LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 256 users in the forums

Craig Dahl

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Yes, settle down it is only March! Have some faith.

I completely agree. Strangely, some people around here equate that with "blindly following Baalke" or "blind homerism." Very mixed up fans easily prone to freak outs.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Exactly. If anyone really wanted to, they could put together a very horrible collection of Dashon Goldson moments as well. What's the point? Evidently the point is freaking out, channeling Chicken Little, assuming you have a better handle on how to manage a team than Trent Baalke, etc. etc. etc.

agree, you could put together five nice little clips or gore fumbling or ck not playing well. what is the point other than to incite the townspeople to drive the evil dahl out of the village. yes poor dahl he is the scurge of our team
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
This. The outrage over Dahl's signing is over the top. The money is very reasonable for a guy who can provide solid depth and can be a key special teams player. You would think he just got 20M guaranteed for christ sake. Obviously, the Niners do not think spending a ton of money on old players makes a lot of sense.
but we have to make a move cuz seattle did, we have to over pay for people because tampa bay did. you must have missed the staff meeting. or at least he last two years when the niners have done EXACTLY this same approach. what have those results yielded?
This signing appears pretty solid. I'm a native San Franciscan living in St Louis. Dahl is a good depth pick for us and STer for sure. Guaranteed money is extremely low.

Our draft is going to be interesting. We can go after dline and secondary best available. We have players on the team, Culliver in particular, who could move to safety if necessary. Though I think he will stay at cb. Also, Trent Robinson is supposed to be looking very good. I think we will still make a move on Woodson, or another cb, Nnamdi possibly. However, I the team is waiting for the market realities to hit those guys.

Lastly, check out our salary cap number for the next two years. We have plenty of salary space earmarked for the 5 core players we will need to address over the next two years (Kap, Crabtree, Upati, Davis, and Aldon).
[ Edited by Fasteddy on Mar 17, 2013 at 10:50 AM ]
SMDH at some of the reactions in this thread and out in the general fandom universe. At the worst, he battles it out with Spillman and or a draft pick/another vet safety for the FS position.

At best, he fills Goldon's personal protector role on the punting unit in addition to filling in on other special teams units where Colin Jones excelled.

For the level-headed fans out there, a little insight as to who Dahl is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLnJUiWbeg8
[ Edited by phiLthyphiL on Mar 17, 2013 at 10:12 AM ]
This is deepest draft in terms of safety's in a while. Dahl is versatile and we've already improved our coverage units ten-fold. It didin't make sense to shell out huge cash to one of the old guys.
Originally posted by mryan1004:
Really? Thanks for the education, glad we have you to reassure how the core of a team is built. Adding a player in free agency, key word "A", to the secondary isn't asking to break the bank or expect unrealistic contract offers. It's obvious who needs to be signed and who we need cap space for. So I can just disregard a concern for the current secondary because "we have a ton of picks" sorry, there's still a hole in the defense that could use veteran leadership with more skill than what is currently on the roster. What impact do you think one of the ton of draft picks will have as a rookie this year?..

You're condescending response could easily be applied back to you...

How about the fact that you've spent a considerable amount of time on an internent message board, attempting to correct a move made by an NFL FRONT OFFICE. Make sure you copy and paste all of these replies to your resume when you apply next season.

You're a shoe-in...
  • Garce
  • Veteran
I'm really coming around to the idea of Craig Dahl signing.

Gives us an insider on the nuts and bolts of the Rams defense
  • cools
  • Veteran
I predict he's a very good special teamer for us, Though I doubt he's even the first saftey off the bench, but good to have around
as a player with experience and from what ive read good leadership/field coach intangibles
[ Edited by cools on Mar 17, 2013 at 11:53 AM ]

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Garcia:
I'm really coming around to the idea of Craig Dahl signing.

Gives us an insider on the nuts and bolts of the Rams defense
if nothing else it improves the special ed teams we had last year and that is worth it to me.maybe not to those who are slitting their wrists because we have not over payed for a 37 year old safety but those are the same people who are either unable, unwilling or just forgot that we tend to build using the draft. those are the same people who would have no problem plopping down a gazillion dollars on a couple of sexy free agents and then all of a sudden roll out the shock and awe campaign in a year (see what is happening with the ravens and the money given to joe) when we have to purge the roster and get rid of aldon smith and others
Originally posted by cciowa:
if nothing else it improves the special ed teams we had last year and that is worth it to me.maybe not to those who are slitting their wrists because we have not over payed for a 37 year old safety but those are the same people who are either unable, unwilling or just forgot that we tend to build using the draft. those are the same people who would have no problem plopping down a gazillion dollars on a couple of sexy free agents and then all of a sudden roll out the shock and awe campaign in a year (see what is happening with the ravens and the money given to joe) when we have to purge the roster and get rid of aldon smith and others

Youre right "special ed" describes our ST in the super bowl perfectly :-P
[ Edited by Dsoto87 on Mar 17, 2013 at 12:11 PM ]
Originally posted by stonecold590:
I trust Trent. After the past 2 years most should.
...and Trent trusts his coaching staff...which may be able to take this guy to the next level...

...and another thing...if we know one thing about the Niners these days is that no roster spot is guaranteed. If they find a better player, that guy will make the team over Dahl.

So...just breathe everybody...and quit your b*tchin'...
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Puckdaddy....

1 ) Kaep and Russell are not good examples. They're both on their rookie contracts. Dahl was a free agent signing for depth. Completely different situations. Kaep will cost a lot to re-sign, as will Crab, Aldon, and others. This factored into the decision to let Goldson and the others go. The team is preparing for future extensions to younger players who are more important to the teams future. Sorry, but YOUR logic is utterly ridiculous.

2 ) Under perfect circumstances, Goldson would be brought back with no regards to money or future sustainability. That's not how the NFL works, that's not how free agency works. You can only carry so many high dollar, long-term contracts. Also, the 49ers felt too much money is being invested in the defense, and that it was not sustainable long-term. They are absolutely right. Goldson could have been re-signed, but it would have had future ramifications in our ability to re-sign other core players. You point to Alex's situation in 2011, which is a very poor example. Alex was on a 1 year prove it deal. Dashon was looking to cash in on a fortune. 1 year $5 mil < 5 years $42 mil. Big difference.

3) Let me ask you....who had the bigger impact in the playoffs, Boldin or Goldson? Losing Goldson hurts, but I'll take Boldin (1 yr $6 mil), and a 1st round safety (4 yr $7 mil), over Goldson (5 yr $42 mil) every time. It's all about maximizing what you can get for your money. Goldson is very good, but he's not THAT superior to what we can get at a fraction of the cost. The team needs to carefully allocate money into the offense and defense, and they have to wisely choose which players get the big money deals. This has nothing to do with rebuilding. This is a very talented team with many players worthy of big money, but it's just impossible to pay them all. Someone has to go, it was inevitable. To me, they've handled this situation brilliantly.

Nice work, King. You and I are on the exact same page.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ubaisore:

Share 49ersWebzone