially since the rule only applies outside the box.

The most difficult thing to distinguish will be whether or not the RB is outside the box.

What you say does have credence. In theory. In practice, I'm just not assured it won't be "over-officiated," no matter what Jeff Fisher says about it.

What i dont get is how is lowering shoulders and hitting with you shoulders and sides of the helmet any safer its only going to take one defender to go in Goldson style get more of the side of the helmet then the shoulders and snap there goes the rbs neck.