LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 296 users in the forums

Packers sending coaches to learn how to defend read-option

Shop 49ers game tickets
I predict we won't use the read option as much and Kap lights it up throwing TD's.
lol nice timing....
Tries to defend read option

Kaep throws for 450 yards
What they are missing and all these analysts are missing is Kaep has the strongest arm in the NFL. He's also accurate. He's plenty effective in the pocket. He's a hard guy to stop. The only time I've ever seen him run around that much was the Packer game. Because they didn't keep end of the line discipline. But everybody thinks he is a "running QB."..... In the Atlanta game and the Super Bowl he didn't run that much.
Originally posted by YungAce:
Tries to defend read option

Kaep throws for 450 yards

So you wanna get beat like the falcons instead mike? Cause kaep can beat you both ways lol
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
The Redzone ‏@TheRedzoneorg

Chuck Pagano: Read-option can be stopped http://tinyurl.com/ba8n6ol #NFL
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I predict we won't use the read option as much and Kap lights it up throwing TD's.

I hope this is the case. I would like to see him have 2 designed runs a game just to keep the threat there but not to rely on it. Seattle will take cheap shots.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Smart Football ‏@smartfootball
I do think it's unlikely that NFL Ds look as totally incompetent (Green Bay) against read option as last season. That free lunch can't last

Eric Stoner ‏@ECStoner
It's weird that ppl think it will "go away" when I see Inside Zone and Power O get shut down in half the games every week @smartfootball

@ECStoner Arizona Cards 1) couldn't move the ball and 2) got all its QBs injured - all without any read plays at all, and a Hall of Fame WR
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

You can't just say "DE hits QB" vs read stuff b/c good teams change who they read *and* block. Cat and mouse game:
http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2009/06/why-you-cant-just-play-assignment.html

• dj43
Every defensive coordinator in the league will spend the off-season learning to defend the read/option next season. Some will become very good at it while other continue to struggle, but it will not be as easy to run it next season than it was this year. That is why it is a must that the 49ers find a solid #2 WR before next season. There was just not enough depth at WR this past season. There hasn't been for 10 years.
I'm interested to see how defenses will respond. The hard thing about the read option is every QB runs it differently. Really, it's more of a play than it is a scheme.

So you have to study what a given QB's tendencies are. And that's a butt load of variables to have to account for before the snap. Adding to the problem is most defenses simply aren't equipped to deal with this new breed of dual-threat QB's.

If you looks back to our game vs. the Packers. They were all just flat out too slow to catch Kap. Same with the Ravens.

You won't fix that in just one offseason.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer

Nick Saban just said on ESPN that a number of NFL coaches have come thru Bama this offseason looking for help on dealing with the zone-read.

... Saban said a problem for the NFL is it's a "pass rush-oriented league", and that the zone-read sets up to gash overpursuing defenses.

Saban also mentioned the Niners as the team that's best at the zone-read in the league, because they run it out of so many different looks.
As usual Kaep is stil a couple steps ahead of Green Bay and other defenses http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/04/one-step-ahead-kaepernick-working-to-increase-speed-this-offseason.html
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
What they are missing and all these analysts are missing is Kaep has the strongest arm in the NFL. He's also accurate. He's plenty effective in the pocket. He's a hard guy to stop. The only time I've ever seen him run around that much was the Packer game. Because they didn't keep end of the line discipline. But everybody thinks he is a "running QB."..... In the Atlanta game and the Super Bowl he didn't run that much.

Plus, a lot of his yards were on plays where the Packers blitzed and ran past him opening up the field for a scramble run. Last season, the Niners ran Kaepernick on designed running plays 3% of the time. Newton, RGIII and Wilson all ran designed running plays more often than the Niners did for Kaepernick. Next season, I predict that they'll run the read-option as a wrinkle in the offense now and then, no more than that.
Share 49ersWebzone