There are 302 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2014 conditional pick for Smith

What was the condition? I thought I saw a tweet at some point that it's a 3rd with the potential to be a 2nd if Smith plays 85% of KC's offensive snaps. I can't seem to find or verify it. Is that official?
we will see.
You could be right but for sure we will know when the trade goes through when free agency starts at 4PM ET today.
I hope Alex passes for 3200+ yards and 25 TD passes ....netting us another 2nd round pick ...GO ALEX !!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I hope Alex passes for 3200+ yards and 25 TD passes ....netting us another 2nd round pick ...GO ALEX !!!!!!!!!!!

I hope he blows up! If we end up getting another 2nd round pick for Alex that would be crazy.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
What was the condition? I thought I saw a tweet at some point that it's a 3rd with the potential to be a 2nd if Smith plays 85% of KC's offensive snaps. I can't seem to find or verify it. Is that official?

If that's true, that would be fantastic. I thought it was conditional based on the number of wins the Cheifs had (that was pure speculation on my part). If it's % of offensive snaps, then that is awesome.
Originally posted by theduke85:
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:

If that's true, that would be fantastic. I thought it was conditional based on the number of wins the Cheifs had (that was pure speculation on my part). If it's % of offensive snaps, then that is awesome.

Nothing official has come out yet, but probably will today.
It really doesn't matter much. Assuming it's basically what people think, we are only talking about a dozen draft spots probably. If he plays well, and it's a second rounder, it probably means the team won 10+ games, made the playoffs, and/or he threw for 3500 yards or some other stat that means they are picking in the bottom third of the round because he/they have been successful.

If he/they don't reach those goals, and it's a third rounder, they probably have not done so well, so it's likely a high 3rd round pick, probably top 3rd or better of the round.

So, the difference between a 2nd/3rd or 3rd/4th, whatever the "conditional" part is, probably isn't that significant in the long run.
Originally posted by theduke85:
If it's % of offensive snaps, then that is awesome.

Not sure I agree with this. I know Smith has developed a reputation around here as a really tough player, but you cant say he is not incredibly injury prone. I wouldnt count on him playing 85% of the Chiefs snaps.
[ Edited by TheStick45 on Mar 12, 2013 at 11:00 AM ]
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
It really doesn't matter much. Assuming it's basically what people think, we are only talking about a dozen draft spots probably. If he plays well, and it's a second rounder, it probably means the team won 10+ games, made the playoffs, and/or he threw for 3500 yards or some other stat that means they are picking in the bottom third of the round because he/they have been successful.

If he/they don't reach those goals, and it's a third rounder, they probably have not done so well, so it's likely a high 3rd round pick, probably top 3rd or better of the round.

So, the difference between a 2nd/3rd or 3rd/4th, whatever the "conditional" part is, probably isn't that significant in the long run.

It actually does matter. If the condition is % snaps, we can root for him to play a lot but for them to lose.
Originally posted by TheStick45:
Not sure I agree with this. I know Smith has developed a reputation around here as a really tough player, but you cant say he is not incredibly injury prone. I wouldnt count on him playing 85% of the Chiefs snaps.
Well, think about the two options: it's probably going to be based on either playing time or team wins. Would you rather bank on Alex Smith playing 85% of his team's snaps, or would you rather bank on him leading a 2-14 team to 8-10 wins!?
[ Edited by theduke85 on Mar 12, 2013 at 11:10 AM ]
I hope Alex goes nuts in there. I want that 2nd round pick but I also want to see the Raiders get lit up twice a year by him too.

aside from the one shoulder injury that made him miss 1.5 seasons and hasnt been an issue since. how is he injury prone?
I thought since we traded him we are not going to get a conditional pick.
Originally posted by NinerFan408:

aside from the one shoulder injury that made him miss 1.5 seasons and hasnt been an issue since. how is he injury prone?

Yeah I was wondering that. I certainly would not say he is injury prone, let alone incredibly injury prone.

He developed a rep as a tough player because he is a tough player.