There are 85 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Ravens and Joe Flacco agree on new deal

Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Those numbers don't deserve 20 mill a year.
Look at Brady and Manning's numbers. That deserves 20 mill a year. Flacco isn't a top 10 quarterback.

Brady and Manning have not had the same playoff success as Flacco has over the last few seasons. Flacco may not be top 10 but he's CLUTCH in the playoffs and has shown that he can get to the playoffs consistently off the strength of his arm. You will pay through the nose for that.

Regular season stats mean nothing if your QB can win you championships and play a key roll at that.
Originally posted by leebert81:
Flacco throws punts. $20M? Now that's funny.

yet teams can't stop him. Pay the man.
Some guy I dont know, who plays for a team I dont watch, just made $20 Million a year. Big deal. Good for him and his family. I'll go pay my $4 for gas (likely more in CA where most of you are) and keep working with no hopes that someday I could throw a ball around for 10-15 years and be worth this type of cash.
The Ravens shouldn't have paid him based on what Manning(s), Brady, Rodgers, or Brees gets. Flacco has already won as many super bowls as Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, and Drew Brees have and yes Flacco is the main reason they got there and a huge reason they've won a playoff game every year he's been there. That defense wasn't THAT great this last year.
Manning and Brady can't set the bar for contracts anymore. They are basically "last generation" QB's now and Aaron Rodgers is severely underpaid right now, in the next two years he'll get a bigger contract than Flacco. At this point Kaep does not deserve a bigger contract than Flacco.
[ Edited by btthepunk on Mar 3, 2013 at 6:55 AM ]
Why are people bringing up Alex Smith in this thread? Let it go.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing

I hear the Flacco cap numbers in years 1 and 2 of the proposed contract are $6.8m and $14.8m. Huge help for Ravens if it gets signed Monday.
Originally posted by guillotine31:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Ravens and Super Bowl MVP Joe Flacco have agreed to deal, as@JayGlazer reported. Expected to make Flacco highest-paid QB in NFL history.

Overpaid IMO.

This. He's Alex Smith with more deep ball accuracy. Should get $11 Mil a year tops.

You must have missed this part.

His 63 wins in the regular season/postseason are most by a QB in his first 5 seasons in the Super Bowl era
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Those numbers don't deserve 20 mill a year.
Look at Brady and Manning's numbers. That deserves 20 mill a year. Flacco isn't a top 10 quarterback.

Top 10 in my book

1. Kaepernick SF
2. Rodgers GB
3. Luck IND
4. E Manning NYG
5. Brees NO
6. Griffin III WAS
7. Wilson SEA
8. Newton CAR
9. Flacco BAL
10. Ryan ATL

No Brady or Peyton as they are 36 and 37 years old. Would you trade Kaepernick for maybe one or two years from those guys? Didn't think so. All of the above are $20 mil / year worthy guys.

lol ALL of these guys are 20 mil guys? You realize this Flacco deal is the most an NFL player has ever been paid, right? So all 10 of these guys should get historic deals?

Right now top 10:

1. Brady
2. Rodgers
3. Brees
4. P.Manning
5. Big Ben
6. E.Manning
7. Ryan
8. Kaepernick
9. Wilson
10. Flacco

Top 10 if youre basing it on the next 5-8 years:

1. Rodgers
2. Brees
3. Kaepernick
4. Luck
5. Ryan
6. Wilson
7. E.Manning
8. RGIII
9. Big Ben
10. Newton

Either way, Joe Flacco is not a special player. Hes barely top 10 now, only because of his playoff poise. In the regular season only id drop him a bunch. Guys like Stafford, Dalton, Cutler, Romo, etc are better during the regular season.

In the 6 years during this contract, he will probably never be a top 10 guy, which is why it was a terrible move. Its an emotional, knee-jerk reaction to winning the SB. The Ravens got caught up in the hype of a great postseason from Flacco, and forgot that hes not a star. I have a hard time believing he wouldve turned down an 80 mil. contract. What other team was going to give him more than that? They panicked and screwed up.

Hopefully for BAL they built stipulations that say he must then perform like a top 5 QB overall to gain that full 20 mil a season.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by guillotine31:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Ravens and Super Bowl MVP Joe Flacco have agreed to deal, as@JayGlazer reported. Expected to make Flacco highest-paid QB in NFL history.

Overpaid IMO.

This. He's Alex Smith with more deep ball accuracy. Should get $11 Mil a year tops.

You must have missed this part.

His 63 wins in the regular season/postseason are most by a QB in his first 5 seasons in the Super Bowl era

Theyre success has always been because of the D. Joe Flacco is a mediocre regular season QB. He benefits greatly from his team. Aaron Rodgers leads his team to the playoffs. Joe Flacco is along for the ride, and then has a knack for coming up big once hes there.

Dont get me wrong, thats a great quality, but ESPN cramming the "playoff wins" thing down everyones throat about Flacco is getting old. The Ravens have 63 wins in the last 5 years, not Flacco. A fantastic defense and head coach are much more of the reason they have those wins than Joe Flacco.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Theyre success has always been because of the D. Joe Flacco is a mediocre regular season QB. He benefits greatly from his team. Aaron Rodgers leads his team to the playoffs. Joe Flacco is along for the ride, and then has a knack for coming up big once hes there.

Dont get me wrong, thats a great quality, but ESPN cramming the "playoff wins" thing down everyones throat about Flacco is getting old. The Ravens have 63 wins in the last 5 years, not Flacco. A fantastic defense and head coach are much more of the reason they have those wins than Joe Flacco.

I wonder what you think of our QB's.
I could be dreaming, but I don't think Kap looks at his value by his salary. He quickly signed his rookie contract to be a Niner NOW (unlike Crabtree). No negotiations. He still drives his "piece-of-crap-car" that he did in college.

I think he will measure his relevance by Super Bowl rings and not salary like many players. He doesn't talk team, he lives team.

But, his financial advisers won't let him go at a drop-rate discount, either. He will be somewhat reasonable I suspect. A good team player won't cripple his team by getting more than his fair share (If an 8 figure salary can be called "fair").

If you think I'm wrong, copy my profile down, blast me next year. I will take the heat for being wrong.
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
yet teams can't stop him. Pay the man.

Easy said if you aren't a Ravens fan. But is he the second coming of Peyton Manning or Trent Dilfer?
I have two step-sons who were big time Raiders fans (I don't need any empathy but thank you nonetheless and Yes they are Laker and Yankees fans to make it worse), one loved Ed Reed and abandoned the Raiders. He now see no future for his Ravens. Also is a huge Kap fan. I think he might be leaving the "dark side" for the The Force.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Easy said if you aren't a Ravens fan. But is he the second coming of Peyton Manning or Trent Dilfer?
I have two step-sons who were big time Raiders fans (I don't need any empathy but thank you nonetheless and Yes they are Laker and Yankees fans to make it worse), one loved Ed Reed and abandoned the Raiders. He now see no future for his Ravens. Also is a huge Kap fan. I think he might be leaving the "dark side" for the The Force.

Dilfer? Really?
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
Dilfer? Really?

Seriously. He's already had a way better career than Dilfer.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora

Sounds like Ravens will formally announce a signed contract with Joe Flacco around 2pm ET Monday