There are 130 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

what do yall think of the new proposed rule for running backs

Originally posted by YungAce:
Pussifying the game should = reduced salary

We're going to be paying big bucks in the future to essentially watch them play two hand touch

Yeah the players are aware of the injury risks and they are being compensated a lot for these potential risks. I'm all for safety, but it is a physical sport and you can only do so much, otherwise it won't be Football anymore.
I, for one, like this rule. I could play in a National Flag Football League!

Originally posted by Kolohe:
How many players have been injured by a RB lowering his head as opposed to players tearing their ACL's??

Face it, injuries are apart of the game.

How many RBs have suffered concussions by using their head as a battering ram? We don't know because players in the past just sucked it up and kept going.

Who cares about the job part. Ligiment damage can be fixed. Permanent brain damage can not.

Yes injuries are part of the game but at the same time you have to implement controls to limit the severity of the injury. I don't know about you but I'd rather get cut and take my money for a knee injury and enjoy the rest of my life as apposed to being a vegetable later in life.
Originally posted by kingairta:
How many players have been injured by a RB lowering his head as opposed to players tearing their ACL's??

How many RBs have suffered concussions by using their head as a battering ram? We don't know because players in the past just sucked it up and kept going.

Who cares about the job part. Ligiment damage can be fixed. Permanent brain damage can not.

Yes injuries are part of the game but at the same time you have to implement controls to limit the severity of the injury. I don't know about you but I'd rather get cut and take my money for a knee injury and enjoy the rest of my life as apposed to being a vegetable later in life.

Ligament damage never gets fully repaired and complications occur when you get older.

I'd rather have the ability to walk when i'm 60 then the ability to do geometry.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Ligament damage never gets fully repaired and complications occur when you get older.

I'd rather have the ability to walk when i'm 60 then the ability to do geometry.

Geometry!!? Research brain damage and learn what you are talking about.
Originally posted by English:

Thank you. Hard to believe someone would think that way so soon after Junior Seau's horrible ending.
What are running backs supposed to do with their head? How do physically not lead with your head when you are running forward? I does not understand how this is physically possible. Thank you and goodnight.

if the concern is safety, then why only control this outside of the tackle box? imo, the league is just trying to phase out hits that are more noticeable to everyone's view, which are just the big hits (ex. Whitner on Pierre Thomas). What i've read and heard is that it is the repetitive hits that players take from making/getting tackled and making/getting blocked where permanent brain damage occurs.

we can argue all we want about which type of injury is worse, but injuries are injuries and either will keep players from getting a paycheck and lead to shorter careers. the NFL is trying to limit one hazard by increasing another.
Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by NorthNiner:
More game-changing 15 yard penalties that the refs may or may not have gotten right.

Bingo. You won't see it called all year until the 4th quarter of some playoff game. And it'll likely go in the favor of the league's current darling.

Book it.

i'm calling the opposite............ like when crabs took an obvious helmet to the chin (RIGHT IN FRONT OF A REFEREE) but didn't get a flag on the goal line in the SB.....
Originally posted by matt49er:
The NFL needs to just put out an iron clad contract agreement that every player must sign that waives their rights to ever sue them due to injury. Football is a dangerous game, I get the QB being allowed to slide, the helmet to helmet stuff (although it's getting out of control in terms of if it's not the defensive players fault a flag is thrown anyway). but some of these rules are ridiculous and over called, this would be the worst one yet.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by matt49er:
The NFL needs to just put out an iron clad contract agreement that every player must sign that waives their rights to ever sue them due to injury. Football is a dangerous game, I get the QB being allowed to slide, the helmet to helmet stuff (although it's getting out of control in terms of if it's not the defensive players fault a flag is thrown anyway). but some of these rules are ridiculous and over called, this would be the worst one yet.

This. I hate it when players sue the league. You should know the risks when it comes to playing the physical sport. The NFL seriously needs to consider a waiver system so players can't sue.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by English:

Thank you. Hard to believe someone would think that way so soon after Junior Seau's horrible ending.

Sorry. Didn't mean to be insensitive. Was joking around.

Ive had both concussions and knee fractures with continuing complications, i'd rather have concussions. Not being able to use your leg for a year takes a toll mentally, especially if you don't have help and still work. At one point i was so sick of the pain and constant doc visits i asked the doc if amputation was an option. He quickly snapped me out of that line of thinking.

That is just me though.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Mar 25, 2013 at 6:33 PM ]
How many of you here have had to deal with a brain injury or serious tendon or ligament damage? Especially because of a football injury? It's disgusting to me when people say that players are aware of the risks and so it's not the NFL's responsibility as an organization. The negative attitude that is prevalent, especially here in this thread is astounding. Comments like "I'd rather be able to walk when I'm 60 than do geometry" and the ignorance in saying things like "that's why we pay them the big bucks" just go to show you how much we need to, as an entire culture, change our collective attitudes. Those are people.

When I was 14 I showed up, eager as hell, for the freshman football tryouts. Made the initial team, and through the next two weeks of cuts and conditioning, stayed on the roster. I worked out every goddamn day for the next four years. My shoulders had shoulders. I was 6'1'' and 285 pounds as a 17 year old in a D3 school. Played Def tackle btw. My senior year I recorded 16 sacks, three forced fumbles, one fumble rec. and 161 tackles. We went to the state championship. Lost.

