There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

what do yall think of the new proposed rule for running backs

" 4th and goal, Gore dives in for the game winning Super Bowl play... TOUcHdOWN!!!!!........Flags thrown. " Niners get f***ed again !
Imagine if Walter Peyton, Roger Craig, Jerome Bettis, Eric Dickerson, Larry Csonka, and even Joe Riggins or other legendary bruising backs weren't allowed to lead with their helmets. All hall of fame RB's would be dancing queens that relied on jukes and speed.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by silguero49:
Backs cant lower their heads or lead with the crown of their helmets into the defender once they r outside the box

Just one more step in the NFL's inexplicable desire to ruin the NFL.

It will be gone in a few years just like the tuck rule... I do see it's to protect the players. and if a defend can't lead with his head why should the running back. But lets be real how often will this even be called,
rbs need to lead with their shoulder
Originally posted by lordsilva25:
Imagine if Walter Peyton, Roger Craig, Jerome Bettis, Eric Dickerson, Larry Csonka, and even Joe Riggins or other legendary bruising backs weren't allowed to lead with their helmets. All hall of fame RB's would be dancing queens that relied on jukes and speed.

Don't agree. Riggins (John) and Czonka and Bettis might have struggled. The others would have been great whatever the rules.

Which isn't to say that I don't think Riggo and Czonka were great. But they were more smash mouth than the others.

Players are great relatively rather than absolutely. And quality players will find a way to gain yards whatever the rules. It will be a hard rule to call, though.
we todd it
It's a really awful idea, not sure of another way to describe it.
Goodell iSN'T ruining football. It's the LAWYERS
heard pete carroll was a driving force behind this rule change

here is why

Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Next there gunna make a rule against the stiff arm saying it gives an unfair advantage to the person with the ball.

lol
With all the pending lawsuits - Goodell is doing his job.

Lawyers are to blame.
I'm with Emmit, it's retarded. No way a RB will not try to tuck in his chin while running through traffic to protect himself from a hit. Total human instinct for protection. To do that he has to lower his helmet.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I'm with Emmit, it's retarded. No way a RB will not try to tuck in his chin while running through traffic to protect himself from a hit. Total human instinct for protection. To do that he has to lower his helmet.

And that will still be completely legal under this rule change. The rule is targeting using the helmet as a battering ram to blow up the defensive back in the open field.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
With all the pending lawsuits - Goodell is doing his job.

Lawyers are to blame.

No, he is overreacting. THere is an assumption of risk when playing football.

The problem was the NFL never advised the older players of the risks, and even worse, they lied to the players about the risks.

Now, I think its more about protecting the expensive players.
yea i don't like it either, the running backs now have to think more about how to hit a defender.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home