There are 180 users in the forums

Do You Want Delanie Walker Back?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Do You Want Delanie Walker Back?

Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Im not in love with him due to the dropsies but he does fit this system and he is so versatile. If he had better hands, he'd be a handful

Walker was a late rounder (6th), meanwhile our high (2nd) round tight-end has dropped almost everything thrown his way!
I miss Delanie
Originally posted by Gore_21:
You can't really complain about losing him guys as it just wasn't possible to pay a backup TE 4 years 17.5 million. Of course his numbers are higher now he's the #1 and they don't have a lot of weapons besides Wright and him. I'm sure we would have taken him back at about 1.5 million a year, maybe 2 mil but just cant do 4.375. I think McDonald could be a great player and good weapon but we haven't used him at all really. Mainly just for blocking. Need to have him sit down in soft spots, curls, do some quick outs... just get him the ball and get his confidence up with some easy catches. Then he can start making plays down the field. We haven't gone to him enough to get him into any rhythm. Makes me sick how horribly we have used some of our guys on offense and how uncreative our pass game is.

usually this would make sense... but when I think about it.... having him is more valuable that signing a couple of WRs. We have all these receivers that we have went through to get production...but it hasn't worked out.

just don't look at him as a "Backup" TE. He was on the field almost every play.

so its what Walker brought to our offense.. his mismatches.. being able to run after the catch, pass block, run block....and remember he was the one that was in our Read Option Pistol formations..and he was a great blocker then as well...and a threat coming out of that formation.

compared to a few free agent or rookie receivers.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
yah I do

vance has been a total flop
OH NO, Vance has been total flop in his freakin FIRST year in the NFL...nooooooooo, the world in san fran will go down very soon!!!!
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Give McDonald a chance...some are so quick to dismiss a rookie. If you remember, Vernon wasn't so great his first season...20 catches, 265 yds.

or how about comparing vance to walker. it took a while for delanie to become a contributer, now some of that was probably the boneheaded O before harbs showed up but the point remains.

2 receptions for 30 yards in his rookie season. To be fair thought, Eric Johnson had 200 yards and 2 TDs as he was the #2 in 2006.

Vance isn't far off, but it's more on Greg Roman and Colin Kaepernick than McDonald at this point.

well delanie broke his collar bone if i remember correctly in his rookie season. but even then the guy wasnt much of a contributer until harbaugh arrived. he had times where he started for vernon in 2007. i know ppl want to crack on mcdonald but they forget how long it took delanie to become relevant.

But then you ask yourself...late round pick vs. 2nd round pick.

The impact ability should be much higher on a 2nd rounder immediately.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Im not in love with him due to the dropsies but he does fit this system and he is so versatile. If he had better hands, he'd be a handful

Truth... but we were not comfortable or able to pay him a long-term deal averaging 4 mil per year that Tennessee did. Was time to move on.
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by YungAce:
A high draft pick can't do half the things D Love has done for us over the years.
like dropping passes?

and stretching the defense. and blocking. and making some pretty clutch passes. and backing up aldon at parties
Originally posted by YungAce:
and stretching the defense. and blocking. and making some pretty clutch passes. and backing up aldon at parties
How many years did he needed again til he was solid? How much money we would have spend for him?
Originally posted by Afrikan:
usually this would make sense... but when I think about it.... having him is more valuable that signing a couple of WRs. We have all these receivers that we have went through to get production...but it hasn't worked out.

just don't look at him as a "Backup" TE. He was on the field almost every play.

so its what Walker brought to our offense.. his mismatches.. being able to run after the catch, pass block, run block....and remember he was the one that was in our Read Option Pistol formations..and he was a great blocker then as well...and a threat coming out of that formation.

compared to a few free agent or rookie receivers.

You have a point but no guarantee that he still chooses us if we offer that or close to it. I would think after 6 years as a backup he wanted a chance to start (more like be the #1 guy) and he wouldn't get that here. Also, 17.5 mil is a lot... well maybe not compared to what the top TE's get but look at it this way:

Walker - 17.5 mil
Dorsey, Skuta, Osgood, Wright, Dahl, Ventrone, Snyder, Dawson, Ian Williams - Roughly 20-22 mil

And yeah guys Walker took a long time to get where he is today. First 5 years only 2 tds. 3 Tds in his last 2 years with us and he's almost matched that in 10 games but again helps being the #1 guy. He passed his season total in any of his 7 years with us in like 9 games with the Titans.

And as I said with McDonald we haven't used him much as a receiver, mainly a blocker. Just have underutilized him and not used him right. His drops don't help but Walker had plenty of those as well. Not everyone liked Walker but like I said if he would have came back cheap enough we would have kept him around. I'm sure we wanted him back but couldn't afford him and like I said after 6 years as the #2 guy he probably wanted to be #1.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Nov 19, 2013 at 4:24 PM ]

I remember when everyone was bashing Delanie once we drafted Mcdonald. lololol
OH NO, Vance has been total flop in his freakin FIRST year in the NFL...nooooooooo, the world in san fran will go down very soon!!!!

He was draft as high as he was because he was suppose to be able to contribute right away.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by 9ers:

He was draft as high as he was because he was suppose to be able to contribute right away.

I think he'll be decent down the road but right now he hasn't given us much.
People hated on him a lot and expected him to be a world beater. But he was great for what he was....a second string TE who was very versitle and was a threat in the passing game.

Now we have Celek and McDonald...

Although I think Tenn overpaid for a #2 TE.
HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS i never wanted him gone in the first place him not being here has affected our offense so much! he always commanded respect down field cause of his versatility he usually would free things up underneath for Crabtree. Mcdonald in no way commands that kind of down field presence. This is what pisses me off about Balkee and staff they knew how important Walker was and they got all cheap and replaced him in the draft usually that kind of mentality back fires. As it is right now.
Share 49ersWebzone