There are 87 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Tony Gonzalez NOT retiring

Originally posted by pdizo916:
I wished ATL traded him to the patriots or something at the deadline. It was the right thing to do. THe sole reason for him coming back was to play for a championship which the Falcons was no where near at the trade deadline.

as i recall he didnt want to go anywhere. had he made a stink i'm sure they would have figured something out.
Imagine Vernon and Gonzalez together?

The best TE ever teaching the next eras' best T.E.? Side by side?

We would be unstoppable.
I'd kick the tires if he'd play for the vet minimum.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Of course you don't. His last name isn't Owens and we all know Owens was the best athlete evah!! Faster than world class sprinters, stronger than everybody else, smarter than NASA.....

No, idiot, I don't think Gonzalez is the greatest tight end ever because I know that football didn't start in 1995.
Originally posted by TruthSpeaker:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Of course you don't. His last name isn't Owens and we all know Owens was the best athlete evah!! Faster than world class sprinters, stronger than everybody else, smarter than NASA.....

No, idiot, I don't think Gonzalez is the greatest tight end ever because I know that football didn't start in 1995.

Wait, wtf? Why are you calling him an idiot? He wasn't even talking to you.

And just so we're straight, you're saying Tony isn't the greatest TE of all time? This opinion blows my mind. How is he not?
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

And just so we're straight, you're saying Tony isn't the greatest TE of all time? This opinion blows my mind. How is he not?

Because a guy named John Mackey used to play in the NFL.

Can't argue that. He's one of the older players I got to see a lot of. Did more as a TE and put up big numbers as a pass catcher as well. He was considered at the time of his retirement and still is considered one of the greatest football players ever, not just tight ends.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Imagine Vernon and Gonzalez together?

The best TE ever teaching the next eras' best T.E.? Side by side?

We would be unstoppable.

Except it would require CK to make more than one read...

I Kid. I Kid. ;)
Originally posted by zaghawk:
Except it would require CK to make more than one read...

I Kid. I Kid. ;)

• buck
  • Veteran

Idiot??

Keep talking to people like that and you will not last all that long.

Ron, is that you?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Can't argue that. He's one of the older players I got to see a lot of. Did more as a TE and put up big numbers as a pass catcher as well. He was considered at the time of his retirement and still is considered one of the greatest football players ever, not just tight ends.

I respect guys like Mackey that played back in the day, but GTFO with better than Tony G. Tony only has 1,000 more receptions, 10,000 more receiving yards, and 73 more TD's than Mackey. It's too bad Truth was a PBM. I would have liked to debate this topic with him. lol
  • buck
  • Veteran
My understanding is that Mr. Gonzalez is retiring.

Resurrecting a thread whose title is approximately one season out of date makes all the sense in the world.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I respect guys like Mackey that played back in the day, but GTFO with better than Tony G. Tony only has 1,000 more receptions, 10,000 more receiving yards, and 73 more TD's than Mackey. It's too bad Truth was a PBM. I would have liked to debate this topic with him. lol

Totally different eras. It's senseless to compare those stats. When it comes to different eras, I just look at the skill set of the player (John Mackey could do everything), and where he stood during his time. The guy retired in 1972 and played only 10 years. Are you really going to do a straight head-to-head numbers comparison with guys who's careers are 25 years apart? If that's the case, Vinny Testaverde is every bit the QB that John Brodie was. People talk about the rule changes that help receivers now. We are talking playing in an era where guys would hit you in the back of the neck downfield. Mackey went into the Hall of Fame during a time when TEs just didn't get elected. There is also an award given out in college football for the best TE in the nation, named after who?

I will give Gonzalez credit for revolutionizing the position and starting this trend of taking basketball players. And his numbers are off the charts. I honestly could see it go either way. Mike Ditka's name could be thrown out there as well. I do find it interesting however that in the NFL's 100 greatest players, Gonzalez came in at 45 and Mackey was 42. I think Mackey is considered better because he is the more complete tight end. He can get in there and block and had the speed to run away from defenders.