You see, I was told I was invincible. The whole town loved us. People would buy me breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I had a pep girl who would do my laundry, or wash my truck if I asked. It was great. There's the sham though, as I pretty clearly wasn't invincible.

I started having trouble with my knee my junior year. I had a partial tendon tear and it was repaired over the summer between junior and senior year. I had my shoulder dislocated twice, and tore the rotator cuff over the course of my varsity season. I was told I'd be fine, and I was given multiple cortisone injections. In four years, I got four football related concussions, and one from slipping on the ice. (Totally my fault, that one. )

I'm 25 now. Not actually that far removed from the game. My UWM scholarship dried up, because I had to have my entire left knee replaced. The cartilage had worn away to almost nothing, and the joint was nearly destroyed. I had three surgeries on my shoulder, and I've still got serious pain every day and a limited range of motion. I'm addicted to vicodin. I often have difficulty recalling things that were told to me under 10 minutes previous. I've got a little notebook I carry around so I can write things down. See, turns out I've got a swath of scar tissue through my brain from those concussions. Brain injuries are tricky things. I can't tell the difference between things I should be actually upset at, and things I should brush off. In other words, I'm prone to violent anger fits. Can't work because of it.

This is all from four years of high school football.

When you say that players know the risk involved, remind yourself that these are mostly young men, and we as a country, and a culture groom and breed them into this system that tells them they are invincible, and encourages them not to worry about it. Young men always think themselves so. Did you think about what life was going to be like after 50 when you were 20? The majority of you didn't, or aren't.

Try not to be so quick to condemn the new safety measures because you think it will ruin your fun. Remember, these are people.
[ Edited by xtm059 on Mar 25, 2013 at 6:53 PM ]
Originally posted by xtm059:
How many of you here have had to deal with a brain injury or serious tendon or ligament damage? Especially because of a football injury? It's disgusting to me when people say that players are aware of the risks and so it's not the NFL's responsibility as an organization. The negative attitude that is prevalent, especially here in this thread is astounding. Comments like "I'd rather be able to walk when I'm 60 than do geometry" and the ignorance in saying things like "that's why we pay them the big bucks" just go to show you how much we need to, as an entire culture, change our collective attitudes. Those are people.

When I was 14 I showed up, eager as hell, for the freshman football tryouts. Made the initial team, and through the next two weeks of cuts and conditioning, stayed on the roster. I worked out every goddamn day for the next four years. My shoulders had shoulders. I was 6'1'' and 285 pounds as a 17 year old in a D3 school. Played Def tackle btw. My senior year I recorded 16 sacks, three forced fumbles, one fumble rec. and 161 tackles. We went to the state championship. Lost.

You see, I was told I was invincible. The whole town loved us. People would buy me breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I had a pep girl who would do my laundry, or wash my truck if I asked. It was great. There's the sham though, as I pretty clearly wasn't invincible.

I started having trouble with my knee my junior year. I had a partial tendon tear and it was repaired over the summer between junior and senior year. I had my shoulder dislocated twice, and tore the rotator cuff over the course of my varsity season. I was told I'd be fine, and I was given multiple cortisone injections. In four years, I got four football related concussions, and one from slipping on the ice. (Totally my fault, that one. )

I'm 25 now. Not actually that far removed from the game. My UWM scholarship dried up, because I had to have my entire left knee replaced. The cartilage had worn away to almost nothing, and the joint was nearly destroyed. I had three surgeries on my shoulder, and I've still got serious pain every day and a limited range of motion. I'm addicted to vicodin. I often have difficulty recalling things that were told to me under 10 minutes previous. I've got a little notebook I carry around so I can write things down. See, turns out I've got a swath of scar tissue through my brain from those concussions. Brain injuries are tricky things. I can't tell the difference between things I should be actually upset at, and things I should brush off. In other words, I'm prone to violent anger fits. Can't work because of it.

This is all from four years of high school football.

When you say that players know the risk involved, remind yourself that these are mostly young men, and we as a country, and a culture groom and breed them into this system that tells them they are invincible, and encourages them not to worry about it. Young men always think themselves so. Did you think about what life was going to be like after 50 when you were 20? The majority of you didn't, or aren't.

Try not to be so quick to condemn the new safety measures because you think it will ruin your fun. Remember, these are people.

i dont' disagree with rules being put in for player safety. i'm all for it

but what i do disagree with is where lines are being drawn, IMO there's discrepancy in the regulations (why is it only illegal for RB's to lead with their helmet outside the tackle box? is the league saying it's less dangerous running between the tackles?).... and i disagree with how they're being enforced (when in doubt throw the flag? what happened to referees needing to make the right call?)

i disagree when people say one injury is worse than others....... my point is that ALL injures will prevent the players from earning a paycheck. that's where this all started didn't it? a bunch of players aren't medically cleared to play football anymore because of brain injury and they're suing the league is not being responsible as their employer for not protecting them. where the league is at right now, the talent pool is pretty saturated if you ask me.... and any injury will lead to doubt on how well you can perform (especially for special teams guys). i read there are 4000 pending lawsuits against the NFL..... i'm sure a lot of them are concussion related, but i wouldn't doubt there being some messed up knees etc in there also......

as for your point on culture. i agree with this, the only real way to make the game safer is to change the culture. i think the NFL's head's up program is one the better ideas the league has had in a while. make the the kids understand what they're doing at an early age and phase in a new culture.